• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

PANDORA - "Version 2" HD & SD releases coming soon

Great review xDeeMx! Be sure to log onto FanEdit.org and post your review there!

On a side note I am curious when a proper DVD version is going to be release at a higher bitrate. I'm holding off on the xVid version because I want to watch it on my tv the xVid streamed doesn't look very good.

thunderclap said:
On a side note I am curious when a proper DVD version is going to be release at a higher bitrate. I'm holding off on the xVid version because I want to watch it on my tv the xVid streamed doesn't look very good.
The mpv/ac3 files themselves are finished, I just need to work on the DVD menus - as soon as it's done, I'll be sending the DVD release along with a few other edits (specifically, the V2 DVDs of my Twilight of the Republic & The Black Knight Rises edits and the DVD-5 release of Pulse: Red Tape Remix) to elbarto for upload.

I watched the AVI last night and while I really would rather have seen a DVD version (avi looks lousy on my 40") this was a really good edit.

Everything works in favor of the story, Jakes arc is much more convincing and meaningful and the shortened length doesnt hurt at all.

all the dialog cuts go unnoticed except for when quarritch says "nothings over while i am breathing" as it feels like a response, not a statement.

the only piece i found a bit confusing was when jakes avatar was left behind after hometree's destruction. we just saw netyri publicly declare her love for jake and protect him from the lead warrior and then a few minutes later she leaves him for dead (?). I know this is unavoidable editing wise, but it was an oddball moment.

Otherwise I really enjoyed this version and eagerly await the DVD release for visual improvements sake.

Video (avi on a 40" 1080p) - 4/10
Audio (5.1) - 9/10
Editing - 9/10
Entertainment - 9/10 (the original was an 8/10 for me)
DVD/Bonus - N/A

Total 7.75 rounded up to 8/10

(will hold back submitting a rating on main site until I see the DVD since the video quality drastically effected this score)

For those who are remotely curious... yeah, all two of you... I am, in fact, not dead. :p

Now that the Collector's Edition of Avatar has been released and it's various deleted and extended scenes are now available, I am now able to finish the DVD release of Pandora which includes new additions and several cuts that weren't present in the V1 AVI release. New elements for the fanedit's V2 cut currently include:

- uses the alternate "Future Earth" opening, replacing the original theatrical cut's opening (cuts around a third of Jake's internal monologues)

- cuts the scene in the jungle introducing the four-armed lemur/monkeys creatures (no, I don't remember its name)

- adds in the new scene of Jake, Norm, and Grace visiting the abandoned Navi school

- uses the extended "training" montage sequence, along with the new scenes of Grace explaining to Jake what really happened to her Navi school

- adds in the new Sturmbeast hunt scene

- uses the extended love scene between Jake and Neytiri

- adds the new "Drums of War" sequence of Tsu-tey and Navi hunters bombing bulldozers, along with the humans reaction to its destruction

- adds the scene of Grace explaining that the Company destroyed the Navi's sacred site on purpose to provoke a violent response; in addition, I've also cut Jake's "This is how its done" speech (which was way too over the top and preachy, not to mention nonsensical at times).

- adds shots of Tsu-tey falling into the jungle after being shot

- Cuts Quaritch's "Nothing's over while I'm breathing" line before he fights Jake

- adds in the new "Last Shadow" sequence, where a dying Tsu-tey names Jake as the next leader of the Navi and has him ritually put him out of his misery

Additionally, I will be attempting... but make no promises... to add the deleted scene of "Pandora Rules" (where Quaritch expands on the rules of the Company's instillation on Pandora and belittles Norm for not paying attention) back into the film, along with possibly the "Breakfast With The Scientists" deleted scene. Unlike previous fanedits that I've done, this would be my first attempt at upconverting a 2.0 stereo audio mix into a 5.1 dolby surround mix (although technically it'd be more like building a new audio mix, much like what I did for certain scenes of my Episode 1 edit). If, however, my audio attempts aren't up to my quality standards, then I won't be including those scenes in the V2.

Lastly, I will be adding a black "scope overlay" matte over the top and bottom to give the film a 2.35:1 aspect ratio (to better match the video of the deleted scenes, which are in scope AR, with the film's video). Plus (and this is just my personal opinion), I think the movie actually looks better and more, well... "film-like" with a scope AR.

JasonN said:
For those who are remotely curious... yeah, all two of you... I am, in fact, not dead. :p
I'm one of those two...although I gotta admit, I'm more curious about your Prequel v2's than Pandora (I want my Avatar in HD).

