• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Random TV Show Thoughts

Do we need a designated Star Gate thread?
I would of course love it but I am unsure if there is a large enough fan base on the Forum? Has anyone done any SG-1 fan edits?

For you Stargate lovers, you might want to backtrack to the series a few of those actors came from: Farscape. Probably my favorite sci-fi show of all time, the early episodes especially are very inspired by old Star Trek, The Twilight Zone, and The Outer Limits, but they play with those concepts in fun, clever ways.

I've been trying to watch everything good on my sister's Disney+ account, and there's a plethora of shorts on there that I didn't know about. Star Wars Visions, Pixar's Popcorn, and the Sparkshorts series are mostly mildly good to forgettable. There are animated shorts for Ant-Man and The Guardians of the Galaxy that have some charm though, as well as a couple of clever Simpsons ones.

I love Farscape! The first season is incredibly cheap but the story is great, and with the increased budget for Seasons 2-4 it really came into its potential. The Peackeeper Wars miniseries is a bit rushed, since they had to compress the entire 5th season into 3 hours.

For you Stargate lovers, you might want to backtrack to the series a few of those actors came from: Farscape. Probably my favorite sci-fi show of all time, the early episodes especially are very inspired by old Star Trek, The Twilight Zone, and The Outer Limits, but they play with those concepts in fun, clever ways.
Okay that sounds really neat. I've heard the name but l never knew what it was.
I've been trying to watch everything good on my sister's Disney+ account, and there's a plethora of shorts on there that I didn't know about. Star Wars Visions, Pixar's Popcorn, and the Sparkshorts series are mostly mildly good to forgettable. There are animated shorts for Ant-Man and The Guardians of the Galaxy that have some charm though, as well as a couple of clever Simpsons ones.
I've seen some of the Simpsons shorts, they just felt kinda depressing, being used to showcase how Disney owns everything. I think there might've been a few decent shorts that were overshadowed by the Disney centric ones, l forget.

While I enjoyed the theatrical STARGATE, it was far from perfect in terms of story and direction. But the concept was simple and brillaint. And producers Wright and Glassner took the idea, remixed and polished it, and it became something BETTER (imo) than the original.

I agree with your first two sentences, but not the last one. The movie's flaws — and they're considerable ones, no denying that — are more apparent to me now than when I was younger. But every thing I loved about the film — David Arnold's score, the costume/set design, Jaye Davidson's alien, seductive, and sinister performance as Ra, the imposing and formidable Anubis and Horus Guards, the lore — I still love just as strongly. SG-1, in comparison, just comes off as cheap and uninspired in comparison, and those feelings have only grown since watching Star Trek and Babylon 5, better series which SG-1 pilfers from.

I went through a phase where I strongly hated SG-1 and its spinoffs. Thankfully, I'm long past that phase. Still, revisiting the first three seasons over the past couple years has convinced me it's an entertaining popcorn show at best; it's not the artistic masterpiece the fanbase has painted it as.

Last edited:
i am on season 5 of the complete run of sg-1 and am thoroughly enjoying this rewatch

I love Farscape! The first season is incredibly cheap but the story is great, and with the increased budget for Seasons 2-4 it really came into its potential. The Peackeeper Wars miniseries is a bit rushed, since they had to compress the entire 5th season into 3 hours.
I think you might be remembering it backwards. Budget for the first season was astronomical, as they had to fabricate all the puppets, the ships, etc. Everything was new. I believe they had about the same budget for the 2nd season but were able to do more on screen as they were able to reuse so much that they'd already made. However, they couldn't reach an agreement with the studio lot they were filming on (Fox) who had Star Wars bidding to film there, so they had to change to another (cheaper) studio location, the Australian-owned "Homebush Studios".

The show almost got cancelled after Season 2 again due to budget concerns. The only way it got renewed was through renegotiations with producers and distributers, actors, etc. Everyone was on hiatus and many people's contracts changed. During that time, sets and costumes were stored, and some got lost or damaged and so there's a different look in Season 3.

