• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Question about deleted scenes in TV broadcast

thebutcher

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hey guys. I'm about to fill the submission form for my first fanedit and something in the rules has me worried:
"Fanedits must not be created from illegal sources. This includes TV broadcasts."
My fanedit is for "Halloween H20: Twenty Years Later". The TV broadcast on FX inlcudes some scenes omitted from the final theatrical version of the movie. I've added some of these scenes throughout my fanedit of the theatrical movie. Since those scenes aren't available commercially, is it still legal to use them? (the rest of the movie is ripped from the official DVD).

Thanks!

I'm afraid that in order for a fanedit to be allowed on site all sources used for the edit must be legally available for purchase. Since the FX broadcast of Halloween: H20 was never made commercially available your edit would not be allowed to be posted here.

Take a look at the preservation forum here.

Does that mean that Adywan's SW:TESB Revisited won't be allowed here when it's done? That's based on an HD broadcast, right?

I don't think so, as all the scenes in the film are actually commercially available.

white43 said:
I don't think so, as all the scenes in the film are actually commercially available.
Does not matter - you must own THE source, not any related source.

Having said that, I believe adywan stated that he is using the blu-ray now, and in fact has already redone the color correction on it.

Also, this is the wrong thread for this discussion.

Take a look at the preservation forum here.

I was aware of the preservation aspect of this website. I'm even the one who suggested to ThrowgnCpr to capture the TV broadcast of H20. So basically, since it's ok to preserve these TV broadcasts of different versions than their theatrical counterparts (and not commercially available), they can be used in a fanedit?

The rule for fanedits is that all sources must be commercially available, as Frantic Canadian said. This would not be allowed as a fanedit. Preservations and fanedits operate under different rules.

http://www.fanedit.org/forums/misc.php?do=vsarules

Posting fanedits:
Completed fanedits have to be posted with the full FE info. Releases without this will not be allowed in the "available" sections and will not be posted on fanedit.org.

• Original required: A legally available source must be used for all fanedits. Fanedits must not be created from illegal sources. This includes TV broadcasts.
  • Availability: We want the fanedits to be available. Torrents are unreliable as they require seeding. A fanedit must be available on a file hosting service (Rapidshare, Megaupload, etc). Fanedits only available as torrents will not be allowed.
  • Presentation: All releases must come with a cover. A template and rough guide will be provided for both Photoshop and the freeware program GIMP. Cover dimensions for a standard DVD release will be 3240x2175. For more information on cover art see here.
  • MD5 Checksum: An MD5 checksum file is mandatory with all uploads.
This obviously applies to fanedits, not preservations. Preservations are not posted here AFAIK, they are only discussed.

As I stated above, I know that fanedits must be created from legally available sources and that preservations are intended to preserve unreleased TV broadcasts. My question is, what is the difference between preserving a broadcast of a TV special and including some of these unreleased scenes in a fanedit?

I know it's finished, I used scenes from this TV Cut preservation in my edit! My question is: why is it fine to preserve this version, but not to include some of its unreleased scenes in a fanedit?

thebutcher said:
I know it's finished, I used scenes from this TV Cut preservation in my edit! My question is: why is it fine to preserve this version, but not to include some of its unreleased scenes in a fanedit?

It's not that one is fine and the other is not. Preservations are not linked at all on fanedit.org. Recently we merged the forums, but there is no discussion of links whatsoever. SOOOO, as far as fanedit.org is concerned, supplying download information for preservations is not fine. Fanedit.org does not host any links for preservations.

I see your argument, and it is something that needs re-visited (I'm not suggesting a change, just re-visited) with the new admin team. Currently, only fanedits created from commercially available materials are allowed on Fanedit.org. That means no edits with preservation sources, and no preservations. Fanedit.org is constantly in the grey area in terms of copyright. Though you could argue all of our rules, everything we have done to date has been to make fanediting not appear as though they are competing with the studios, and that more is to be gained by allowing fanedits to exist than to shut us all down.

As I've stated above, I've mentioned to the admins that we need to have a discussion about this to re-evaluate, but as of now, fanedits must contain official sources. I hope this is more clear.

Yes, that is more clear, thank you very much. I agree that it should be an issue that's discussed more thoroughly (even though I can see how it could be a little headache-inducing haha). I'm disappointed because my fanedit has only about 2 minutes of these scenes from the TV Cut preservation and because of that, I can't upload it for you to see. :-(

Thanks for your understanding guys. thebutcher, I do not want to discourage you. Please continue discussion of your fanedit in the forum. Once it is completed, users can PM you for information on how to obtain.

TV's Frink said:
Original required: A legally available source must be used for all fanedits. Fanedits must not be created from illegal sources. This includes TV broadcasts.

This always seemed to be a grey area to me. I mean interpreting what Frink said, can someone please explain this to me:

http://fanedit.org/443/
Fanedit details:
This version includes both the alternate endings and alternate openings. It includes scenes seen only in the Sci-Fi channel version of the film, and scenes only seen as deleted scenes on the official discs, such as Ash fighting Arthur, Ash recruiting Henry the Red, the extended windmill scene, etc.

I own a few different copies of this film and the scenes in question were only broadcasted on television. So unless someone can point me to the local store where I can buy this, then I think the rules are being broken. :-|

Here is one more for good measure:
http://fanedit.org/268/

This “Recobbled Cut” uses footage from Williams’ original 1991 workprint with higher quality footage from Arabian Knight and Princess and the Cobbler … this does include some lower quality Calvert animation with the high quality Williams animation – it’s easy to tell the difference. The film has been carefully reedited to match Willliams’ original 1991 workprint for the film, and his original vision.

I didn't know a workprint was acceptable?! Also, if it was never originally released how would the editor know what Williams' original vision is? I have the commercially released Thief and the Cobbler, where can I procur this workprint version to complete my collection? :shock:

Yes STANPAC, I am aware of this issue, and I have brought it up to the rest of the team. There is inconsistency on the site, and that bothers me. When the rule was set in place, a proper analysis of the edits on the site, never occurred. Rest assure, this is being discussed by the admin team, and something will happen soon, whether or not that is a change in the rules, or a complete clean-up of the site (which really needs to happen anyway as we switch over to the new system).

Point taken Throw. Didn't want to step on anyone's toes or anything, but it was always something that bothered me from the beginning about owning all sources and whatnot! ;-)

Back
Top Bottom