• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Resident Evil Film Series: The Unfair Cut

unfair

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
My primary focus for this edit was to take a rather crazy series and turn it into something over-the-top but cohesive. Later in the series it has a tendency to feel like a bit of a retcon of itself, and with careful editing I was able to keep most of the journey while making it seem like a natural progression.

PLEASE NOTE: This edit is a companion to the original Resident Evil (2002) film, essentially turning it into a 6 hour trilogy (the series was originally 10 hours long), this does not use the first film in the edit, just the following five films.

Release info: This uses the Extended version of Apocalypse since there are small but significant scenes scattered throughout that significantly improve the quality. The Extended version is hard to find, there were only three BluRay releases as far as I can tell, a German version, a higher quality Japanese version, and the 4k disc release, which as far as I can tell always contains both the Theatrical and Extended versions (only in 4k, the included 1080p disc is only theatrical)

Cliptrailer:

Below is the detailed edit list:

EP1

+ Moved the Final Chapter backstory introduction to the start of the edit
- cut the Apocalypse intro pre-logo
- trimmed part of Alice exiting the hospital
- recut professor conversion
- trimmed licker reveal
- cut comic relief guy with zombie hookers
- trimmed unnecessary fade
- trimmed zombies from graveyard scene
- trimmed comic relief guy being sassy to Nemesis
- cut little girl backstory flashback
- recut Alice Nemesis fight and flashback realization
- trimmed helicopter exploding twice
- trimmed shot of nuke and zombies (they would have been obliterated if the cruise missile actually arrived this early)
- recut the helicopter nuke shots to remove the implication that Alice was hurt, implying the little girl was the one that died in the crash
- cut long sequence with new Alice clone waking up and subsequent lab and breakout scenes
- cut Extinction title card and pre-card intro scenes
- trim the pandemic story a bit
- recut the Umbrella meeting a bit
- cut the abandoned hotel scouting and comic relief guy being bitten, and the associated romance plot
- trimmed searching for cigarettes
- cut more Umbrella clone stuff
- cut murder crow attack on convoy, and all later references to them
+ reassembled some cut scenes to create a transition for Alice rejoining the convoy
- cut funerals and Alice being introduced to Claire, assume they've met before based on her being asked why she left
- cut a ton of convoy scenes and lab scenes, only keeping a couple key minutes of both before leaving for Vegas
- cut reference to crows and comic relief guy being bitten
- recut zombie gunfight a bit
- cut implication that Alice has some sort of telekinetic powers, satellite glitching is just a glitch
- cut Dr. Isaacs bite aftermath, we assume he got the cure in time, as we saw in Apocalypse with the STARS guy
- trim Alice flashback
- trim Red Queen and clone story from exploring the facility
- cut Afterlife intro and title card
- trimmed fight to remove bad looking flip, and Alice telekinetic abilities, and clone story
- trimmed many shots with clones, two very brief ones can still be seen but the shots are so quick that they may be perceived as reflections of Alice, and the shots are worth keeping
- cut Wesker blowing up the facility, and the subsequent helicopter fight and crash

EP2
+ use Final Chapter title card to hop back into the Afterlife story at an appropriate spot
- cut flashback
- trim "we have to get to that ship" - in the 4k release it repeats the line twice, while in the Bluray it says something about rescuing KMart for the second line, not sure why they changed it
- trim digger reveal
- trim digger stuff and giant zombie reveal
- recut giant zombie at gate scene to make him seem a bit less ridiculous
- cut underwater armory exploration
- trim enemy coming back to life
- trimmed a few bad scene fades
- few trims throughout the boat exploration
- various trims throughout the white room fight to remove bad dog cgi and tone down Wesker's super speed to a sane plot level, and get rid of the vampire/eyes plot
- cut Wesker enhancements/death plot, retrim him escaping
- cut intro and title card for Retribution, joining end scene of Afterlife with continuation in Retribution
- cut Alice clone town stuff, daughter, resurrection of character from first movie (daughter is seen walking briefly in one or two later scenes but this is unavoidable)
- cut all the other rehashed environments from previous movies
- trim Wesker helping Ada
+ reinsert a zombie fight scene cut earlier into a more natural spot, but trimmed the mutated zombies
- trim all the Umbrella Prime (aka Red Queen) interruptions
- trim down the escape and remove all daughter stuff
- trim or recrop all the tank shots to remove daughter
- recut sub fight to obscure former character, and make it quick enough that viewers don't wonder why guys aren't helping Alice
- trimmed final shots of daughter
- cut Wesker in oval office
- cut Final Chapter intro and title card
- cut reflecting pool mutation
- recut Red Queen conversation
- cut motorcycle ambush/fight on way to Raccoon City
- cut the Dr. Isaacs/tank/zombie horde storyline
- recut Alice waking up after trap, and rearranging the conversations that follow
- cut the hive cliff dive and swim sequence, and later references to it
- trimmed more Dr. Isaacs and Alice clone stuff
- cut all of the Alice "original" stuff with the aged version of her
- cut Alice and Wesker conversation
- recut Alice/Isaacs platform fight
- trimmed a lot of the laser acrobatics
- trim Isaacs super speed
- recut the grenade sequence
- trim some of the conversations in the finale
- cut all the Isaacs death scenes and the appearance of his clone outside
- cut the scenes of the hive blowing up
- cut all the next day/future scenes after the hive resolution

Last edited:
Also, I used to send Artisdead review copies of each edit before I released it, I like the idea of one long-term reputable member having seen my work during the listing process. So if anyone fits that description and is interested feel free to PM me and we can talk.

New cover art for the edit.

I wasn't really sure where this was going when I started cobbling it together, I thought maybe I'd have the hive with Alice and the Red Queen on either side but it just wasn't working right, and slowly morphed into this silhouette of Alice and the Red Queen with the hive faded into it and some raw old school text placement to add some depth.

Not sure that this will really draw in new viewers since it isn't flashy, but it may be intriguing for people familiar with the series.

Back
Top Bottom