Farscape actually did get cancelled after Season 3, even though it was the show with the highest-viewership on the Sci-Fi Channel. It was just too expensive to produce, and Sci-Fi itself had not broadened their audience enough. They just didn't have enough other shows that audiences cared about as much as Farscape....which they loved. It was saved by perhaps one of the few online petitions to ever work. Still, Season 4 was after a big hiatus, and some actors were moving on to other projects, some props and pieces of costumes had been lost while stored, and the new budget didn't allow for them to be replaced. They got new people doing the set design, makeup, costumes, all cheaper. It's filmed differently and the video looks different, in a different aspect ratio even. The perceived drop in quality led to a drop in viewership. So that was the death knell for the series. It got cancelled for good.

But WAIT... Brian Henson put up the money himself to continue the show. He turned the script for season 5 into basically a 4-hour version they could do as a two-part TV movie finale. It turned out to be about as perfect a save as you could ask for, and a far better ending to the show than what those hacks wrote for BSG (yes, I'm still bitter). Farscape is simply a must-watch for any sci-fi fan, and the series that most directly inspired Guardians of the Galaxy.

I went through a phase where I strongly hated SG-1 and its spinoffs. Thankfully, I'm long past that phase. Still, revisiting the first three seasons over the past couple years has convinced me it's an entertaining popcorn show at best; it's not the artistic masterpiece the fanbase has painted it as.

I have never heard anyone call SG-1 an "artistic masterpiece" before... I know I certainly wouldn't.
But I don't think Star Trek or Star Wars or Babylon 5 are masterpieces either.
But I do think they are all great popcorn entertainment. And there is nothing wrong with that.

But for me the Stargate franchise does more than that.
Much like Star Trek or B5, it often does social and political commentary. It poses questions. Makes you think.
It also not afraid to make you laugh or thrill to some explosive action.

It has a very strong character foundation and an exceptionally well constructed mythology.
In fact, as I said previously, over the long run (10 seasons of SG-1, 5 seasons of SGA, 2 seasons of SGU), in my opinion, the Stargate television franchise might have a consistently better ratio of quality world building.
I certainly never thought of it is uninspired or cheap.

But we all like different things and that is cool.

And I can completely understand and appreciate your viewpoint, especially when you love the theatrical version as much as you do and the tv adaptation takes it in a very different direction. But the great thing is you will always have the original movie and nothing can ever detract from that.

I loved the movie but the show was always one of those things where they had developed past what I was familiar with so I felt like I couldn't just jump on in the middle somewhere. Is it on an accessible streaming service now?

I loved the movie but the show was always one of those things where they had developed past what I was familiar with so I felt like I couldn't just jump on in the middle somewhere. Is it on an accessible streaming service now?
It seems to get bumped around quite a bit on different streaming platforms depending on where you live. I think Amazon Prime has it?

It seems to get bumped around quite a bit on different streaming platforms depending on where you live. I think Amazon Prime has it?

it is on Netflix, that is where i am doing my rewatch of the series since i only have the first 3 seasons on dvd

Currently watching season 2 of Monk. I watched it several years ago but never made it to the end so let's see if I can at finally find out what happened to Trudy.

Stranger Things: just finished watching Season 4, which to me was an improvement on S3. Not that S3 was bad, I love the whole show and the story and aesthetic they're trying to express. To me, the first season was perfect, second season also very good, just a notch below. With S3 and S4, the story has lessened for me because it's gotten too bloated, where there are just so many characters and threads that not very much time is spent on each one. S4 improves on this a bit by expanding the length of all the episodes, but it still feels a bit like a sprawling setup for S5 (which is reportedly the last one.)
One thing that is consistently fun for film fans is that the show wears its influences on its sleeves. S1 is clearly dominated by an homage to E.T. with its "boy meets being with otherworldly powers and must run from government" throughline.
S2 is dominated by a sort of Gremlins homage, where an initially rather cute and harmless pet eventually leads to a takeover of a small town.
S3 is basically The Thing/The Invasion of the Body Snatchers, with the emphasis on this kind of paranoid body horror of people getting taken over and turned against their neighbors and friends.
S4 is the most obvious yet though, as almost the entire central story is A Nightmare on Elm Street, but with a bit of a Dream Warriors bent.
The seasons are stuffed with homages though and not merely about one film each. There's this great video covering all the references in the first 3 seasons, and most of those films come up again in S4, plus a couple of others. It's really how to do nostalgia right, executing it as a sort of remix of ideas, like the best Tarantino films.

The Gifted

I just finished watching this series (2 seasons), which is now on Disney+ but originally aired on Fox. It is FAR better than it has any right to be, better than at least half the X-Men films.

