• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Resident Evil: Welcome to Raccoon City - New Game Plus

CriticalHitRate

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

Description​

After 20 years of bad live-action adaptations of Resident Evil, “Welcome to Raccoon City” is my favorite, so I figured I might as well try to optimize it.

I like the casting, cinematography, original score, set design, and how it at least generally emulates the structure of the first two games. I dislike the bloated plot and out-of-character behavior, especially for Leon.

With my edit, Leon and Claire become the heroes of their own stories, and the simpler plot trims the runtime to less than 90 minutes, leaving a quick and more enjoyable experience to wrap up before it overstays its welcome.

Major Edits​

Warning: The following list includes major spoilers.

• Removed subplots I thought broke immersion, slowed pacing, or otherwise were executed poorly:
    • Chris and Claire growing up at the orphanage, including all flashbacks. Although: The Redfields still lost their parents at a young age, Chris still grew up under William and Umbrella's influence, and Claire still ran away from home and distrusts William and Umbrella.
    • Everything related to Lisa, who doesn’t make sense without the flashbacks
  • Significantly reframed how Leon's characterized. He's still a rookie, but:
    • He's no longer at the receiving end of every criticism, outburst, or joke
    • He didn’t transfer to Raccoon City because of a friendly fire accident
    • He doesn’t appear to be touching a gun for the first time
    • He doesn’t let Ben steal the gun
    • He defends himself more proactively
  • Removed the mid-credits scene, partly because it's cheesy and partly because it teases a highly unlikely sequel
  • Changed some of the background music where necessary because of heavily edited scenes
  • Updated the logo and time stamps to emulate the style of the video game series

Minor Edits​

Warning: The following list includes minor spoilers.

• Removed a shot of Claire eating unrefrigerated pizza
  • Removed dialogue suggesting Leon's interested in Jill romantically
  • Removed dialogue/shots suggesting a Chris/Jill/Wesker love triangle
  • Removed or shortened some of Chief Irons' outbursts
  • Removed a generic “creepy children’s toy” shot

Last edited:
Happy there's a few Resident Evil fans here! I watched it from beginning to end last night, and it's close - no major issues, only a few things to adjust and a few finishing touches to add. I have family in town this weekend and probably no time to edit, but next weekend is a long weekend, so I'm going to try to finish it then.

I hugely appreciate what you're changing about Leon. He got it rough in the film, and he's one of my favorite video game characters ever, so I love that!

I brainstormed a lot of title options and ultimately decided to append "New Game Plus" to the original title - a self-aware reference I hope the video game fans enjoy. The title inspired me to design a poster like the title screen of a game. Here's a preview:
I've finished editing and updated the OP with the final summary of edits. I'll be exporting tonight and submitting to IFDB before the weekend.

Cheers.

Can't wait to see it, as you can imagine by my avatar Leon is my fav character and they did a horrible thing with him in this film

Back
Top Bottom