• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Older Womble > Newer Womble

white43

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Discovered something interesting - (depending on which way you look at it) about Womble.

I have, until recently been using a version of Womble that was last updated in 2006. Had none of the issues that most people were reporting - the pops and clicks between edits.

Then, I updated to the latest 2009 version...... :???:

During my current edit, nearly every cut had a pop or a click which was infuriating. But it was when I exported the project the most infuriating thing occurred - not only would a couple MP3 tracks not work properly and just encode as a buzzing noise, at various cuts in the film, the sound would just stop for the rest of the film. :x

Of course, after a few attempts, it occurred to me I was using the newer version for the first time so I uninstalled and returned to the older version. End result? Problems have all now gone away. All the clicks I was experiencing disappeared. Another thing worth noting - in the latest version of Womble, you can place audio in the 'text' line. In the older version, you can't. To be honest, I'd rather stick with the older version for all the issues the new version gave me.

Yea - one day, I'll be attempting to learn Vegas.....but I don't find it that intuitive.

Take it your adding the fades?

I do remember your saying once that you made your Godzilla edit without the pops. The older version of Womble doesn't like Vista though.

I'll learn Vegas one day, but I can't create an avi that doesn't have a messed up aspect ratio. :-? I considered using Adobe Premiere as apparently the best version can handle mpg files, but when I looked at my friend's version, I thought it seemed even less intuitive than Vegas.

Captain Khajiit said:
Take it your adding the fades?

You don't need to in the old version and it's trickier in the new version as you have to keep overlapping stuff.

I do remember your saying once that you made your Godzilla edit without the pops. The older version of Womble doesn't like Vista though.

None in Godzilla, none in Accountability. Good job I don't like Vista too eh? :-D

I'll learn Vegas one day, but I can't create an avi that doesn't have a messed up aspect ratio. :-? I considered using Adobe Premiere as apparently the best version can handle mpg files, but when I looked at my friend's version, I thought it seemed even less intuitive than Vegas.

I tried Premiere. It choked on the Mpeg file I have it. Bollocks off to that and yes, seems less intuitive again.....

white43 said:

I tried Premiere. It choked on the Mpeg file I have it. Bollocks off to that and yes, seems less intuitive again.....

Personally, I think Vegas is really intuitive. Premiere on the other hand, I thought was terrible. What it boils down to is what your used to. There is a learning curve for all software.

white43 said:
Captain Khajiit said:

None in Godzilla, none in Accountability. Good job I don't like Vista too eh? :-D

Yeah! I know what you mean. Vista came with my new laptop and I can't be asked to switch back to XP. Besides, Vista does actually play a few things I couldn't get running in XP, so it's swings and roundabouts.

white43
for the newer versions of womble (I do like the lastest a lot fixed some things I had issue with in older versions)

Womble tells you that if you do get pops or clicks to have womble encode your entire audio stream and not just parts of it. I had only one click when I did a fade out on something. I had womble re-encode the whole audio and sure enough that click went away afterward.

tranzor said:
white43
for the newer versions of womble (I do like the lastest a lot fixed some things I had issue with in older versions)

Womble tells you that if you do get pops or clicks to have womble encode your entire audio stream and not just parts of it. I had only one click when I did a fade out on something. I had womble re-encode the whole audio and sure enough that click went away afterward.

Well - I let Womble encode the whole thing, pops and clicks remained and then the audio cut off randomly for the rest of the edit. Didn't happen with the older version.

I cannot help you much then as I have no idea why it did what it did

Back
Top Bottom