If you remember back to the film X-Men: Days of Future Past, it continued both of the X-Men film series. Prof. X and Magneto lead mutant rebels in a Sentinel-dominated future world, circa maybe 2020. Back in the '70s, picking up from X-Men: First Class, young Prof. X and Magneto aren't really talking to each other but a time-travelling Wolverine brings them together to make sure that future never comes to pass. The end of the film sees Wolverine in a contemporary X-Men timeline where the events of X-Men: The Last Stand blessedly never happened and nobody is even aware of all that. If only we could forget that film, too.

The Gifted picks up in this new timeline, but a bit later, after things have started to go sideways for mutants again. Bryan Singer directs the pilot episode, with Len Wiseman producing the first season. It's shocking how good it all looks on a network TV budget, and the variety of powers and effects they use. The main characters are some of the major comic book mutants not yet used in the films, like Polaris and the Stepford Cuckoos, as well as variations for rights reasons (I assume) like Eclipse (instead of Sunspot) and Erg (instead of Bishop). Arguably the two leads are recast from Days of Future Past, Thunderbird and Blink. The performances are all pretty strong, if the dialogue does eventually go into TV romantic drama at points.

The first season in particular is pretty awesome, basically a setup for this alternate X-Men world that Fox seemed to be aiming for with Logan and The New Mutants. There's a major event that turns the world against mutants, and corporations start locking them up and experimenting on them. This series works as a prequel/origin for those events, and has all the depth in the better mutant films, tackling how prejudice changes with perspective (a mutant prosecutor finds out his kids are mutants) and not all mutant powers are cool and fun (lots more powers here that are disfiguring and aren't helpful for big slugfests). It's a really interesting series that pretty much wraps up in S2 except for a stinger hinting at a possible S3. Main characters get killed off like GOT lite, there is good use of source music, cool style in many highlight episodes, and savvy use of underloved actors like Amy Acker and Peter Gallagher. Strong recommend for geeks like me!

I watched The Gifted when it originally aired and obviously knew it was an X-Men title, but I didn't realize it was meant to be in the same continuity as the films. They really should have gotten at least one cameo from that cast in the pilot to make it clear, and maybe drop a Wolverine or somebody else later on for a battle scene or something.

^Just budget, I assume. Not sure why they needed to recast Thunderbird from DoFP, maybe wanted better acting? I'll take Jamie Chung over Fan Bing Bing any day though, so I'm glad they recast Blink from DoFP. I think it would have been really cool for them to cross over with The New Mutants, and who knows, maybe they would have if the whole thing didn't fall victim to the Disney buyout.

Honestly though, one of the things I love about the show is that they DON'T keep showing the same dozen mutants as in every other version. Fenris is a super cool concept from the comics that has never been in an X-Men cartoon or game or film. Having a girl who turns things inside out is such a cool power that we've never seen. The Stepford Cuckoos have some amazing moments in this (especially the penultimate S1 episode) and I'm so glad we got them instead of Jean Grey, again. There's just such a rich tapestry of characters and stories, and I'm tired of seeing a 3rd version of the Phoenix Saga, or yet another blue person, or yet another 'Wolverine goes crazy on everyone' story. The creativity and originality in this is one of the best aspects.

Another geeky show I just recently caught up with: Symbionic Titan. From one of the best animation directors out there, Genndy Tartakovsky, this was his follow-up series to Samurai Jack that unfortunately didn't garner enough support from Cartoon Network. The two "seasons" are collected together into one 20-episode set that sadly has no real ending.

The premise is kind of Superman/Voltron-y, where a coup on an alien planet leads to a princess needing to escape to the backwater of the galaxy, Earth. With her are a personal bodyguard soldier and an experimental AI robot her father built to watch over her. Each has a combat robot form, but they later discover they can let their powers combine to form...well, not Captain Planet or Voltron, but the Symbionic Titan. The design for this thing is thoroughly badass, for those who appreciate these kind of geeky pursuits, as it's a kind of transparent Roman centurion that can generate various weapons. Of course, monsters and assassins are sent looking for the princess regularly, and a new one finds her each week.

