• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Random movie thoughts

I've always suspected HDR is largely a scam - publishers pumping up contrasts and saturation to convince people to buy 4K discs when they can't/can barely tell the difference in detail between BD and 4K (because, on 35mm film, there's barely any difference at all!).

Anyhow, as I never tire of observing, I don't care what kind of TV or disc you've got, what your K pixels are, and whether you've remembered to turn off motion smoothing - movies should be seen projected in a dark room. You're getting closer to the ideal film experience watching DVD projected in an otherwise dark space than watching a 4K disc on a 4K TV with other lights on (or, even worse, with daylight visible). :p
Pretty sure the ideal film experience is to watch in the car on a PSP UMD, but you do you.

Jon Hamm is a fan of Shrek the Third, and I can't stop thinking about that.

So um. Apparently Luke Wilson and Owen Wilson aren't identical twins. Luke is in fact a few years younger. This news is just as baffling as earlier this year when I discovered that Lucario isn't a legendary Pokemon.

So um. Apparently Luke Wilson and Owen Wilson aren't identical twins. Luke is in fact a few years younger. This news is just as baffling as earlier this year when I discovered that Lucario isn't a legendary Pokemon.
🤣 As the father of fraternal twins, it’s always funny to me how many people don’t know exactly what twins are. Even my brother-in-law, who has a twin sister, gets asked often if they are identical. 🤣

🤣 As the father of fraternal twins, it’s always funny to me how many people don’t know exactly what twins are. Even my brother-in-law, who has a twin sister, gets asked often if they are identical. 🤣
I'm just bad with faces in general. Last night I watched Asteroid City, and the whole time I was wondering why Owen Wilson's nose wasn't crooked. Turns out, it was actually Jason Schwartzman...
I also didn't enjoy Aliens because I couldn't tell Bill Paxton and Micheal Biehn apart. Mistaking two brothers for identical twins is just the tip of the iceberg.

I just realized that Billy West looks identical to Dieter Laser, and I hate it.

I remain convinced that Mark Wahlberg, Matt Damon, and John Cena are all somehow related. The older they get the more alike they look (especially when they're frowning or looking serious), and they're all from Massachusetts, so I'm not ruling it out.

I sometimes wonder if studios ever film extremely rough/test cuts of movies to preview them. As in, hire a few unknown actors, reserve a small, bare black stage with minimal props, and just act out the script, then fill out the rough cut with stock establishing shots, etc. If there's an action sequence, they could include storyboards/minimally animated storyboards, animatics, or even clips from other movies, if the scene is generic enough (as in, say, a simple car chase). It'd basically be a glorified table read, costing a few thousand bucks, and for that modest investment, they'd be able to watch a preview of sorts of the whole movie, and get a sense of its pacing, dramatic interest, etc.

Or, if studios themselves wouldn't bother to do that, I wonder if aspiring directors would. Say you've got a script for a legal drama or romantic comedy or what-not, but aren't getting much traction from the script itself. Could such a rough draft of the movie itself help win execs over?

Of course, there are two obvious reasons why this isn't an actual practice (so far as I know, anyway): one, studio execs and others figure they're smart enough to tell a script's quality purely from the page, or maybe from an audio table read recording, or two (the more depressing possibility), scripts themselves aren't considered important enough to be worth such effort. But, given how cheaply and easily such cuts could be thrown together, I'm surprised there hasn't been some well-known instance of something like this happening by now. (Obviously, I'm not counting YouTube stuff like disgraced Chronicle screenwriter Max Landis' feature-length pitch for a kewl, extreeeme DC team-up blockbuster. I'm thinking of these rough cuts as being a tool for the studios, not a means of viral marketing.)

I haven't watched
I sometimes wonder if studios ever film extremely rough/test cuts of movies to preview them. As in, hire a few unknown actors, reserve a small, bare black stage with minimal props, and just act out the script, then fill out the rough cut with stock establishing shots, etc. If there's an action sequence, they could include storyboards/minimally animated storyboards, animatics, or even clips from other movies, if the scene is generic enough (as in, say, a simple car chase). It'd basically be a glorified table read, costing a few thousand bucks, and for that modest investment, they'd be able to watch a preview of sorts of the whole movie, and get a sense of its pacing, dramatic interest, etc.
I haven't watched the supplementary discs in an age, but I'm fairly confident in saying Peter Jackson did something like that with The Lord of the Rings. I want to say he hired local Wellington actors to voice the pre-vis animatics, but I'm not 100% sure.

