• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles - The Extended Journey

Bobson Dugnutt

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
"The real article. What you see is what you get"

For a few years, there has been discussion about a longer cut of PTA, running around 3hr 45min, before getting cut down to 93 minutes. While only a single deleted scene had been released for years, the recent 4k Blu-Ray included 75 minutes of VHS workprint material. While being poor quality, it features some great comedic talent, courtesy of Steve Martin and the late great John Candy.

Since the new footage is all 4:3 VHS footage, I used a VHS of the film as the main base before editing back in all the deleted material. All of the sound has been remixed as the original included scenes had no additional sound mix beyond the dialogue. New atmos, music, foley, and clean dialogue tracks have all been created. The picture has been coloured as closely as I could get, which was tricky as the video was in such bad shape.

ADDITIONS
- extended scene of Neal meeting Del at the airport terminal, waiting for the plane
- extended scene of Neal boarding the plane
- extended scene of the duo chatting on the plane
- added scene with the due getting an airline meal and discussing it
- extended scene in Dooby's Taxiola in Wichita
- massively extended sequence in the Braidwood Inn (this is the most substantial addition to the film)
- added scene of Del waiting at breakfast while Neal is on the phone to his wife
- extended scene of the duo at breakfast
- added scene with Neal's wife talking to her mother about Neal, and her thinking he is having an affair
- extended sequence at the El Rancho Motel
- extended scene in The Oshkonoggin Cheese Truck

Theatrical - 1:33.05
Extended - 2:21:50

There is so much new stuff in this cut of the film, I can barely describe it here. My favourite sequence is the Braidwood Inn stuff, which runs about 11 minutes in the theatrical cut and now is a full half hour. There's more dialogue back and forth, they order a pizza, the robbery is now explained, the argument is far longer, everything is extended. I cannot describe the intricaticies of everything that's back in, but John Candy is absolutely stellar.

dINtZVW.png

Last edited:
Here's another mini-podcast I did, which is over 40 minutes, so it's not really mini, but I get into a lot of the editing and production of the film and this fanedit.

Here's an extended clip of Neal having a shower, with Del sharing the bathroom

Hello
This all looks like Top Work. Any chance of a Link to View this Timeless Classic?

Hello
This all sounds like Top Work. Any chance of a link to view this extended Classic?
Kind Regards
Chris

Back
Top Bottom