• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Return of the Jedi: Dan Edit

spence said:
I have the cd with that track on it, and no wookiee growls to speak of. It's actually my favorite piece of star wars music.

I did a quick edit with this track over the end montage. To be honest I felt it didn't really work - the music is quite militaristic, and while that fit perfectly with the formal mise-en-scene of the medal ceremony, it seems out of place here.

I'll wait for a couple more reviews, and if no one digs the new end music I may just revert to the original SE score, and probably also ditch the funeral pyre montage.

The final BSG version will hopefully be ready in the next 24 hours.

Rogue-theX said:
Is that the song adm used for his return of the jedi montage?

Sorry, I don't know. I haven't seen ADM's cut of the film.

I've decided to revert back to the SE music, and also take out my funeral pyre montage. I'm rendering now, hopefully the final version will be online by the end of the weekend.

Looking forward to snagging the final version!

spence said:
Looking forward to snagging the final version!

Cool. Thanks, Spence, I appreciate your enthusiasm.

At the last moment I put the rancor scene back in. The continuity issue of Luke's cloak I decided was a bit too much of a problem to ignore. If it wasn't for the cloak's sudden disappearance I'd definitely have kept it out, but... I don't know, I guess this is the right choice. I don't love the scene, but after taking out some of the worst effects shots and the ridiculous rancor keeper it's not too awful.

Nothing about that particularly bothered me. I have no hate for the rancor though.

Just saw the Luke/Vader deleted scene. That would have blatantly gone into my edit, if a remastered version was available.

spence said:
So say we all.
It's a pretty great scene. Very TESB. The trouble would be, were anyone to add it, the 'Vader trying to turn Luke' plot is never returned to after this. Still, if this is decent quality on the Blu-ray, and if the other rumoured deleted scene where Vader kills Jerjerrod is included (and who knows, maybe other scenes we don't know about) you could make Vader come across much more like the badass of TESB.

The other thing, besides the coolness, of the scene: it's a much more elegant way of switching the focus from Vader/DS2 to Tatooine.

Were you in the room when Jon Stewart introduced the scene at SW Celebration? You wrote in another thread you were going to Celebration.

Yeah, I was in there. It was Stewart, Lucas and Mark Hamill. Hamill made a joke about his entrances in the Star Wars movies always getting cut. We should get to see them on the blu-ray though!

The edit is finished. Being uploaded to RS now. If one of the mods would like access to the links PM me.

Thanks. =)

im definitely looking forward to this. between this and Spence's edit of ROTJ, should have a definitive copy of Jedi.

While I'm waiting for the edit to be accepted/denied by FE, if anyone wants the RS links directly send me a PM.

Quick update:

L8wrtr felt that a few shots needed redoing, so they've been fixed - however I've since gone a bit further. The band music after Chewie is led away at Jabba's palace was bugging me. By taking out a shot of Fett (who's not in my film) and a silly shot of Salacious Crumb, the music becomes choppy and I couldn't get it smoothed out. I listened to the soundtrack and 'Bounty for a Wookiee' has JW's score over that moment, I added it and like it. I feel it goes better with the more dramatic, moody atmosphere I'm trying to create at Jabba's palace.

It's been uploaded to Youtube - I apologise for the quality, I had to compress it fairly heavily (my internet speed at home is horrible at the moment)

Link:

Any comments gratefully received.

Not bad :).
And the youtube quality wasnt bad either.
You need to complete the sound effects/folley towards the end. When chewie is being taken below, the sound fx/folley slowly fades until there it is gone and we are left with the music, i assume this is because of the original music in the audio track you were working with and you didn't want the two to 'collide'. We need to here all of chewies growl's witch you can find more of on the starwars.com soundboards, and we need to hear some more gamorean guard grunt/burp's. as for the bug eating creature outside of jabba's palace, im sure you will be able to find some sounds that will do.

I do hope this help's you out in some way:)
Oh and i like where your going with this.

Thanks for the comments.

It's tricky taking the sound effects from the 5.1 central channel without any of the original music seeping in. Chewie going down the stairs is where the music is loudest and Chewie's growls are quietest, but from the bottom of the stairs onwards I thought the volume was ok. I can increase that a little but the first moments of that scene are harder to get right. I'll add more Chewie growls from other sources for when he is led down the stairs.

About the frog-thing outside the palace, I added a sound effect of him getting that bug. Again, I can turn that up a bit but apart from that I don't know what sound effects are needed. I'm certainly not adding a burp sound effect. :p

Take 2. This time it's a real Chewie roar-a-rama. I also turned up the guards' pig noises a bit.

Link:

I've also been tweaking the ending, and thought I'd put up the last two minutes of the film as it stands right now. Again, compression means quality isn't great.

Link:

I like what your doing with the ending, that music fits pretty well IMO, the only thing that doesnt fit is the transition from the new music to the end credit music at 2:21, the old music fades too quick and the pitch seems just a tad off, but i think if you reverberated the last notes of the new music before the credit music comes in it would flow better, the new music needs to carry just a little more into the credits music. We need to hear more crowd cheering throughout, maybe you are wanting to let the music do the work? but i think it would be more pleasing if we hear crowd cheering.

In jabbas palace, when they take chewie away, we could maybe hear a bit more chatter from jabba's homies.

Really like what your doing with the ending, keep perfecting that.:)

Thanks again for your thoughts! Really appreciated.

I'm glad you like it - I was much more anxious about uploading the last scene due to how different it is to the original. I'll definitely keep tweaking the music to get it blended together better. Re: crowd noise - do you mean during the around-the-galaxy montage or during the ewok party? For the galaxy montage I put in crowd noise already, I can certainly make that a bit louder, but during the ewok party I think I'd rather not include any other sounds. I feel the music is powerful (it reminds me of the final scene of TESB - which is exactly what I was going for) and adding ewok celebration sounds and other party-esque noises would, IMO, deter from the mood of the scene.

If there's demand for it I can upload other scenes from the edit to Youtube, but I must admit there doesn't seem to be much interest in this edit.

I think the crowd cheering should be consistent in volume from bespin all the way back to endor and then you can fade out on the cheering to get the impact your after, each planet: bespin, tatooine, courscant ect. should differ in the overall sound of the crowds, so each enviroment is somewhat unique.

The crowd noise does vary throughout - but I'll go back and make the cheering more clearly different on each planet. Coruscant is (and should) definitely be loudest as the camera pans down a lot closer to the crowd.

I'll keep working on it. :)

Back
Top Bottom