• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Recommendations for AI-upscaling software.

Phase3

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hello all,

I'm looking to use some AI upscaling software, as there is some footage of a deleted scene in one of my fan edits that I'd like to upscale. I believe the footage is in 720p, whereas the rest of the edit is in 1080p.

If anyone has had some experience with this, could you please recommend some software to me?

Thanks!

I’ve not seen too many deleted scenes in 720p. Almost always they are SD quality. Topaz can still do a good job with SD upscaling to 1080p (it can shift colors though).

EDIT…TIP: if any footage shows interlacing lines, deinterlace it in handbrake first. Topaz deinterlacer is garbage.

Thanks very much to both of you!
@krausfadr
I may well be mistaken about the footage being in 720p; SD sounds much more likely!

Thanks very much for the tip about interlacing; I will run the footage through Handbrake first.

Cheers!

Topaz is absolutely superior, but for anyone who happens to own the Studio Version of Davinci Resolve (it comes with certain cameras or other hardware including their fantastic Speed Editor keyboard), one of the additional features is what they call Super Resolution. For already reasonable quality footage (1080p or high quality 720p) it can upscale to 4k with decent results. Again, if you have the money to throw at Topaz that's going to get you much further. Just an additional option!

For those that might not want to spend wads of cash. Are there any free options that are worth experimenting with? Or is Topaz seriously the only option worth trying?

For those that might not want to spend wads of cash. Are there any free options that are worth experimenting with? Or is Topaz seriously the only option worth trying?
I mess around with a free one called Video2x, it has a few models to work with and a basic GUI so it's not all command line. There may be better upscalers out there but that's what I have been able to find.

The RealSR and SRMD models are the ones to try for film footage. The others are for animation I think.

Back
Top Bottom