• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Question regarding reusing Itunes purchased TV episodes for fan edits.

juice4z0

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Season 10 of smallville is available on itunes even though the dvd's are not out yet, from the previews it appears it is not watermarked.

With that being said would it be accepted as acceptable fan edit source materiel seeing as it is purchased.

Just wanted to check before purchasing.

Thanks

The rules require that you use a legally purchased source. Episodes purchased through itunes are legal, so they can be used without issue. However, keep in mind that anyone wishing to download your edit will also need to purchase it.

This brings up a good point. If he buys the episodes off of iTunes, would I have to buy the episodes in the same format as him to download his edit? Or if I bought the DVD would it suffice?

Didn't I just answer that?

TV's Frink said:
However, keep in mind that anyone wishing to download your edit will also need to purchase it.

You must own the source used.

It didn't seem clear at first, but thanks for clarifying.

Usually it depends on definition. If the material is in SD, you need to own an SD source. If it is in HD, you need to own an HD source. Apart from that, I don't think the format matters.

I thought the rule was that you had to own the source used or a higher quality version. Like say if an edit was created using the DVD but the person only had the Blu-Ray. The Blu-Ray obviously being higher quality the downloader would be covered. Since iTunes rips are lower quality than officially released DVD's wouldn't the downloader be covered by owning the officially released DVD's and not the iTunes rips?

Same idea here. Seems fair enough.
Furthermore, owning the source used doesn't always make sense. TMBTM used Puggo's Star Wars as base, which was never officially released on dvd.
But since he owns Star Wars on dvd, it's still ok.

Frantic Canadian said:
I thought the rule was that you had to own the source used or a higher quality version. Like say if an edit was created using the DVD but the person only had the Blu-Ray. The Blu-Ray obviously being higher quality the downloader would be covered. Since iTunes rips are lower quality than officially released DVD's wouldn't the downloader be covered by owning the officially released DVD's and not the iTunes rips?

That makes sense to me, but add on that if it's an HD iTunes source owning the DVD won't suffice (correct?).

I have brought this to the admin team's attention. I had thought that the rules were simplified to mean that you must own the EXACT source used, in order to avoid confusion. But the admins will have final say - stay tuned.

TV's Frink said:
I had thought that the rules were simplified to mean that you must own the EXACT source used, in order to avoid confusion.

That doesn't seem practical at all, what with the differences between DVD and BD releases in different countries. It would be more likely to create confusion as fanedits have not until now had the exact sources used listed on fanedit.info.

Captain Khajiit said:
what with the differences between DVD and BD releases in different countries.

Brings up another good point. One example is "Scream 4". The Blu-Ray in the UK is a slightly different version than the DVD/Blu-Ray in America. The UK BD has the PPV cut with a lot of extra dialog ADR'd in. If someone made a FanEdit of Scream 4 off the UK BD, would it be required for everybody to own the UK BD?

I'm really not trying to add to the confusion, so I apologize if any of my questions here seem redundant.

Yeah, it would seem pretty impractical for people everywhere else in the world to have to import a DVD from a specific region just to be able to watch a fan edit of a movie that they already own on DVD in their own region. It would severely limit the audience for a fan edit.

Gentlemen,

The question was regarding the use of itunes episodes of a tv show. The itunes downloads can be used as they are a legally purchased source. Beyond that, the admins have to decide, and they have been notified. I need to close this thread until a decision is made. Thanks for your understanding.

This is still in discussion, but I want to post the current status of the official source material rule. Here's the current wording.

"You must own all commercially available source material to make or possess a fanedit. The format must be equal to or greater in resolution than the fanedit. If you are uncertain whether your fanedit qualifies, or what source material you need to own, please contact an admin or moderator via private message to discuss it."

And to further clarify, owning a R2 BD would work for a fanedit of an R1 DVD fanedit of scream. We can not account for all the minor differences in studio releases from area to area. Just use common sense in what materials you should own or purchase and you'll do fine.

Here is some interesting reading that is the backbone of the rule of owning the source material. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use

Back
Top Bottom