• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

RAIDERS OF THE KRYSTAL SKULL: Remixed by Jorge

killbillme said:
What? wait a minute... I just posted this! You guys stayed up all night?
This has got to be the quickest turn-around for a fanedit. Another first for REMIXED BY JORGE!
"Remixed by Jorge: Fans stay up around the clock to catch his latest release!"
Thanks for the reviews. And don't worry. I got another one coming that will really blow your socks!
Cheers! :grin:

Downloaded it last night mate and watched this lunchtime - you probably forget that we're in a diff timezone...it's 14:53 here at the moment (UK time).

Your second version sounds intriguing...... :grin:

white43 said:
killbillme said:
What? wait a minute... I just posted this! You guys stayed up all night?
This has got to be the quickest turn-around for a fanedit. Another first for REMIXED BY JORGE!
"Remixed by Jorge: Fans stay up around the clock to catch his latest release!"
Thanks for the reviews. And don't worry. I got another one coming that will really blow your socks!
Cheers! :grin:

Downloaded it last night mate and watched this lunchtime - you probably forget that we're in a diff timezone...it's 14:53 here at the moment (UK time).

Wait, I think he wanted to say a new fanedit, not a second version of Indy4, right?

TMBTM said:
Wait, I think he wanted to say a new fanedit, not a second version of Indy4, right?
Oh Mask, you're soooo specific. :p

white43 said:

"Remixed by Jorge: Fans around the World can't wait for his latest release!"

Well, It'll take me a while but an Indiana Jones 4 FE should be worth it. Thanks for releasing this. :)

"Did you have a problem with SE7EN?"

yes, but I consider this title non-canonical, it's just so stupid

And yet...it remains the true title of the Fincher film. C'est la vie.

That may be, but the very raison d'être of "canon" is to avoid the entire question. And the film is called Se7en.

When I saw the 77 minutes lenght I knew this edit will be a kind of "straight to the point" edit
and a way to rid off most of the usual things that annoy people in this movie.
I think that goal is almost achieved, minus few personnal thougths:
- The new music in the motorcycle chase is great, but it sounds like the voices of the russians have been redubed or something (?)
- When Mac says to Indy "about Berlin" we did not see the previous scene where he talked about it, so I found this a bit odd.
- There are are still two shots of gophers left - I personaly don't mind the gophers a lot (just reporting it)
- The new "careful, you might get exactely what you're looking for" edit, I think I understand what's Jorge wanted to do here:
Make an Indiana Jones movies where the main vilain don't get the usual fate.
I think it kind of works, despite the cheesiness, because of the short lenght of the edit, and the comic book style of the artwork,
and so it don't really try to be a real fourth installement of the franchise IMO, but more an aternative way to watch this movie.
I'm not sure it will work on everybody though.

On a more positive side the movie looks less "family friendly" and the fat has been trimmed.
Less "smile for nothing" shots, less useless silly actions sequences, the story goes fast, etc. Good work on those.
Menus are great, trailers and bonus also. Good idea to put the Movie Saloon podcast as an audio option.(in the trailer page)

All in all, I wanted more (yes, I'm a greedy bastard!). but I'm still thankful to Jorge for giving us an Indy4 edit after all this time.
I would rate the original 7/10, yes, I'm not an absolute hater of the original, I kind of spent a good time the first time I saw it on the theater.
It's just that, like Jorge's edit, I wanted more from an Indiana Jones movie.
So I rate "Raiders of the Kristal Skull" 7/10 also.

You get me. You really, really get me.
Thanks for the review Mask. Yes. The attempt was to give an alternate take on Indy 4.
And it was a hard slog. After you remove all the sentimental crap and the useless action, there's not that much left.
For me the most disappointing part of Indy 4 was the forced "face melting" ending of the villain.
I felt it came out of nowhere. There was no build up to a "curse" of the aliens. Spalko really doesn't do anything bad. It makes the aliens seem stupid and petty: "yes thank you for returning my head and have a nice face-melt. next time don't take so long."

As for your other points:
- The new music in the motorcycle chase is great, but it sounds like the voices of the russians have been redubed or something (?)
Yes that is myself speakin fluent Russian. My mother will be happy to know all those hours after school paid off.
- When Mac says to Indy "about Berlin" we did not see the previous scene where he talked about it, so I found this a bit odd.
It was either put back the scene of drunken Mac in the tent or live with this line. it was a no-brainer.
- There are are still two shots of gophers left - I personaly don't mind the gophers a lot (just reporting it)
I didn't hate the gophers either. But this loathing people have for the little critters is a tad over-the-top. They don't even have any lines.

Menus are great, trailers and bonus also. Good idea to put the Movie Saloon podcast as an audio option.(in the trailer page)
I put a lot of effort in designing the dvd. Thank you.
But alas what this release has shown me is that all that effort bears little fruit.
It's a film edit community, not a dvd design community.
So sadly it will be plain dvds for me from now on.

