• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Quentin Tarantino's The Hateful Eight

The 70mm version will probably be gorgeous. We'll see how the regular versions look. Django had a lot of digital grading too.

Aztek463 said:
The 70mm version will probably be gorgeous. We'll see how the regular versions look. Django had a lot of digital grading too.

I really liked Django's hyper-saturated grade but it does seem to make the argument that many Director's make for shooting on film redundant, if they are then going to digitally process that film to the point where it's unrecognisable. It just would be nice if one film came out this year that looked like a film and not a cartoon/videogame ;-). Fingers crossed.

Is there a list somewhere of where these fifty 70mm screenings are? I couldn't seem to find it on Google.

I actually just checked the listings of my local (and favorite) theater and they're playing it in 70mm!!! Perfect Christmas present.

They've been keeping that list pretty guarded. There aren't all that many 70mm theaters around these days, so figuring out she it'll likely be shouldn't be impossible, but it would be nice if they announced the list officially.

Does anyone around here know if the film still has an intermission?

I'm seeing it in 70mm on the 26th since it's showing at the theater I normally go to. :)

70mm showings should have the intermission. When it rolls out in 35mm and digital projection in early Jan it will not have intermission.

I'm in absolutely shock that they're playing this in 70mm in Orlando, which is normally kind of a cultural wasteland. Can't wait to see it!

Holy hell this movie was great. I'm pretty damn sure this is my favorite 2015 flick (sorry Mad Max). Tarantino is at the top of his game and I will follow him into the gates of hell. If you have a chance to see the 70mm Roadshow version, I highly highly recommend it.

Yeah, this movie was really great. I enjoyed it more than Django Unchained. Tarantino went back to his roots with this one.

Every one else thinking of a fanedit which starts with the gang and makes them the protagonists?

I'm not sure what people are seeing in this movie. I saw 90 minutes of pure dialogue that really tested my patience followed by a fairly pedestrian 90 minutes of the strangers trapped in a room together trope. The whole hype over the 70mm format was just that. 90% of the film is interior shots where I didn't see the benefit of the format. I think by now its fairly obvious the effect Sally Menke had on Tarantino's films and how they've suffered since her death.

Well, that is the problem with the Tarantino movies.
The action is always great but that over-long dialogue every time in those movies is getting on my nerves
Death Proof for example is one of them, there is one hour only of bla bla bla if you cut that out, then you have a pretty nice action movie
I must see this new movie but the running time is mostly too long and that is only because of the dialogue

Adabisi said:
The whole hype over the 70mm format was just that. 90% of the film is interior shots where I didn't see the benefit of the format.

That did concern me from the trailer. Thanks, I'm now not quite so bummed out about not getting to see it in that format.

Well, I think the ability to see the entire room by using the super 70 format really was a plus with this film. It definitely adds to the atmosphere.

Overall though, it felt like a lesser Tarantino entry for me. I felt it was covering similar ground as Reservoir Dogs, but less effectively. The film is certainly way, waaaaay too long. A lot of the actors seem to be playing things on completely different levels. Walton Goggins, Kurt Russell, and Tim Roth are really hamming it up, which doesn't match with the more subdued, realistic performances of many of the other actors. Samuel L Jackson is absolutely fantastic though, and any time he's talking or doing something the movie is electric.

It's worth seeing for the photography and the moments that work, but overall, not my favorite, and a marked step down after Inglorious Basterds and Django.

The Hateful Eight is an outstanding movie, a very finely crafted production by Tarantino. I'm not sure it's the best of 2015 because there's lots of 2015 movies I haven't seen yet, but I'd say in the top ten for sure. I saw it in luminous 70mm which was a treat. Most of Tarantino's movies come through a filter of irony and and dark comedy and postmodern meta but The Hateful Eight plays it more straightforward, more like a classic Western. But there's no Western like this one.

