• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Rebel Moon

Has it really been in theaters? I posted the above be used I happened to come across an article about it that said there was a screening a week ago but that professional reviewers were under embargo and only a few blogger type reviews had surfaced so far.
Maybe? Wikipedia says it had a limited theatrical release for the past week, but upon further investigation the Hollywood Reporter article it cites mentions nothing of the sort.

The various box office trackers don't list any theatrical releases, limited or otherwise, either. There do appear to be listings for this weekend in the UK, at least.

Rebel Moon part 2 is on Netflix today. It's in select theaters also. Watch and enjoy.

Additionally If you liked ZSJL and you want to see a conclusion to that story (ZSJL2 & 3 ) go and support Rebel Moon part 1 and 2.

Do It Nike GIF by James Bond 007

Don't waste your time or mine with a reply to me saying "ZSJL2 will never happen" etc. If that's your opinion that is fine, but I've followed the movement for years and I've gotten more right than 99% of the trades (Hollywood Reporter, Variety etc) and 99% of the youtube influencers on this topic. That is a documented FACT.

I look forward to watching Rebel Moon part 2 (and parts 3, 4, 5 and 6).
ZSJL2 is inevitable.✌️

It played theatrically in LA. I can't remember how many screenings, but I could find out

Maybe? Wikipedia says it had a limited theatrical release for the past week, but upon further investigation the Hollywood Reporter article it cites mentions nothing of the sort.

The various box office trackers don't list any theatrical releases, limited or otherwise, either. There do appear to be listings for this weekend in the UK, at least.
It played theatrically in LA. I can't remember how many screenings, but I could find out

It's kinda weird how low-key the release for the second movie has been compared to the first.

Netflix went all out on their advertising blitz on Part One. For the entire month leading up to it the trailer played everywhere, there were posters on the streets and sides of buses, and they really tried to make sure people were hyped for it by the time it dropped.

In comparison, Part Two has had a trailer drop that I had to go out of my way to watch and... nothing, apparently? It's apparently been in theatres for the past week, and nobody seems to have noticed or cared.
Netflix recognizes that all of the money spent promoting part 1 was in vain. There were even RM branded snack foods at stores for the first part. Part 2 was already completed at the point PT1 came out, so releasing pt2 makes sense, but throwing good money after bad doesn't make as much sense.

I've moved this to movie discussions because fanedit ideas really isn't the dominant topic of this thread. If someone wants to start a thread specifically for fanedit ideas at some stage they are welcome to.

Sequel gets ratioed and Zack's boy the Film Junkee's YT channel gets terminated.

I'm eating good.

Last edited:
Watched Rebel Moon part 2 and I was impressed. Much better than I had anticipated. Great stuff. Everyone should check it out.

Only watched the first 45 minutes of part two. Will probably try and get through the rest today. For me, it's a major step down from the first half of part one, which remains the highlight of the production, so far.

Poorly defined stakes, a remarkably low-budget look, a rushed info dump from Anthony Hopkins in the first 30 seconds that made my head spin, and just really odd editing: "Don't worry, he's dead (but I still brought these fighters anyways?!?) - Oops never mind, he's coming in five days - BAM: We must work together to defend! speech, all in like two minutes. But then we we're hammered over the head with five minutes of slow-mo wheat culling, water dipping, reaction shots. Like you can tell his priority was keeping all the cool shots at the expense of narrative. Probably it all feels more earned in the three hour version. Anyways. I feel genuinely bad for Djimon and Bae. They deserve better.

Also: Kinda seems like the bad guys are only coming because Kora is there, and not for some macguffin wheat. Maybe she could just go somewhere else?

Previously on Rebel Moon Part One.... an interesting first act that very quickly descended into mediocre unoriginality.

...and now Part Two: THE SCARGIVER!!!!

WARNING: MINOR SPOILERS

Plodding and hollow.

