• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Rebel Moon

I think these are all a bit too harsh. That Jeremy Jahns one was just not a good review- I mean what the hell was that lol? A waste of time. His shtick has gotten old, IMO. I don't think he's been worth watching in at least 5 years. Dan Murrell is as exciting as watching beige paint dry. He says the grain being a non-factor and that's a problem... well, I mean that was the whole point, Dan. The farmers cared for the grain because it's their livelihood- hence all the time Snyder showing slo-mo to capture the process (as needlessly gratuitous as it may be presented), and Noble was willing to bomb the shit out of them, including the grain and his own men to make a point. Noble doesn't care about the grain. The cruelty and catching Kora were what he cared about. And that was the point of the grain. Anyway... this is all coming from me, a Snyder agnostic. He's a hack, but I think these Rebel Moon movies were passionately put together. I like the world building, and heist structure of it all, and I think Part One was quite good. It's a good genre picture series, and I hope he gets to do more so he doesn't get to touch DC or any other IPs ever again. I'd rather he play in his own sandbox.

Maybe I'm just done with youtube reviews. There was a stretch where I would watch them all the time- before and after I see a movie. I grew tired of these as I watched more and more movies. It's just the same dumb talking points most of the time, surface recap, and very little about what they actually think about the movie. I also realized the freedom of sticking with an opinion of mine so it's not fun watching someone who I can't engage with, neither who I agree or disagree with.

The only reviewer/critic I really tune in for is Mark Kermode- because he's entertaining and actually gives you enough about the film and the filmmaking process, whether he enjoyed it or not, for anyone to make your decision on which to spend your time on (by the way, he didn't like Rebel Moon either lol). All the other youtuber ones are dull at best and toxic at worst. Just bleh talking points that some fans have internalized, which has been an awful byproduct of it all.

Part Two. Is it the worst thing I’ve ever seen? Far from it. It’s a perfectly passable mid-budget B movie space opera adventure. The problems arise with the fact that it clearly wants to be much more and many of those moments instead come off as comedic as a result. And while there are the cool visuals you’d expect from Snyder, there’s the very odd choice of stylization in some parts and realism for others making a lot of those cool, almost 300ish, visuals feel really off, fake, and out of place. It’s hard not to compare this to Rogue One (or the myriad of other stories both borrow from), but where I cared about the characters in R1 (that many other people felt were underdeveloped), the fate of these Rebel Moon characters had no emotional weight for me at all. So while there was some cool action in the second half of part two (that also felt much better than the action of part one), it just wasn’t impactful. And no amount of slo-mo set to plaintive cello or chorale music was going to change that. I’d say it’s not as bad as many are making it out to be, but setting your expectations low will probably help.

I would probably be interested in editing it once the Snyder cut is released, but may back off from that idea if the site becomes saturated with similar projects.

I would probably be interested in editing it once the Snyder cut is released, but may back off from that idea if the site becomes saturated with similar projects.
I think it would be a challenge. It’s a story that shouldn’t require 4+ hours let alone however long the “Snyder Cut” will be. If someone could make it into a decent sub 2:30 hour movie and make me care more about the characters, that would be a helluva achievement. IMO it is crucial to cut much of the Snyderisms that pad the movie and really undermine any sense of drama. Again, while often cool looking in isolation, they are almost comedic in context.

I think it would be a challenge. It’s a story that shouldn’t require 4+ hours let alone however long the “Snyder Cut” will be. If someone could make it into a decent sub 2:30 hour movie and make me care more about the characters, that would be a helluva achievement. IMO it is crucial to cut much of the Snyderisms that pad the movie and really undermine any sense of drama. Again, while often cool looking in isolation, they are almost comedic in context.

I would absolutely be aiming for a short cut. 2.5 would be a maximum runtime.

The only reviewer/critic I really tune in for is Mark Kermode- because he's entertaining and actually gives you enough about the film and the filmmaking process, whether he enjoyed it or not, for anyone to make your decision on which to spend your time on (by the way, he didn't like Rebel Moon either lol). All the other youtuber ones are dull at best and toxic at worst. Just bleh talking points that some fans have internalized, which has been an awful byproduct of it all.
What's amusing about some of those YT critics (particularly the right-wing ones) is that some of them are trying out to be movie directors and writers themselves and are failing miserably at it.

What's amusing about some of those YT critics (particularly the right-wing ones) is that some of them are trying out to be movie directors and writers themselves and are failing miserably at it.
Exactly hahaa

Back
Top Bottom