• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Phantom Menace 5.1 alternate language audio EXISTS!

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just for your information, the Spanish language track of the Spain (as opposed to Latin America) edition of The Phantom Menace is 5.1. It's Region 2 PAL though, so conversion would be needed for syncing. But since any possibilities for alternate voices for Jar Jar and the Neimoidians are so coveted, I think an editor or two will appreciate this piece of info.

Well, the french DVD is also, of course, in 5.1 (PAL)

That makes two items of what, in this forum, is widely believed not to exist...

Even still, for me they still just sound like French and Spanish (and Japanese etc..). I may not understand them, but I recognize them. Even when you reverse them and distort them they're highly recognizable to my ear and because of that, I find them more distracting than the terrible voice acting in English. Additionally, when reversed, because music almost always bleeds into center, you can also hear the music playing backwards, which destroys the effect even further.

Unless there is some rare track from the Australian Outback or Africa where I couldn't readily identify it, I prefer to stick with what we're given. It's not perfect, but it doesn't distract in a way that just takes me out of the movie.

Just my 2 cents.

Jar Jar speaking French? Amusing idea. I say amusing as in it would be hysterical to see. But unless comedy is what you are going for, it would be quite distracting to anybody that hasn't spent their entire life completely isolated in rural white America. I might as well voice over Jar Jar with my own voice. Nevermind lip synching issues.

L8wrtr said:
Even still, for me they still just sound like French and Spanish (and Japanese etc..). I may not understand them, but I recognize them. Even when you reverse them and distort them they're highly recognizable to my ear and because of that, I find them more distracting than the terrible voice acting in English. Additionally, when reversed, because music almost always bleeds into center, you can also hear the music playing backwards, which destroys the effect even further.

Unless there is some rare track from the Australian Outback or Africa where I couldn't readily identify it, I prefer to stick with what we're given. It's not perfect, but it doesn't distract in a way that just takes me out of the movie.

Just my 2 cents.
This.

voice overing has been discussed much, and I know Spence had some plans to go that route, but I think because of the nature of the way they handled the surround, it's nearly impossible. Audio bleeds from Center to the surround, and vice-versa. Clean channels are the holy grail of SW fanediting.

TV's Frink said:
L8wrtr said:

Just my 2 cents.
This.
Double This.

Clean channels are the holy grail of SW fanediting.
I've actually been wondering about this for a little while now for clean audio channels - after converting 5.1 audio to 6 seperate wav files, could you run the center channel wav file through something like the TFM Audio Tool and upmix it to surround sound, thus moving the excess music, etc. to the left/right/surround tracks and leaving just the dialogue in the center channel, which could then be seperated back out to a wav file?

If you upmix it won't you just get the center channel audio in all channels?

Possibly. I was hoping the upmix would separate different parts of the center channel to different channels.

Hebrides is the only person I know to have successfully removed/scrubbed music from a center track, and that was only in one scene. I followed his instructions in an attempt to do this with Superman to get the original 'woosh' sounds. I was never able to duplicate his success, and he himself was unable to replicate his success with other scenes.

finding the right balance to cancel out/scrub background music appears to be an art of epic proportions, if anyone could create a clean set of 5.1, they would be considered a God, the moment would be something akin to..

Back
Top Bottom