• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

NTSC Frame Rate

FatherMerrin

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi,

I'm making my first edit with NTSC DVDs & I'm a little unsure about there framerate.

I've got some Canadian R1 Star Wars DVDs & was wondering do I encode them at 29.97 frames per second or 24.0 frames per second?

Thanks,
FM

Here is what I do:
I encode as 25fps with a size of 720x480, then use dgpulldown to create 29.97fps NTSC from that. Works really good.

Most programs who really change the framerate, will produce stuttering.

The stuttering is what I'm concerned about. I got away with it for my Exorcist III edit because it was a mixture of PAL & NTSC but this is different.

The program I use to convert the VOB file is FlasKMPEG & it basically gives me a selection of fps. Is the normal procedure to do what you said, encode as 25fps then dgpulldown to create a 29.97fps file. Or would it be best just to select 29.97fps in FlasKMPEG & convert it the once?

you can try out flask, but IMO this will not work well. Flask is a rather old freeware program and it has for sure no high quality encoder.

When I first started (DVD) fan-editing, I had all kinds of video stuttering problems. Thanks to Boon posting a link for a DVD ripping program called VOB2MPG, it has created perfect rips for me every time. It is a free program that I highly recommend! 8)

Thanks Sprug's for the tip, if FlasKMPEG doesn't work out I'll try VOB2MPG.

Thanks for your concern boon but I think the quality will be OK as all my other edits were done with FlasKMPEG. Oddly enough I think FlasKMPEG in a perverse way is probably the best program for editing the prequals as it removes that glossy picture the prequals have & makes them look more like the original trilogy.

I've looked into this a bit further & I've found that "film" is 24.0 frames per second & that "NTSC standard" is 29.97 frames per second. So should I encode the DVDs at 24fps?

you always want to stay as close if not exact to the actual frame rate used on your source material.

if you download virtualdubmod (http://www.videohelp.com), it is one of the few free programs that will tell you the true framerate of whatever clip you input (open clip, then go under the video tab, then framerate).

a good chunk of the time you will see it as ntsc film (23.97) frames. This means you would do as Boon suggested. Encode using 23.97 but apply pulldown (23.97 frames but internally 29.97). This tells the dvd player to play yhe film as 23.97, but ouput it as a proper 29.97 for ntsc dvd players)

Not going this route and encoding a straight 23-24.97 frames to 29.97 will produce a stuttering effect since a few frames would have to do duplicated in order to compensate for the different frame rate.

Back
Top Bottom