The truth about this fanedit is that I was doubtful about releasing it.
Watching it at home was not unlike when you crave a certain food, go out of your way to make it and when you finally sit down to enjoy it, there's something missing and you're left looking at your plate and wondering "what is it?".

After a conversation with boon I decided to go ahead with the release.
I've always considered these fanedits as experiments in the power of editing and the attempt
was to share it with others who might want to travel down the same path i've travelled so that they might learn something.
cheers! :)

^I'm glad you did release it, KB. So what if some people don't care for it? Some will, and they'll be appreciative. (Even if some of them remain silent.) :)

killbillme said:
But alas what this release has shown me is that all that effort bears little fruit.

The truth about this fanedit is that I was doubtful about releasing it.
Watching it at home was not unlike when you crave a certain food, go out of your way to make it and when you finally sit down to enjoy it, there's something missing and you're left looking at your plate and wondering "what is it?".
After a conversation with boon I decided to go ahead with the release.
I haven't finished my download yet (RS is limiting free slots now) but I will be watching this at some point. And even I end up not liking it, I will be glad that you released it (same for Gaith's edit) just so I finally had a chance to see an Indy 4 edit. It's a tough nut to crack and anyone who takes a shot at it deserves credit.

Also, regarding the DVD design, I really love when attention is paid to that aspect. It's not necessary by any means, and it won't save a bad edit, but it raises the bar on a good edit. I always appreciate when that effort is made.

TV's Frink said:
killbillme said:
regarding the DVD design, I really love when attention is paid to that aspect. It's not necessary by any means, and it won't save a bad edit, but it raises the bar on a good edit. I always appreciate when that effort is made.
I have to agree with Frink here. It's a shame that you feel this way about the design. Frankly I think it is a thing that is highly appreciated by viewers, perhaps unconsciously, just not that commented on. Also, it adds a level of professionalism to the disc, and shows the faneditors true love for the project and the art. I do hope you reconsider your position for future edits. You show a great love for editing and movies, why not let it shine all the way through to the final product?

I didn't hate the gophers either. But this loathing people have for the little critters is a tad over-the-top. They don't even have any lines.

:lol:

Finished getting this the other day and will be watching, rating and reviewing it soon. Thanks, Jorge! :)

ThrowgnCpr said:
I have to agree with Frink here. It's a shame that you feel this way about the design. Frankly I think it is a thing that is highly appreciated by viewers, perhaps unconsciously, just not that commented on. Also, it adds a level of professionalism to the disc, and shows the faneditors true love for the project and the art. I do hope you reconsider your position for future edits. You show a great love for editing and movies, why not let it shine all the way through to the final product?
I have to agree with ThrowgnCpr agreeing with Frink here. It's a shame... oh wait.

Seriously, I love it when there is fancy shmancy menus.
It's one of the reason's that I gave Azazel a 10 even though I enjoyed the original more (love that double twist ending!)
I may have given it a 9, but man, boon's menus blew me away on that one.

This sucker surprised me a few times.

First off, I had never watched a Jorge fanedit before, so I was very excited when this was announced. Since there was no real WIP thread, my expectations were simply a result of Jorge's reputation. And then the reviews came in, and while there were some positives, it sounded like this was a disappointment. My expectations were dramatically reduced, which in hindsight seems to have been a good thing.

Turns out I really enjoyed the edit. I liked parts of the original but the overall experience was not what I was hoping. While this still isn't exactly what I was hoping for, it was much, much closer. I even think I will watch this again in the future. The runtime is short, but I didn't have a problem with that. Some specific thoughts:

Opening nuclear film: I thought this was out of place. Not only is Doom Town unimportant to the movie, but it doesn't open the movie either. On the plus side, the short film comes before the true opening (the Paramount logo), and because it is a separate chapter, I will just skip it next time.

New "proper" opening: I loved this. No car chase, but rather we start with the Russians arriving and gunning down the soldiers as the titles are shown. This worked great.

Warehouse: Really works well. I actually didn't mind seeing the ark in the original, so I sort of missed it here, but not a big deal.

Doom Town: I actually kind of like this sequence, except for the fridge. And while the fridge is ludicrous, so is some of the other Indy action in the series. So while I wouldn't mind a cut with Doom Town gone completely, this didn't bother me too much.

Motorcycle/Library chase: I thought this worked very well, except for the Russian dub. It surprised me and for a bit I didn't quite understand what it was supposed to be. Unnecessary but not too harmful ultimately.

"No Nazca Ninjas, you big silly:" In addition to this cut description making me laugh, I definitely liked how this played out.

Ox trims: Much better.

Jungle chase/Waterfall: The trims to the chase and fighting work well. No scorpions, no monkeys, no Tarzan all worked great. The ants didn't bother me too much in the original, except I was so sick of all the bad stuff that came before the ants I was in no mood at that point. In this version I think the ants work much better as a result. The waterfall is still kind of silly (still don't understand what Marion is thinking) but it works better, and I actually like the immediate cut to the craft in the water with them climbing onto shore.

