• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

PLEASE HELP!!! How to Burn with NERO???

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi there,

Brand new to Fanedits! I have only recently discovered the world of fan edits, I find it totally facinating!

But I am a bit of a computer idiot....

I have downloaded a couple fan edits from your site but I have no idea how to burn them to dvd. I know how to do .ISO files, but I have no real experience with these .VOB files.

I use NERO 6 and I was hoping someone would be willing to walk me through STEP BY STEP on how to burn these files to dvd???

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

1. start nero burning rom (no wizard)
2. select video dvd
3. copy all the contents from the video_ts folder into the video_ts folder that nero has created.
4. If there is a dvd_rom folder, copy the folder into the main directory (nero will put a DVD-Rom folder into the project).
5. burn as slow as you can to minimize read errors.

Thanks for the quick reply Boone.

Unfortunately, I think I am still doing something wrong or missing a step. I think it the VIDEO TS portion of Nero that is confusing me. If I just drag all the files over to the Video TS folder the BURN icon does not light up. But if I click the red Video TS folder first, then drag the files over, the file icons all change and though the file says it successfully burns, when I put the dvd back into my computer or my two dvd players, they all say either No Dvd or Bad Disk.

As I said before, I am pretty much cyber illiterate, so maybe I am missing something obvious....

Any suggestions?

I have listed the steps I took within your quote below to try and explain what I did (or did not do, as the case may be...) and what errors I encountered...

boon23 said:
1. start nero burning rom (no wizard)
2. select video dvd

DONE AND DONE.

3. copy all the contents from the video_ts folder into the video_ts folder that nero has created.

OKAY, HERE IS WHERE I START GETTING CONFUSED....
THERE IS A YELLOW AUDIO TS FOLDER AND A RED VIDEO TS FOLDER ALREADY IN THE NAME COLUMN. DO I DRAG MY FILES OVER AND JUST PUT THEM IN THE SAME COLUMN WITH THE RED AND YELLOW FOLDERS.... OR DO I CLICK THE RED FOLDER FIRST AND THEN I DRAG ALL THE FILES OVER? ALSO, WHEN I CLICKED THE RED VIDEO TS FOLDER AND THEN DRAGGED THE .VOB FILES OVERS, I NOTICED ALL THE ICONS CHANGED FROM A POWERDVD ICON TO A SYMBOL WITH A MUSICAL NOTE AND FILM STIP.... IS THIS CORRECT?

4. If there is a dvd_rom folder, copy the folder into the main directory (nero will put a DVD-Rom folder into the project).

UUUMMMM....? WHAT MAIN DIRECTORY? NOT CLEAR ON THIS PART EITHER....

5. burn as slow as you can to minimize read errors.

nero directory, when you selected video DVD:
audio_ts folder (yellow) stays empty
video_ts folder (red) is to be filled with all the contents from your video_ts folder in your explorer (vob, bup, ifo)

if there is a dvd_rom folder (which contains cover art and information that can be read with your computer only, but not from your DVD player)
copy it to the main directory that nero created for the video DVD.
you will then have the folders:
audio_ts
dvd_rom
video_ts

if there is no dvd_rom part, don't bother it is not needed

once again: put all files form the video_ts folder in the red video_ts folder.
the file types are ifo, bup and vob. They are all needed.

boon23 said:
nero directory, when you selected video DVD:
audio_ts folder (yellow) stays empty
video_ts folder (red) is to be filled with all the contents from your video_ts folder in your explorer (vob, bup, ifo)

once again: put all files form the video_ts folder in the red video_ts folder.
the file types are ifo, bup and vob. They are all needed.

Okay.... I think I got it, but let me just clarify...

1. Don't touch the Yellow Audio File.

2. Click the Red Video Folder and put the ifo, bup and vob files into it...

When I put the ifo, bup and vob files INTO the red video-ts folder, the icons representing the ifo, bup and vob files (ex. the PowerDvd icon) will CHANGE when they are IN the red folder and become ALL THE SAME, a symbol with a musical note and a film stip???? Is this last part correct?

yes.

and burn as slow as you can.

If you have it, always try a rewritable DVD first.

boon23 said:
yes.

and burn as slow as you can.

