• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Oblivion Redeemed

Frink, pay no attention to them. that's not what Moon is about at all.
i won't spoil it for you but it mostly revolves around a guy's search for why the moon actually is made out of cheese.
then there is something involving spice and trying to figure out if Kyle and Sarah are related.

jesus, I must not have been paying attention to Moon at all. I could have sworn it had something to do with pressed ham.

Sorry Frink...

tumblr_lmjw3lSIOU1qc44tk.gif

Really, I am sorry though. I guess 5 years isn't long enough to assume.

It's Netflix's fault for pulling it from the stream before I got to it.

I'm curious about this - I thought about doing an Oblivion edit for a while because there's some nice stuff there and it's visually slick, but thus far I just can't muster the enthusiasm for it. I got as far as putting together a workprint for a new opening sequence, then got distracted by other projects:

Password is
titan

One thing that really bugged me about the film is that it felt - at risk of sounding harsh - like what someone thinks a clever film should be, rather than just being a clever film exploring interesting ideas. So, for example, we have an opening voiceover (addressed to who?) to set the scene - except its only purpose is
to set us up for a fake-out, and a predictable one at that.
IMO, it didn't help that it cribbed from much better films - yes, knowing certain details about Moon may be unideal compared to going in blind, but that film is about much more than mere plot - there's some great character stuff going on and some gorgeous visuals. Whereas Oblivion had lovely (though somewhat sterile) visuals and no real character substance to speak of; it even has the same tedious "adolescent male learning to accept his responsibilities" stuff going on, which is at this point possibly the most boring character arc available to English-language film.

On the topic of this particular edit: did you use any of the deleted scenes? And did you make any changes to
the last big action sequence in the scav base?

So, for example, we have an opening voiceover...

My edit removes the bookend voice overs.

One thing that really bugged me about the film is that it felt - at risk of sounding harsh - like what someone thinks a clever film should be, rather than just being a clever film exploring interesting ideas

I've shown my edit to a few people who never saw the original and they were surprised by the reveals in the screenplay. I suspect that the film's reluctance to trust the audience and use heavy exposition made those who watched the original think the film was less "smart" than it really was. To this extent, my edit addresses this.

On the topic of this particular edit: did you use any of the deleted scenes?

No. The deleted/alternate scenes either raise more questions than they answered or too negatively affected the pacing of the film to warrant my consideration.

Did you make any changes to (the film's last action set piece).

I did only one very subtle and probably unnoticeable change. In my commentary track, I talk about what works in this sequence, what I changed and why I left most of it in tact.

My edit is available on the .info site.

Am I the only person that WASN'T impressed by the visuals/scenery in this film? I don't know if maybe I'm just being overly cynical, but all of it looked like Adobe AE to me. Like, I feel like you guys here on the site who do animation on top of fan editing could bang out the backgrounds to this film in 12 hours if you wanted to.

I dunno, maybe I gotta watch this again. And yes I know that for certain scenes they used giant screen projectors or whatever.

I don't think knowing what Moon is about, spoils what Moon is about, in the slightest. I didn't know going in but it's damned easy to draw the appropriate conclusions in the first fifteen minutes and the big 'reveal' isn't played out like anything of the sort. I liked that about Moon: it could easily have become a cheesy twist-in-the-tail affair; but instead the fundamental premise simply became the backdrop to how a person might cope with the situation. It was less M. Night and more Phillip K. for that.

I'd recommend you watch it regardless, Frink. It's immensely re-watchable, as well.

EDIT

Also, on topic: I'm going to pick up a copy of Oblivion soon, and might watch this edit before the theatrical (if I ever watch the theatrical!)

Back
Top Bottom