• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Reliable sources for current and future physical media releases.

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hello all. I'm just wondering if anybody knows of a site (or sites) that can generally be considered a good source for determining whether something has a release (or pending release) on physical media (official or unofficial). Typically, I just google around and see what I can find, but it's easier to find a release that exists than confirm a release definitely doesn't exist. There are a couple of titles I recently stumbled upon which I thought were exclusively streaming that now I've found actually do have blu-rays out (or pending) in other countries, and it got me wondering if there was a useful database on the topic.

I also sometimes find sites like blu-ray.com will show a page that implies an unreleased blu-ray copy with some limited technical specs, but without any release date. Is this a reliable source to presume a release is incoming? Or just a mistake? Sometimes I also read around and find on message boards or reddit people discussing that a release has been confirmed, but I have no idea where people get this information from or if it's all rumour and speculation.

There's DVDcompare, as well, which usefully makes comparisons between different releases of a film. Would it be reasonable to conclude that if a film/series is not on that site, it has not been released? Or is its catalogue fairly limited in that regard?

I use blu-ray.com to see what is available on physical and digital. It lists what is currently available along with reviews of quality of releases, has articles on upcoming releases and also has a deal finder for the major online stores and digital distributors.

eBay. If it's not on there, then it doesn't exist, or it's very rare indeed and might not always be there at a given moment. I might not buy it from there but it's a good indicator for something existing and for comparing which releases from different regions have what specifications, since you can usually find somebody who has taken a photo of the back cover (even if it's a listing that has expired). Plus the photos by users don't lie, info on other sites can be wrong, or auto-generated.

Case in point with eBay. I heard there is a dark city blu-ray with both cuts on it but I couldn't find it. Thanks to eBay I was just able to look through the back cover photos and work out that it seemed to be the Australian blu-ray with the blue (M) sticker on the front (plus some US releases), although the front cover is otherwise near identical in most releases. You're also able to search by barcode on eBay, once you know what you are looking for.

Case in point with eBay. I heard there is a dark city blu-ray with both cuts on it but I couldn't find it. Thanks to eBay I was just able to look through the back cover photos and work out that it seemed to be the Australian blu-ray with the blue (M) sticker on the front (plus some US releases), although the front cover is otherwise near identical in most releases. You're also able to search by barcode on eBay, once you know what you are looking for.
My region B (UK) copy has both cuts, though from what I can remember it seems to have shot up in price since I got it a few years ago.

Back
Top Bottom