• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Our Cinemas

In my town there's only one place, the Saga. In the 80's, this was run by an old lady, but it has a new owner now and he's really great. He keeps updating the projector and the sound when something big happen (he's upgrading both rooms to show 48fps for The Hobbit) and the seats are great. He made one room smaller and expanded the building to add the newer, smaller room a couple of years back.

In the 80's, there was another cinema, the Palladium, but it's now managed by goverment funded cultural people, so instead of running hit movies, they have concerts, plays and sometimes smaller films or even cult cinema. I saw Black Gestapo, a blaxpoitation film, there, and they have a horror movie "festival" there once a year. I will try to snap some pics.

5094910.JPG

Here's one of our theaters in Omaha. Watching Skyfall here on Sunday!

BladeRunner391 said:
5094910.JPG

Here's one of our theaters in Omaha. Watching Skyfall here on Sunday!

Yea - that's uh, nice and old. What? 1990's?

To be fair, a computer is old after like 6 months, so "old" is subject to interpretation. :p And some of those AMCs have decently reclinable seats ;)

Yea, I think there's a big difference between the ones posted before and the one above. ;-)

To be fair, the title of the thread is "Our Cinemas", not "Old Cinemas We Go To" so it's an acceptable mistake.

Neglify said:
To be fair, the title of the thread is "Our Cinemas", not "Old Cinemas We Go To" so it's an acceptable mistake.

True. And from what I remember of Omaha there's not much in the way of classic architecture so that one would probably qualify as old in that area :p

I used to like the old art deco ABC Cinema in Northampton, built in the 1930's. The audio was pretty boomy with Dolby Stereo, but it had character. There was something special about queueing around the block to see a movie back then. By the end of it's life they were letting people in for just £1 a ticket trying to compete with the local multiplex. I saw everything there from Star Wars back in '77 up until True Lies a couple of weeks before it closed. It's now been bought and reopened as a drop-in centre for the local religious cult The Jesus Army :| with a small theatre on the back where they put on concerts and plays.

2449451304_b33082bce6.jpg

006C28CFE7.jpg

ABC__Northampton.jpg

Jesus-Centre_Abing_1472923i-1.jpg

Hope this isn't bad etiquette, posting in a thread one year after the last reply but it seems ok, given the nature of it.

This is my old cinema in Yeovil. 3 screens, 1 big and 2 smaller though I doubt it was as big as I think it was! It went through a few owners over the years, the only one I really remember is ABC in it's last days, as this is when I started saving the ticket stubs :). So many memories that I won't go into as they don't mean much to anyone else. I have to mention that the ticket office was practically in the doorway so for any opening nights or weekend showings, the queue would be out the door, round the corner past the bushes (which were good for rain cover) and down the road!

ronnie-biggs-and-the-great-yeovil-cinema-robbery.jpg

Was converted to a bed centre soon after the 10 Cineworld was completed around 2001/2. Gutted as I loved the place. Can't knock the benefits of the multiscreen cinema though.

934255_5556772f.jpg

If I ever win the euromillions, i'm converting it back ;-)

Bumping old threads is totally fine. Welcome, by the way. Hope you'll find your stay here enjoyable.

Always a shame when old theaters are converted.

Here's my new favorite theater, Coolidge Corner in Brookline, MA.

265coolidgedw2.jpg

They play independent releases and old classics. It's awesome.

coolidge-interior.bmp

This is the Rialto Cinema in Cyprus, built in 1932. Here is an oldie pic:
2953asw.jpg

It was abandoned during the 80ies and during the early 90ies it came very close to demolition. It was fortunately saved, reopened in 1999, and now it is known as Rialto Theatre, hosting theatrical shows, concerts and various other events. Here are a few new pictures i found online:
300hbnk.jpg

20z8fu8.jpg

25rglsw.jpg

16ifllx.jpg

The 2 screen theater near my house when I was growing up was run by an elderly man whose kids had moved away and his wife had passed on. He was a quiet man, but generous. He would give you free snacks for sweeping up and things. He used to let me go into his storage area and pick out old posters to take home. I still have the Terminator poster I picked out in 1985. I never knew what happened to the old man but I went back home for a visit recently and found the theater had been closed and shuttered long ago. I fear that in my lifetime we will see theaters disappear altogether. I miss those days.....

Back
Top Bottom