If you have it, always try a rewritable DVD first.

Okay.... followed all the instructions, Nero says the dvd burn was successful but the dvd still will not play on either the computer or dvd player.

So I assuming the error must be in the burn speed. So last stupid question, where in Nero do I adjust the burn rate?????

I would rather suspect the blanc media you use.
It won't play on your computer?
Even the vobs alone should play on your computer.
What exactly are you trying to burn?

boon23 said:
I would rather suspect the blanc media you use.
It won't play on your computer?
Even the vobs alone should play on your computer.
What exactly are you trying to burn?

I don't think it is my discs. I use Sony DVD+R. I burn dvds all the time. I use Nero all the time to burn .iso files. And I have Sonic MyDVD Studio that I use to burn .avi files quite regularly.

I can play the vobs on my computer no problem.

I am trying to burn Star Wars Vengence in the Force fan edit.

So I suspect I am making some sort of obvious error... but if that was the case, Nero shouldn't work and burn the dvd, right?

Maybe you could recommend a different program I could download to use to burn these files? Something free, maybe??

yes
let's go a diferent way and make an iso. (I have burnt the same DVD with nero several times with no error at all, and it plays fine on my DVD player, also there were no complaints yet for more than 60 complete downloads)
what you need:

the folders
video_ts
audio_ts

use a program like "magic iso" to make an iso of these two folders (video_ts is of course full with all the data you downloaded ifo, vob, bup)

burn the iso.

DVD-Shrink to make the .iso file, ImgBurn to burn said .iso.

Thanks, I will give that a try.

You recommend any specific site to download "Magic ISO" from?

I've followed these steps and my dvd plays in my computer but not in my dvd player or xbox. I expected the dvd player problem b/c its from '99 but xbox usually plays discs that my player will not. I have played the same exact media in my xbox with no problem before (memorex dvd+R).

I guess I'll try the iso method.

Thanks, I was in mid-download of that prog when I read your post.

I followed ren2112's recommendations and it worked perfectly (in the xbox but not in the '99 Toshiba...but no surprise there...)

Also, I found instructions for Nero that may fix the problem with that software but I haven't tried it yet.

f your dvd-r will not play in your stand-alone player when burned with nero, this is because your stand alone supports UDF1.02.
when you burn a dvd with nero using DVD VIDEO ,settings nero burns the disc in UDF 1.05.
most players especially new models support this.........but some older players do not.hence when you put the disc in your player you get "disc error" or something similar, but if you put the disc in, say your friends player it plays good.
follow these steps.

1/ make sure all your movie files are in a folder called VIDEO_TS (must be caps).
2/ open nero, click close wizard.
3/ in the new compilation choose dvd (obviously)
4/ instead of choosing DVD VIDEO, choose DVD-ROM (UDF)
5/ all settings should be ok at default, but if not, make sure no multisession is ticked, and UDF1.02 is selected as a physical partition.
6/ click new, locate your VIDEO_TS folder with the movie you want to burn.drag and drop into the burn box on the left, then click burn.
7/ when finished enjoy in you stand alone for the first time.

hope this helps the masses with this problem.
i personally burn all movies like this because then all dvd's play in ALL standalones.if a stand alone uses UDF1.05 it will also play UDF1.02.
but not the other way around.

P.S ALL this refers to using nero version 5.5.9.17 the newest version, untested on older versions but it will probably still be the same

this is interesting!

The alternative Nero method didn't work for me but I blame my burner. I think its too old (Memorex 2.4x from 2002/03). It's so old that its not compatible with the 16x dvds I just bought. Doh! Gotta get some 8x ones.

I'd just like to bump this to say that I'm very happy this thread was on the board as it allowed me to figure out how to burn onto DVD my first ever downloaded fan edit, "Superman Redeemed." I never would have figured out on my own how to use Nero (which I downloaded on a free trial basis just a few days ago for the sole purpose of burning that movie; I discovered that it can also burn all of the movies on my computer that I couldn't burn with Roxio; Nero's awesome) to get it burned, but after the explanation it was extremely easy to do even for a newbie like me.

Back
Top Bottom