Pyramid puzzle: I like this version better.

Ending: I'm a bit conflicted on this. I like the idea, but I think it would have worked better without the voiceover and LOTR shot. Keeping it more ambiguous would have been fine, and the additions stand out a bit too much.

A/V seemed very good. I can't comment on the 5.1 upmix, as I was listening on headphones.

The DVD is nicely done. I sampled the commentary and it sounds like it will be worth the listen. I don't like that it's hidden on the trailers page, but not a big deal. The only other complaint I can think of is at the end of the movie, after the Remixed logo, the DVD stopped. No end credits and no return to the menu. I was especially surprised to see missing end credits - I thought this was considered a no-no.

Thanks for this, Jorge (and boon, for convincing you to release it). It was well worth the time. 8/10

TV's Frink said:
This sucker surprised me a few times.

First off, I had never watched a Jorge fanedit before, so I was very excited when this was announced. Since there was no real WIP thread, my expectations were simply a result of Jorge's reputation. And then the reviews came in, and while there were some positives, it sounded like this was a disappointment. My expectations were dramatically reduced, which in hindsight seems to have been a good thing.
You know how it is Frinky, you can't please everyone. It's good enough for goonies and good enough for me.

Turns out I really enjoyed the edit. I liked parts of the original but the overall experience was not what I was hoping. While this still isn't exactly what I was hoping for, it was much, much closer. I even think I will watch this again in the future. The runtime is short, but I didn't have a problem with that.
You see, that's all that matters. and lets face it, the original is pretty dismal. you can play around all you want with new openings, color correction et al, but eventually you're gonna arrive at that missing third act and have to deal with the waterfall and ants and ox, oh my.

Some specific thoughts:

Opening nuclear film: I thought this was out of place. Not only is Doom Town unimportant to the movie, but it doesn't open the movie either. On the plus side, the short film comes before the true opening (the Paramount logo), and because it is a separate chapter, I will just skip it next time.
It was a wink at early Lucas. remember THX 1138? iT starts with a scene from FLASH GORDON, the 30's serial.
But I did place it before the "true" opening just for this reason.

New "proper" opening: I loved this. No car chase, but rather we start with the Russians arriving and gunning down the soldiers as the titles are shown. This worked great.
I know. was pretty happy with it. while editing for a fleeting moment I thought I would turn it into RAIDERS.
That moment didn't last.

Warehouse: Really works well. I actually didn't mind seeing the ark in the original, so I sort of missed it here, but not a big deal.

Doom Town: I actually kind of like this sequence, except for the fridge. And while the fridge is ludicrous, so is some of the other Indy action in the series. So while I wouldn't mind a cut with Doom Town gone completely, this didn't bother me too much.

Motorcycle/Library chase: I thought this worked very well, except for the Russian dub. It surprised me and for a bit I didn't quite understand what it was supposed to be. Unnecessary but not too harmful ultimately.
My thoughts exactly.

"No Nazca Ninjas, you big silly:" In addition to this cut description making me laugh, I definitely liked how this played out.

Ox trims: Much better.
Oh Ox, ox, Ox. Who the hell are you, Ox. (thats me waxing poetic.)

Jungle chase/Waterfall: The trims to the chase and fighting work well. No scorpions, no monkeys, no Tarzan all worked great. The ants didn't bother me too much in the original, except I was so sick of all the bad stuff that came before the ants I was in no mood at that point. In this version I think the ants work much better as a result. The waterfall is still kind of silly (still don't understand what Marion is thinking) but it works better, and I actually like the immediate cut to the craft in the water with them climbing onto shore.

Pyramid puzzle: I like this version better.

Ending: I'm a bit conflicted on this. I like the idea, but I think it would have worked better without the voiceover and LOTR shot. Keeping it more ambiguous would have been fine, and the additions stand out a bit too much.
without the vo and the LOTR shot it would have been the original. :smile:
I figure if some can tolerate a Title Card, they would tolerate anything. :p

A/V seemed very good. I can't comment on the 5.1 upmix, as I was listening on headphones.

The DVD is nicely done. I sampled the commentary and it sounds like it will be worth the listen. I don't like that it's hidden on the trailers page, but not a big deal. The only other complaint I can think of is at the end of the movie, after the Remixed logo, the DVD stopped. No end credits and no return to the menu. I was especially surprised to see missing end credits - I thought this was considered a no-no.
My bad. DVD design can get quite intricate and sometimes stuff slips though.
as for the end credits, you do own the original dontcha? I don't have a hard and fast rule. sometimes I might add the first few credist to end it off in style but the huge blocks of credits have no interest for me. do you really need to know who the caterer was? me neither.

Thanks for this, Jorge (and boon, for convincing you to release it). It was well worth the time. 8/10
And thank you for an awesome review.

Back
Top Bottom