Besides the clear inspiration from the Kaiju/Giant Robo genres, the show also takes inspiration from John Hughes '80s high school films as these 2 aliens and one robot try to stay undercover as a suburban American family. Increasingly, the show moves away from silly comedy and villains of the week into genre-subverting character stories and a backstory exploring the youth of the princess and the soldier on the alien planet. There's also a shadowy government agency hunting for them on Earth, and a military general that just wants them dead, an homage to Gen. Thunderbolt Ross of the Hulk comics and cartoons.

Even though there's no finale (though I had an idea for a fanedit film here), I still think it's a surprisingly-good series that transcends its humble cartoon setup. Probably why Cartoon Network cancelled it. (They claimed it had limited toy potential, which is asinine, as there are tons of robots and vehicles, as well as monsters nearly every week...this could have been huge for kids if they pushed it!)

ZTpjSPVl.jpg

SEAQUEST DSV (NBC 1993-96)

I love submarine movies and shows. From 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea to Red October and everything in between.
When it was announced that cinematic movie master STEVEN SPIELBERG and his company Amblin would be producing a futuristic submarine drama for NBC in the early 90s starring film actor ROY SCHNEIDER, I was giddy with excitement. What could go wrong?
Apparently lots.

The original 2 hour pilot was very underwhelming... and perhaps the very fact the producers casted SHELLY HACK (formerly of Charlie's Angels) as the big bad villain should have been a big red neon warning sign of the troubles that lay ahead for this show. The series producers were in constant conflict with the Network for its entire three season run, with continual changes to the show happening both on and off screen.

SEASON ONE (1993) or the SCIENCE FACT season--
Set in the far off future of 2018, the resources of the surface are almost exhausted and mankind has colonized the Ocean floor to survive. The crew of the SEAQUEST explore and protect this new frontier, with help from their talking Dolphin.
At first glance, the show is superficially a rip-off of Star Trek The Next Generation, complete with a kid genius. As the show progressed it distinguished itself as its own unique world. There was some great speculative science fiction that first season. Most of the science was grounded in current theory and known fact. The show explored serious environmental, technological, political and human issues. Lots of great concepts in that first season! Unfortunately, most of it was done poorly and the show often felt dull and slow. And the ratings reflected the audiences drifting interest in the show.

SEASON TWO or as I call it, the IRWIN ALLEN season --
Big changes to the show were made... new show runners, production was moved from L.A. to Orlando, and most of the cast was replaced with younger, sexier actors. Story emphasis was changed from Human Drama to Fantasy Action... from giant sea monsters, ancient greek gods, supernatural beings, aliens.... Series star Roy Schneider was openly furious about the changes to show, calling it "...childish trash". Audiences seemed to agree (though I found it to be a silly fun season), as the ratings continued to slide.

SEASON THREE or the MILITARY THRILLER season --
Another last ditch effort to save the show; again new show runners, a new lead actor in MICHAEL IRONSIDE, and a new direction in tone and style. The show was rebranded SEAQUEST 2032, and it was much improved. A darker, more serious tone with focus on political tensions and character development. Season three was engaging, smart and fun. But audiences, burned twice, never gave the show a third chance and the series was cancelled part way through season 3, which is too bad as it was getting really, really good. If this had been the show from the very beginning, it might have had a long and healthy run on television.

MILL CREEK BLU RAY REVIEW:

The HD transfer was done by Universal and licensed to Mill Creek. By all reports it is the exact same HD transfer used by Via Vision a couple years ago. The only difference Mill Creek put more episodes on each disk, so there is slightly more compression on the Mill Creek release but nothing distracting. This is not a true Remaster. The majority of the live action footage is proper HD, while the CGI is Upscaled and the quality of this varies throughout ranging from excellent seamless HD to obvious Standard Definition. Still on the whole, the picture and sound quality is a significant upgrade from the previous DVD release.

The Mill Creek packaging is fantastic. This is obviously a premium release for their brand, and their extra effort shines through. The collection also includes deleted scenes and interviews from seasons one and two that were not included on the Via Vision set. And it should be noted, this is the first time season three, SEAQUEST 2032, has ever had a North American physical media release. Which makes it a no brainer buy for me. Plus the price point -- almost half the cost of the Via Vision!

So if you are a closet SEAQUEST fan and have been on the fence about purchasing the Mill Creek's Complete Series, I can happily report it is a solid worthwhile release. 👍 ;)😁

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom