• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

PCM to ???

Delpheas

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I extracted a audio file from a dvd, and it was in PCM format, how can I use it, or convert it to be usable in Womble?

PCM is just a WAV file and they are very large. your best bet is to convert it to ac3 using besweet (freeware). unless of course you wish to retain maximum audio quality. im pretty sure womble will handle pcm although you may need to simply change the file extension to .wav

yes, pcm wav is great for womble. Since it is uncompressed, about every program can handle it with ease. It is just a tad big.

Womble says it is an unrecognized file type...

It still says it is a "Unknown Media Type"

hmmm, not sure what the problem is then. Womble should accept this.

Do you have any audio editing software? you could try opening it with that and saving as something different. Or also use BeSweet as nOmArch suggested.

Since I already tried converting it with Audacity, I'll try that besweet program.

is your windows changed to really change file endings? Because actually there cannot be a problem with wav.

yeah, I've done many things where I had to change the file extension.

Hmm, it turns out i needed to set dvd decrypter to "raw" instead of "demux"

dvd decrypter....
always interesting that this thing is still used. :)

depending on how you ripped it from the DVD, it could be a direct stream copy - in LPCM (not WAV...)

you should be able to open it in audacity using the raw import. change the settings to the file specifications (probably: 16bit/big endian/stereo/48000)

this can also be converted to WAV with sox:
sox -B -r48000 -t .raw -c 2 -b 16 -s infile.pcm outfile.wav

I have had this rare issue occur before. I believe it all boiled down to header info in the file. Easiest way to fix it (in my case) was to input the lpcm in Sony soundforge and just re-save it under the "microsoft wave format"

yes the actual issue is that there is no header information with the lpcm stream - i wouldn't want this "guessed" by an editing program - you would do this with whatever program you are ripping the DVD (extract DVD audio to WAV file).

but when you find yourself with an LPCM stream and want to convert it to WAV, you must provide the header information to the converting program (bits, signed-ness, endian-ness, channels, sample rate, etc.)

i always use sox for that.

Back
Top Bottom