One thing I always appreciated about Snyder movies, even if I did not enjoy the actual movie itself, was the casting. He always had solid, charismatic actors who could sell their characters and elevate the material. Not here. Part Two really emphasizes (with the exception of Hounsou) how utterly bland and forgettable the Samurai Seven wannabes truly are. It is not helped that the two key team character fleshing out moments are so poorly executed. In one, a villager describes all the wonderful virtues of our rebel heroes, even though the audience has never seen anything even remotely close to what she is describing. And second, there is an actual origin scene, where each of our magnificent seven tell their secret origin -- it is out of context tragedy stories, with no sense of who they actually were before or why I should care about them now.

In the end, I really did not really feel invested in any of the characters.

The plot is still wholly by the numbers and unoriginal. Right down to the predictable return of Hopkins the Robot and the larger Rebellion at the predestined key plot moments. The opening voice over recap is utterly bizarre and confusing. The internal universe logic of the story doesn't make sense to me. So they have scanners but can not see anyone with weapons??? How the heck did they conquer the universe? And being from farming stock, I found the whole harvesting portion hilarious.

And for so much build up, the "final" battle between Kora and Noble was very anti-climatic.

Yes, as expected, there are a few nice visuals. But again, it mostly feels like Snyder is recycling himself. He has always been a Style Over Substance director, but here, the style just felt tired to me.

Overall, very disappointing for me.

Last edited:
Ahh, yes, I forgot about the, "QUIET! I will now tell you my tragic backstory!" moment. Then the others do the same, going counterclockwise(?) around the table. That's pretty much where I pressed pause.

I was going to wait to watch Rebel Moon for when the extended cut comes out, but now part 2 is out and I'm missing out. I clearly didn't look into the release schedule. I'll try to watch both of these soon.

Saw a Rebel Moon action figure at Walmart earlier, is there really a character named Nemesis? Also, I'm a little bummed that I didn't grab the novelization when I first saw it, I haven't seen it around since.

Just saw Part Two last night. Definitely more focused and better paced than the first. But I think I like Part One better because it went to different places. Dumb and bland places, but still different places.

This is a good duology. Cheesy (there's a slo-mo farming scene lol) and relatively entertaining sci-fi action that I don’t mind folding laundry to. It looks like they’ll do Part Three and Part Four or whatever. And they should.

I’ll keep tuning in until it sucks.

Just watched these today and I think the thing that struck me the most was how much the plot armor aspect just ruined any sort of tension or investment in the characters. It's such a large crew and given the genre and the plot and general tropeyness of the writing you know there's going to be a final showdown with most if not all of the characters. And while there were a few good scenes here and there that seemed unique or particularly well acted, as a whole I just can't bring myself to care.

I guess what it comes down to is the entire thing is fungible. You could slap a Star Wars paint job on it, or not. You could swap out or remove basically any of the characters except for the main girl without any real impact. And her backstory has been done half a dozen times so while she fit the role there wasn't anything particularly unique about the narrative. At a certain point these things start to feel a bit like what you would get if you told an AI to craft a film for you in a blockbuster style. Setup, small amount of worldbuilding, insert character motivation, gather the squad with obligatory flashbacks to insert a backstory for each one, add a couple of clashes for an appropriate amount of action scenes along the way, and culminate in a final showdown between the sides. Slather liberally with lasers and glowing things to make fights visually attractive.

Since part two came out, I finally got around to watching part one today. What a dumpster fire in every way. Cheap special effects. Normal clothes. Looks to me like the lighting VFX was done in Resolve with zero subtlety... flares gallore. Atrocious editing (someone standing is suddenly sitting down, etc.). The lead character is slightly interesting but is undermined by poor storytelling. Everything cool that happens was something we hear about in narration. This makes Sucker Punch look good in comparison.

Oh and the borg queen head with a spider body. Dear lord why.

Watched.

I enjoyed part 1 for what it was, but the first half of part 2 is atrociously written and paced. Part 2 of Part 2 is fractionally entertaining but largely mediocre compared to the variety of B grade fun and world building the first offered. And I just couldn't get over those laser blast effects - they look like a green screen loop from youtube. I think there's even a scene where we cut from above ground to a character ducking beneath ground and there's the still the same flashing laser effect filling the screen?

Also, can people stop betraying their ignorance and saying Rebel Moon is A Bug's Life? It's embarrassing. Go watch some Kurosawa.

(A Bug's Life is great though. Underrated Pixar.)

Back
Top Bottom