• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Octopussy - balloonless

lapis molari

Better edits through feedback.
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
James Bond's Octopussy has no fanedit yet. That's about to change! In many ways this is Roger Moore's best outing as 007. Sure, there are a few too many lame jokes, but those are easily trimmed. The ending would've been perfect for Moore to retire (I like A View to A Kill, but Octopussy would have been a great conclusion of the Moore era).

I love that Moore plays his age credibly: he's an experienced and (mostly) mature spy who works with his colleagues and keeps them informed (no lone vigilante). The main Bond girl (beautiful Maud Adams) is age appropriate and Bond shows a genuine interest in her (not the usual "he loves and leaves them").

The sets and scenery are gorgeous (between India and the circus, this Bond film has an unusually rich color palette). The opening sequence is exciting and suitably grande. The villains check all the boxes: out-of-control Russian general with access to a nuke, Khan is played just right to make your skin crawl, the staring henchman never stops (until, of course, the final battle).

So what needs to be edited in this 007 adventure?
- Shift 009's chase to the opening, giving first-time viewers the suspense "is this Bond"?
- Small trims to opening sequence: some shots of jeeps avoiding the mini-plane look more A-Team than 007.
- Cut several lame jokes, including "asp" and "good with figures".
- Trim the tuk-tuk chase to remove the tennis match shots and the pick-up shots where Moore's hair is a distractingly different color brown (that also means cutting the fire-breather, bed of nails, hot coals, sword swallower).
- Minimize shots of assistant's cleavage in Q's lab.
- Trim the jungle chase: cut "sit" at tiger, remove Tarzan yell and swing on vine.
- Trim East Germany: trims for pacing around and on the train. Cut gorilla Bond checking his watch.
- Trim West Germany: cut Bond being denied a car ride a second time.
- Trim final fight at Khan's palace: remove hot-air balloon because it always bugged me that it's so obviously a prop on a set stage (sorry Q, you won't be in this battle), cut wristwatch monitor, trims for pacing and to make the tone more serious.
- Inside airplane: cut Gobinda easily pushing away Octopussy. Let's believe she's still tied up instead of being so easy to overpower.
- Closing scene on the galley: cut the leg joke because it's lame and ruins the moment.

octopussy-1024x427.jpg

Last edited:
My pleasure. Didn't know I was previewing though. If I were to make any suggestions, I'd adjust the soundtrack after the opening gunbarrel sequence. It goes deathly silent right afterwards. Perhaps add some a few beats of ominous John Barry notes before the silence?

My pleasure. Didn't know I was previewing though. If I were to make any suggestions, I'd adjust the soundtrack after the opening gunbarrel sequence. It goes deathly silent right afterwards. Perhaps add some a few beats of ominous John Barry notes before the silence?
You had the link before I submitted the edit, so yeah, I think that counts as previewing.

I'll check the silence bit, thanks for pointing that out.

@Bored at 3:00AM , I see what you meant with the silent moment.
It wasn't actually silent, but the volume was so much lower than the gunbarrel sequence that it was a noticeable transition. As solution I've continued the outro of the gunbarrel for several seconds longer. Solved!

Excellent! Octopussy is my second favourite Moore, after Moonraker, and I always wanted to edit it. The 009 killing is how I would open it, too.

Back
Top Bottom