• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Quick render in Vegas for post on Youtube?

I had the same questions myself. I originally chose Vegas Pro 10 as my main editing tool (I too used the guide and worked solely in Lagarith).

I decided to switch to Adobe Premiere CS5 instead (my sister-in-law works for The Discovery Channel in their editing dept, so I got a huge discount on both of these programs).

Until this thread, I had no idea that exporting to a Windows AVI meant I had the option to change it to a Lagarith. Adobe has a pretty good encoder built within Premiere (also can be used stand-alone), but there are other encoders I would like to try.

Anyyyywaaaaay, I have read a number of posts at other sites about Vegas (ver 8 and below, maybe ver 9?) having difficulty with encoding using "third-party codecs". From what I read, there was issues with audio getting drop (not encoding correctly) and in some instances not encoding the entire video sequence.

Here's a couple of forums I used to troll when I was learning how to use Sony Vegas:

http://forums.creativecow.net/sonyvegas

http://www.videoforums.co.uk/sony-vegas-media-studio/

Thanks. I got it to work by doing separate ac3 and avi encodes as Throw suggest, although I just realized I used a standard avi instead of Lagarith. Oh well, the clip was only 15 seconds long...

you shouldn't have any issues when saving your video as AVI (either uncompressed or lagarith) and audio as PCM wav or AC3. While you shouldn't encounter too many bugs (I haven't had any issues) rendering to some other compressed format (h264 mp4, xvid AVI, etc), the built in encoder isn't the best.

For video, I always render to lagarith AVI (if I have the space) or frameserve to an encoder (if space is running short). No problems to date.

ThrowgnCpr said:
For video, I always render to lagarith AVI (if I have the space) or frameserve to an encoder (if space is running short). No problems to date.

This is exactly what I will be doing for my Borg edit. Any recommendations for an encoder choice (other than Adobe's Media encoder)?

I'd like to try different things to make my edit as good as possible.

for frameserving? if so, go with CCE if you have it, otherwise HC encoder or TMPG Encoder

New question, not really related to the thread title but :p

I want to check my audio on my 5.1 system to make sure I did it correctly. My media player (blu-ray player) can play avi but only over a network, and for a few complicated reasons I can't get it to connect to my network. I can put the file on a usb stick and play it that way, but the player won't support avi on the stick for some reason. It will only support the following:

DivX/DivX HD
MPEG4 AVC, HP @ L4.1
MPEG2, HP @ ML
SMPTE VC1, AP @ L3
MPEG2, HP @ ML (don't know why this is listed twice)
AVCHD
MKV

I thought of exporting as an MPEG2 (and muting all the audio tracks) and then muxing together with the ac3 audio, but the AVI-MUX program only recognizes MPEG2 as an audio file, not video. Should I use a different program, or export a different file format, or....?

I would export to lagarith as usual from Vegas. Then use MeGUI to convert to MPEG4 AVC HP @L4.1 This can be in either an MP4 or MKV container.

I tried using MeGUI but it's not as Frink friendly as I had hoped. I muddled my way through but I'm pretty sure I have some settings wrong and my resulting mp4 file had no audio. :(

its not beginner friendly. if you have your original AC3 file that you rendered from vegas, you can mux it with the video from the mp4 into an MKV using MKVmerge.

My stupid blu player wouldn't recognize the mkv...but I played around more with MeGUI and I finally got a mp4 with 5.1 sound :)

Yay, now I feel comfortable buying Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 9.

Thanks Throw.

ThrowgnCpr said:
you have to change the options under "video for windows." There it will allow you to change the codec to lagarith.

Does this work with Adobe Premiere CS5? I would like to export my final products (aka render etc) directly from Premiere to a Lagairth .avi.

Premier uses it's built-in (or can be used stand-alone) encoder called Adobe Media Encoder CS5 and I have the option of encoding to a Microsoft AVI or a Lossless Microsoft AVI.

Is there a way to get the encoder to recognize the Lagarith codec?

I have the Lagarith codec installed for VirtualDub 1.91.

watch

lagarith doesn't install for just vdub. It installs on your computer. Premiere CS5 should be able to export with the lagarith codec, because After Effects CS5 can just fine. I don't have Premiere, so I can't say for sure (but I'm 99% sure it can). You just change the codec under the export settings.

I see it fine with my AE CS5, but not in Premiere. No option under either of the AVIs selections.

Hmmmmm ....

Back
Top Bottom