One of the best things was the creepiness of the movie, or this sense of eeriness that kept returning. Morricone's score helps with that, but mostly it's the screenplay and direction. You are never sure who's lying or if everyone's lying, so some of the killings seem like justice but then you're not sure, maybe they're evil brutality and you shouldn't be cheering for it. Tarantino plays the moral center of the movie like a football, moving up and down the field, changing position with each play.

I think with good fanediting this movie could go from outstanding to classic. I'd like to see a cutlist comparison of the 70mm cut to the standard cut but from Tarantino's interviews it sounds like he cut mostly landscape shots, which I thought were pretty and gave a respite to the chamber mystery. I wouldn't cut those, instead

the flashback to 'earlier this morning' was gratuitous and on the nose. Yeah yeah, we get these bad guys are very bad. We don't need to get introduced to the happy sparkly strong women to know the bad guys are very bad. We don't need to see even more grisly slayings that don't add to the plot. Either trim that flashback to a bare 3-4 minutes or cut it all out. It could disappear with no problem.

Also the final act got too drawn out, some trims could tighten it up nicely. And other small trims throughout the rest of the interior scenes could keep the suspense pitched at a higher level. And yes, there's too much gore, so I'd want to edit some of that and keep it at max intensity only a few times for harder impact.

Samuel Jackson probably should get an Oscar for best actor or at least a nomination. Kurt Russell delivered a towering performance too & all the main cast were memorable.

Now seen this movie twice in 70mm (both presentations going without any problems), and enjoyed it a ton. I know some people though it was too slow or boring, but to be quite honest I actually had an easier time staying focused and being engaged in this movie than The Force Awakens. The well-written dialogue kept me constantly more entertained, and combined with longer takes and big landscape shots, it made the movie feel much more like a stage play, appropriate I guess since it's supposed to be a more retro film. Plus seeing it on a big screen projected in film, it's so much clearer and the colors just pop out in a way digital projection still can't achieve.

What's most intriguing to me is the thought of the film being shot on Ultra Panavision, and yet looking so much more dynamic. Surely film stock has dramatically improved since those days, but really this film showcases just how much better cinematography is today. I could never have conceived how well these lenses could work with today's techniques, though there did seem to be a few issues when it came to rack focusing in certain shots.

Not sure where I rank it among the Tarantino films yet (though I know it's higher than Django Unchained).

Have a few ideas for a fanedit, specifically making a softer cut if only to make it closer to films of the 60's in terms of content. Typically I'm not one to like to clean up films, especially since Tarantino is at his best in the hard R rating, but I think it could make sense here.

Saw the film in both versions and I have to say I prefer the Roadshow version vastly to the digital basic.

I get people complain about the the Ultra Panavision format being wasted on interior shots, but that's not really the case. For one thing, the movie does have a lot of exterior shots and the Ultra format makes every single instance we spend outside a genuine treasure. In other words, the contrast between external and internal shots makes the external ones all the stronger.

For another, it allows the movie to capture the interior of Minnie's Haberdashery in massive detail, so much that you really come to appreciate every corner of the frame, making the location a kind-of extended theatrical stage, where you can focus on everything.

Watching the digital version, I was bummed by how the composition of many shots was ruined by the smaller frame size, and how the colors felt desaturated and impoverished.

Note also that the Roadshow version does have some differences from the digital outside of the Overture and Intermission - there is at least one full scene cut between John Ruth and Senor Bob, where the former finds a half-plucked chicken and asks Bob about it. This is what leads to Bob plucking the chicken, while complaining in Spanish.

Was watching the digital version last night, and Tarantino was definitely right about cutting it up a bit more. There are scenes where the roadshow version cuts between 3 takes, and the digital like 12. Man, I really hope the roadshow version will be on the Blu-ray, but I'm kind of doubting that since Tarantino did say the roadshow was a special experience, and he holds a negative opinion on digital in general. For me, the fewer edits were an important aspect of my enjoyment since I prefer older films that breathe more and don't constantly cut all over the place. Still loved it though, just now I'm wishing I'd actually seen the 70mm version more, if it won't that cut won't be available in the future.

The Roadshow version is playing in my city next week. I just got tickets and am pretty excited.

Back
Top Bottom