• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Perfect Movies - What's your list?

dangermouse said:
Here's an unusual one which I just thought of: Frost/Nixon. A brilliantly crafted movie, exploring real events and real people, with quite a punch.

Frost/Nixon is a boxing movie disguised as a political one.

Hence the "punch" pun ;-)
"Frosty, Frosty, Frosty!"

addiesin said:
njvc said:
Looks like Raiders of the Lost Ark has the win! 'Most' perfect movie ever made...?

If you're quoting me, it's "most perfectest movie"  ;)

except the while movie is one big plot hole.  in the end, the Germans open it on their own.  Indy just had to sit back, let them find it and watch them wipe themselves out (with his eyes shut, of course).  then make sure it was hidden by some top men.
we've all read this all over the internet place.

side additions:  Airplane and Spaceballs.

baileym43 said:
addiesin said:
njvc said:
Looks like Raiders of the Lost Ark has the win! 'Most' perfect movie ever made...?

except the while movie is one big plot hole.  in the end, the Germans open it on their own.  Indy just had to sit back, let them find it and watch them wipe themselves out (with his eyes shut, of course).  then make sure it was hidden by some top men.

Numbers can't lie! Only people using them can.

That's not a plot hole, and that kind of stuff is fun but doesn't bother me at all.

addiesin said:
baileym43 said:
addiesin said:
njvc said:

Numbers can't lie! Only people using them can.

curses! i've been had!  

i submit to the list, Jackie Chan's Drunken Master.
or maybe it's because i just love it so much.

baileym43 said:

Not perfect... Shatner doesn't have a cameo in it :D .

Just posted: Mike and Jay discuss why 'Tremors' is a perfect movie...

From post#4...

TM2YC said:

...and two months ago from another thread...

TM2YC said:
...this film is a masterpiece on every level. The script especially, should be taught in screenwriting school. Every line of dialogue and every scene either advances the plot, entertains, amuses, builds character, or sets up a plot point that is later paid off... or sometimes the scenes do all above at the same time e.g. the opening scene sets up the movie, the characters and the ending without us knowing it past the laughter. The editing, direction and most of all the faultless pacing also impress. It's one of those movies from the just-before-Jurassic-Park years when practical FX were at there zenith and would never be bettered. The FX in this still look perfect today. Genius level film making...

See I told y'all :D .

baileym43 said:
Spaceballs.

I just caught up to this and it baffles me.

Spaceballs has very funny moments.  It also has many not funny and cringeworthy moments, and some boring stuff as well.  The best stuff is with Dark Helmet but otherwise I find it meh at best.

I understand this thread is subjective, and I get why people like Spaceballs, but I think this is the first time I've every heard someone say it was perfect.

I wouldn't include it on this list, but I love Spaceballs. I don't think I would change anything about it.  It is a product of it's time, and I think it's a great film.

The animated series on the other hand...

ThrowgnCpr said:
It is a product of it's time, and I think it's a great film.

I've never been a Mel Brooks fan but I always had a soft spot for Spaceballs.  I rewatched it lately and I think it's aged poorly, unlike the similarly mentioned Airplane!

Just rewatched the 80's Black Stallion last week. I can't find a fault in that movie.

TVs Frink said:
baileym43 said:
Spaceballs.

I understand this thread is subjective, and I get why people like Spaceballs, but I think this is the first time I've every heard someone say it was perfect.

well that's just, like, your opinion man.

but seriously...
i don't think Terminator 2 or Raiders fit.  that's just me.

comedies are super subjective, though.  Spaceballs fits on my list maybe because i loved it so much growing up.
mostly for me, i think a good comedy has to fit a short few things.

1) jokes & gags, not references or pop culture colloquialisms. 
Redletter Media touches on this quite a bit as far as references but i think it extents to popular catchphrases that can quickly become dated.  ("NOT", "as if", "don't go there", "not so much", "that just happened", and "mind blown".) (Cluless comes to mind.)
this is tough to do for a parody movie like both Airplane and Spaceballs.
Airplane pulls it off better, obviously given present company statements.  i can totally concede Spaceballs because it does heavily reference Star Wars for it's laughs.  but if you haven't seen Star Wars, most of it though could just be taken as silly stuff the characters are doing/saying.  (i admit i've never seen Airport so i can't really say but i can follow and laugh at everything in Airplane.)

2) the jokes & gags should move the plot or at least build on each other.
otherwise it's a series of sketches during the story.  
Dumb & Dumber does this really well i think.

3) the second act needs to keep the jokes going.  
a lot of times you'll be watching a comedy and it's pretty funny then it all stops and the characters start doing stuff.  none of it is funny but the story is still going forward.  then right about the middle of act three, the story reaches where it was going it becomes funny again. 
Dodgeball comes to mind, i guess, so does Billy Madison.  it's tough because these are usually pretty unmemorable comedies to begin with.

does anyone else have a rule that they think makes a comedy good ?  or for the sake of this thread, a perfect comedy ?

baileym43 said:
TVs Frink said:
baileym43 said:
Spaceballs.

well that's just, like, your opinion man.

Since you brought it up, I'd definitely put The Big Lebowski closer to a perfect comedy than Spaceballs.

A new excellent commentary featuring Film Director Tim Partridge discussing the piece of perfection that is 'Ghostbusters'. Tim goes into talk of the production-design, tone, architecture and philosophical and satirical layers in ways I hadn't even considered before...

...also Rich and Mike discussing the same...

I have a few movies about the war that I would like to recommend to you.

First Knight
IMDb Ratings: 5,9

Genghis Khan: To Ends of the Earth and Sea

IMDb Ratings: 6,3

fanedrn said:
I have a few movies about the war that I would like to recommend to you.

First Knight
IMDb Ratings: 5.9

Genghis Khan: To Ends of the Earth and Sea
IMDb Ratings: 6.3

Wait, who are you recommending these to? Are these supposed to be perfect films?

Back
Top Bottom