• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Setting up a new project

Duke Serkol

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi guys,

I'm that newcomer from a while ago who had plans to make a Robocop 3 fanedit. I still do, but I haven't been able to start on it because my computer broke down.
Now I've got it fixed but something else has come up: having seen Tron Legacy I decided to make a fanedit of that movie first. This is both because I couldn't stop thinking of how I'd cut it up as I watched it and because I suspect it may be easier and therefore a better way to get started (Robocop3 will need a big effort to make into an acceptable flick).

Now getting started is exactly what I'm having some problems with. In a previous thread I mentioned how I was hoping to work with more than one audio track (for multiple languages). I'd ripped the disc with DVD Shrink and was told to use DVD Decrypter instead.
This time I've used DVD Decrypter, but Premiere refuses to read the resulting VOB files.

Could someone tell me what exactly I should be doing to properly set up the project? Or point me to a simple guide?
My intent here would be both to have multiple audio tracks and to make it so that the resulting video will remain faithful to the original in terms of proportions, resolution etc. (wish I could just tell Premiere to adopt those of a determined existing video rather than having to set those up before I can import one).

Thanks in advance!

I am not a Premiere user, but you will probably have to demux the video and audio files from the VOBs for use in the software.

For this you can use: PGCdemux, or VOB2MPG. I also recommend editing an AVI (lagarith is best) instead of the MPG streams from your DVD. Only Womble really handles MPG without much problem.

Ah, so wait... should I use PGCdemux/VOB2MPG on the files DVD Decrypter gave me (which are many as it broke the film in several vobs) or directly with the DVD?

Either way, I set the putput as AVI? Or do I convert it to that later with another program? (And then, I presume, I turn it back into a DVD compliant format once I'm finished?)

Thanks for the help :)

PGCdemux and VOB2MPG do not convert video. There is no option to output as AVI. The simply demux the video (or demux and remux into an MPG in the case of VOB2MPG).

What I would do is:
-rip the DVD to your HDD (using decrypter, or DVDFab, or something similar)
-demux the audio/video streams (using PGCdemux)
-convert to AVI using virtualdub

edit the AVI.

Thanks guys :)

After a couple hectic days I finally sat down and tried to follow the instructions as presented in Boon's thread.
I've run into a small problem though: when instructed to use PgcDemux, I'm told to look for the biggest file to find the movie. However, DVDFab rather than creating one large vob file for the whole movie has made several small ones for segments of it. I can't seem to find any options concerning that in DVDFab... am I missing something obvious?

Yes; you look for the longest runtime when you have loaded up PGCDemux by using the program itself. Click Browse next to Input Ifo and try opening each Ifo in turn until you find the one what gives a runtime that matches your movie: that's what find the biggest file means.

Mode: by PGC
Domain: Titles
Demux video stream: checked
Demux audio streams: checked

Check anything else you want. Fill out your output folder. Process.

Ah, I see now, the IFO file will point PGCDemux to all the vob files the movie was split into allowing it to produce a single m2v file. Thank you!

Well then, the next step in Boon's guide says that "To work with 2.0 audio you need to convert the 5.1 ac-3 audio to 2.0 PCM."
Does this mean the sound will go from surround to just stereo? (I'd rather keep it in surround, but if that causes problems to programs like Vegas and Premier I guess there's no choice).

Also I would like to make my fanedit in more than one language, so I'll keep the audio separate from the video. Do I still need to change the m2v file to avi using VirtualDub, as Boon suggests? (And maybe convert the audio files separately as well?)

Vegas and Premiere can both work in 5.1. If you want to work in full 5.1, use Hypercube Transcoder to split your AC-3 5.1 file into six mono wavs. Instructions are in ADM's
showthread.php
guide. Some people use Besweet.

Headac3he will downmix 5.1 to 2.0 surround (or sterero if you want). Some people work like this and upmix the audio back to 5.1 later, but you seem to want to keep true 5.1 so forget Headac3he for now and use one of the programs above.

Also I would like to make my fanedit in more than one language, so I'll keep the audio separate from the video. Do I still need to change the m2v file to avi using VirtualDub, as Boon suggests? (And maybe convert the audio files separately as well?)

Yes to both questions. Are you working from an NTSC DVD?

Captain Khajiit said:
If you want to work in full 5.1, use Hypercube Transcoder to split your AC-3 5.1 file into six mono wavs. Instructions are in ADM's
showthread.php
guide.
Skipping straight to Step 6?
So wait... for two languages, I'd end up loading and editing 12 wavs simultaneously in Premiere? Yowza!

Captain Khajiit said:
Some people use Besweet.
Ah, I think I used that one a few years ago when trying to make a regular DVD out of some DivX files.
Which one would you say it's simpler/faster?

Captain Khajiit said:
Yes to both questions. Are you working from an NTSC DVD?
No, all my DVDs are PAL.

Yes; it's step 6 in ADM's guide. Making 5.1 for two languages is indeed an undertaking! I considered doing that when I first started editing and soon changed my mind. You will have to apply all your audio edits to both sets of WAVs, and the levels might well be different, so it might not simply be a case of applying the same crossfade from set to another.

I direct people to Hypercube Transcoder because it labels the channels and ADM's guide provides clear instructions. Use Besweet if you prefer. I don't know which is faster.

Good luck!

Captain Khajiit said:
I direct people to Hypercube Transcoder because it labels the channels and ADM's guide provides clear instructions. Use Besweet if you prefer. I don't know which is faster.

BeSweet labels the channels as well. From my recollection, BeSweet was significantly faster than other options. I know Cinematize runs at a snails pace. BS is really fast.

Besweet would be a better choice for him then. I don't use either; I just point out Hypercube Transcoder because all the instructions are in ADM's guide.

Ok I downloaded and installed Hypercube Transcoder 3.05, followed ADM's instructions up to when I'm to hit the transcode button, but upon doing so the program tells me that the AC3 format is not supported. What gives? :shock:

Maybe there's a plugin I need to get first? If not, I guess I'll have to try another program.

I just tried it and didn't receive that error message. I don't remember installing any plugins specifically for this program, but it's been a while since I installed it. Are you sure you followed all of ADM's instructions?

what OS are each of you using? also, 32 or 64 bit. this should provide some insight.

Ah, I'm using XP 32 Bits. Is that it?

And yes, followed all the instructions in step 6. Maybe it's something in previous steps?

Duke Serkol said:
Ah, I'm using XP 32 Bits. Is that it?

I don't believe so. My old laptop ran XP 32bit and I don't recall having a problem on that either. I don't think the previous steps relate to Hypercube Transcoder. Try Besweet, but you'll have to ask Throw for instructions; I've never liked Besweet.

with both of you using 32 bit systems, there should be no problem. give BeSweet a try. it is incredibly easy. Not sure why you never liked it captain...

Back
Top Bottom