• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Question on converstion

maxgremlin

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm using Roxio creator Plus to convert my video files I ripped from a standard resolution dvd. I want convert it to an Mpeg2 at 720 HD resolution. The preview looks good but I'm concerned if don't convert it to 720 Ntsc i might have problems later burning it to dvd. Any thoughts?

Why do you want to (up)convert a standard resolution dvd to "720 HD" resolution?

First off, the scaling mechanism on a tv/dvd player is probably enough that there is no reason to upsample things. However IF you really really really think this is a good idea, I would use software which supports super resolution.

I have tried http://www.infognition.com/VideoEnhancer/ with interesting results. Nero's video encoder also has a super resolution checkbox. I have never seen a comparison but I would suspect the nero technology is newer.

Also understand a normal dvd player will NOT play a HD mpeg2 file. Your output might play on a blu-ray player, but at that point you should be using mpeg4. Really this is not a good idea. Let your tv/monitor do the scaling.

If you want to go HD, go HD. Don't go the fake HD route. If your software can't handle HD don't go HD.

Message received. Ill take a step back and rethink my approach. Thanks for the valuable input.

maxgremlin said:
Message received. Ill take a step back and rethink my approach. Thanks for the valuable input.

Thank you for this level headed response. Newbies take note! To veer slightly off topic these forums are full of nice, patient and helpful people, but my experience is that members here will help those who help themselves. And when you get advice or tips or questions from vets, while you could interpret them as blunt or confrontational, most members are simply trying to cut through the BS and get to the root of whatever problem you're running into and help point you in the right direction.

So maxgremlin, I applaud your attitude, and I'm sure you'll be set in no time and on your way to working on your first edit!

maxgremlin, i have two quick questions that when answered will be helpful in getting you started:

what software are you using to rip your DVD?
what editing software do you plan on using?

Back
Top Bottom