Either way, glad to hear you aren't dead. ;)

TV's Frink said:
I'm one of those two...although I gotta admit, I'm more curious about your Prequel v2's than Pandora (I want my Avatar in HD).
Patience young padawan, they are coming as well. :laser:

TV's Frink said:

Either way, glad to hear you aren't dead. ;)

that's probably the reason no fanedit will replace my avatar blu ray... TV's Frink just too good looking

Sunarep said:
that's probably the reason no fanedit will replace my avatar blu ray... TV's Frink is just too good looking
Aww, thanks!

The rebuilding of the 5.1 audio mixes for the "Pandora Rules" and "Breakfast with the Scientists" deleted scenes seems to be going well enough (about 60-70% done), but I haven't been able to test the new audio on my surround system yet.

Also started going through the new cut looking for any additional scenes that I can edit (for time purposes and to remove scenes that add nothing to the story or characters), and I'm now on the fence on using the Extended Montage with Grace's Story: while I like how this subplot of Grace's school adds more to her character and history, my main problem with it is how it introduces Neytiri's sister.... aside from this and one other minor scene, NO other character (not Neytiri, not Moat, not Tsu-tey..) ever mentions this character's existence in the story, so it feels like this plot element is appearing out of thin air and never has any future impact to the story.

JasonN said:
Also started going through the new cut looking for any additional scenes that I can edit (for time purposes and to remove scenes that add nothing to the story or characters), and I'm now on the fence on using the Extended Montage with Grace's Story: while I like how this subplot of Grace's school adds more to her character and history, my main problem with it is how it introduces Neytiri's sister.... aside from this and one other minor scene, NO other character (not Neytiri, not Moat, not Tsu-tey..) ever mentions this character's existence in the story, so it feels like this plot element is appearing out of thin air and never has any future impact to the story.

I agree it doesn't really add anything. The only character it gives development to is Grace and her frustrations with the company are already plenty apparent. Though it's Neytiri's sister, there's no real noticeable impact from the incident, and no trait/actions are explained by the incident.

The new 5.1 audio mixes for the "Pandora Rules" and "Breakfast With The Scientists" deleted scenes are 100% complete and the scenes have been integrated into the V2 cut along with the new scenes that I'm using from the Extended Cut (the audio mixes turned out rather well, I think, and the new scenes add more character to Jake, the scientists, and Quaritch). Additionally, I decided to not include the "Extended Montage With Grace's Story" scene in the movie (for the reasons previously mentioned).

With both the new scenes from the Extended cut that I'm added back in along with several additional cuts and edits that I've made to the fanedit, the V2 cut now currently runs over 9 minutes longer than the previous version - I'll be giving the film another editing pass sometime in the next few days, after which I can then start rendering files for the DVD and AVI releases.

The mpv/ac3 files for the DVD were rendered and finalized nearly two weeks ago, but this edit along with my other editing projects got delayed due to building my new 64-bit workstation and the hassles that come from reinstalling programs and going from one OS to another (in this case, going from 32-bit Windows XP to the 64-bit Windows 7). Hopefully I'll be finished with all that by the end of this week and can finalized the DVD-9 and AVI releases of the V2.

Also, because this new PC has Blu-ray capabilities... I will be eventually working on an HD release of this edit in the near future. ;)

JasonN - HD release??? OMG.. can't wait, thx for the great edit!

Yeah, JasonN + HD sounds like heaven. Here's hoping for a .mkv!

I know that news for the V2 cut has been pretty slow, and that's basically been because I've been testing my new PC on the extents of its HD editing capabilities (to which it can easily handle, I must say :D ). Satisfied with that, I started looking over my new Blu-ray video footage of Avatar and comparing it to the DVD video sources which I had initially used to redo the V2 and well.... I sorta realized.... that there is no stinking comparison, the HD video simple TROUNCES the old DVD video, period.

So right now, I'm in the process of updating the video sources for the Pandora V2 with the new HD sources in Vegas and will be releasing the edit in both an HD mkv version and an SD AVI version (or the SD version may be the DVD version, I still haven't decided on that yet). :wink:

Hi, are you still working on v2? Because it's been quiet for a while :D.

More like it's been an eternity, you mean...

After a lot of work (and a hell of a lot of fricken' time), I have finally managed to recreate my cut of the V2 of my Pandora fanedit which uses new footage from the Extended Cut and a few deleted scenes (I had lost all the files for it, along with my other fanedits, a while back when my workstation got fried and killed my motherboard, PSU, and several hard drives). I'll be rendering the video files sometime in the next week, then it's a matter of figuring out what portable video format will work best for 720p video.

Great! I've been looking forward to this edit for a long time =)

I watched the old version in .avi format (I think it was .avi) and I thought it was great except for the image quality.
And in a movie like Avatar the image quality is very important indeed. (The visuals really make the movie in my opinion)

Back
Top Bottom