Doing a full stage production sounds expensive, but I could see them recording audio from a table read and using that as the soundtrack for a feature-length animation using the storyboard stills for the correct duration to figure out pacing issues.

There's an indie rotoscoped animated film from a couple years ago, The Spine Of Night. The creators were on a podcast I listened to, and talked about how they filmed and edited a live action rough cut using placeholder actors and whatnot, as a basis for the animation. I guess the process should be obvious given the medium, but it's fascinating nonetheless to hear about. What you're describing sounds along the same lines.

Watching Van Helsing (2004) the other day, I found myself analyzing it under a queer lens.
Dracula's performance is over the top. I used to hate it, but now I'm able to recognize the campy nature of it and I love it. He's arguably queer-coded in the same way that some Disney villains are often claimed to be, like Jafar and Scar. He may have wives, but he also explicitly states that he has no love for them (he claims to have no love in general due to his lack of heart, but I interpret this as more metaphorical. He clearly has other feelings, and as far as the heart I was pretty sure we see him bleed at some point though I could be wrong). He seems more interested in Van Helsing than his brides.
Then we have Frankenstein('s monster), his performance gives me C-3PO vibes, another character often viewed as queer. On top of that, the original Frankenstein films have always had their own queer analyses. It's been debated whether or not the monster was an intentional metaphor for the director's homosexuality.
Finally we have the character of Anna. I found it quite interesting this time around how she was never forced into a romance with Van Helsing by the end. We have several scenes in which Dracula's brides go after her, talking about how they know what her heart is after or something like that, they call her "love" and "beautiful". It's not obvious in her performance, but I think there's subtext to suggest she may secretly be a lesbian. Not to mention, she's the last of her bloodline. She's not obligated to get married and have kids of course, maybe she doesn't want to burden them with having to kill Dracula; this isn't inherently evidence that she's not straight, but my initial thought was that it was odd how she's the be all end all, that continuing the bloodline is completely out of the question.

Maybe I'm reading too into this bad-cgi-monsterfest.

TIL that apparently Joe Estevez, not Martin Sheen, did the VO work on Apocalypse Now. I have to say I’m skeptical despite seeing an interview with Joe Estevez himself claiming this to be the case. Quite a bit of that VO work is really really good and (sorry Joe) what I’ve seen of Estevez’s work doesn’t lead me to believe him capable of that. If true this might be the strongest evidence of Coppola’s genius as a director of actors.

I was today years old when I realized that two of the kids in the house at the beginning of Home Alone aren’t the kids of any of the adults in the house.

Alright, I did the math. Start your Dr. Strangelove at 10:27pm for the ultimate New Year. I was debating on whether it was worth the effort, but then I watched Reindeer Games and decided that I need the excuse to watch a good movie.
It's that time of year again! Continuing my new tradition of watching Reindeer Games followed by Dr. Strangelove timed for midnight.

Anyone else watching anything special for new years?

I continued my yearly tradition of forgetting that it's new years and getting very confused and angry when the fireworks wake me up.

A thought hit me the other day: Aliens Vs Predator Requiem would have worked better as a found footage film in the vein of Cloverfield. Some teens with a camera trying to survive while aliens are slaughtering people in their town. It'd be a fun twist on the franchises, while justifying the inability to see anything.

The better half is out of town and I thought I’d watch a movie she’d never watch with me. I’m thinking of giving a poorly reviewed sci-fi flick a go. But what should I choose: The Creator or Rebel Moon? I’ve got to say I’ve a got a morbid curiosity about Rebel Moon, but I also don’t want my Netflix algorithm to think I’m a moron. 🤣

Welp, it seems like Redbox (as in the disc kiosk service) is dying. They used to have virtually all new releases available for disc rental, and for cheap (used) purchase soon after. But first they gradually stopped carrying new Disney titles, then slowed down adding new movies in general, and now, over the past year, they've barely added any discs at all. I bought Dungeons & Dragons, Fast X, Mario, and Barbie in 2023, and would likely have bought several more titles had they been offered. With so little fresh inventory, however, it's almost certainly only a matter of time before the kiosk service shuts down entirely, which is a shame. :(

Back
Top Bottom