• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Safely split an .avi file.

DoctorM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have an HD Xvid file with DTS audio that I'm using for a personal HD2DVD project.

I'd like to make a back up of the original Xvid in case I need it later for some other purpose.

The file comes in at 5.33gb. I'd rather not waste a dual layer disc on it.

Does anyone know a lossless way to split an avi file like this, without damage, that will allow me to reassemble it later on my HDD should I need it?

Also would the split files be playable as well?

I'm aware it can be split using VDub, but I suspect that isn't without damage.

you can split it with winrar. It is not watchable that way, but can be united back whenever you want to.

yeah you'll need a container like rar (or tar, zip, etc.) and do a binary split rather than having a few video files...

Using the newest version of TMPGEnc DVD author would also work, as it supports the xvid format. You can set the end frame where you want so it'll fit on a single layer DVD (preferably perhaps a few seconds over normal to assure no frames are lost at the end) , write that to a folder, burn it to disc, do the second half the same way. This method is lossless, and immediately accessible to watch as a DVD. The files can later be ripped back to mpeg-2 using VOB2MPG, or any other preferred ripper.

Yeah, I was sort of thinking winrar was my best answer.
I was hoping to have some playback ability, but to tell you the truth the original avi needed some work before it made a good DVD.
It was way to dark and the colors were skewed.

I suppose if I really want HD playback I should recode with the same filters in x264 at DVD5 size AND archive using .rar.

Sdh: Sorry if I was unclear. I want to archive the original Xvid.
The DVD will be burned normally.

Back
Top Bottom