• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

NOIR and NEO NOIR Appreciation Thread (Movies/TV/Games etc)

MusicEd921

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I’ve always loved a good detective story and the seedy storylines that can accompany them. Movies like Maltese Falcon and the neo-noir Chinatown have led me to branch out into other classics of the genre such as Sunset Boulevard and Double Indemnity.

I’ve also found that there are so many differing opinions on what constitutes a film as being noir as I’ve watched many and some I walk away from feeling that it’s place in the genre is questionable. I’ve also watched some that I thought would qualify as a noir, only to find that I’m wrong about it.

It’s an interesting genre with many great films and stories and I wanted to get an appreciation thread going for reviews, recommendations and discussions.

My top 5 at the moment are (in no particular order):

1. Sunset Boulevard
2. Double Indemnity
3. Kansas City Confidential
4. Murder, My Sweet
5. Maltese Falcon

Sunset Boulevard is incredible. The musical wasn't bad, but the original movie truly shines!

Did you ever see the TV show "Mike Hammer"? The old B&W version stars the dad from "A Christmas Story" as a rough PI, the color show has Stacey Keach in a half-parody of noir.

And to shamelessly plug my own Noir edit: check out The Hot Spot in B&W.

Night and the City is a great, underrated noir. Ace in the Hole as well, if you'd count it. Noir is an oft debated genre; lot's of well known tropes that criss-cross. Personally, I don't think something has to be a hard-boiled detective drama to count. Invasion of the Bodysnatchers and The Incredible Shrinking Man (which I also fanedited) are science fiction, but definitely have some noir traits.

Just remembered 1998's Dark City, in my view a great example of sci-fi neo-noir.

Seems that there is also another noir of the same title from 1950, know nothing about that though.

Also very fond of Touch of Evil, perhaps the Welles film I find myself rewatching more than any other, not bad for something I think I heard of for the first time being referred to dismissively in a clip from Ed Wood!

Also very fond of Touch of Evil, perhaps the Welles film I find myself rewatching more than any other, not bad for something I think I heard of for the first time being referred to dismissively in a clip from Ed Wood!
Also briefly mentioned and seen in Get Shorty.

Love Noir! It is a genre with so many facets, offshoots and interpretations.

Of the classic era, my personal favourites include THE BIG SLEEP, KISS ME DEADLY, LAURA, GILDA, THE KILLERS, IN A LONELY PLACE, KEY LARGO, MALTESE FALCON (okay, ANY movie with Humphrey Bogart!!!lol), THE BIG SLEEP, DOUBLE INDEMNITY....

I think the sub-genre I enjoy the most is L.A. Noir with the tough cop/detective who never backs down or is driven by a code of honor.

More recent entries in this category include MULHOLLAND FALLS...

...and the current BOSCHE tv series is a fantastic L.A. Neon Noir

I love noir and neo noir. The latest MAFIA remake was amazing. I played it in b&w. Here are some screencaps that came to mind in my library.
Oh, I always take screenshots of pretty games while I play.
I could go on and on with screenshots from other games and movies but I'll save them.
full

full
full

full

My friend and I are planning to start a film noir podcast. We’re planning on doing the usual reviews and trivia, but also want to discuss how each movie fits in the film noir genre/movement and try to examine the psyche of the characters. The show will have a laid back feel of two friends enjoying a cup of coffee and discussing/debating some of the well known and lesser well known films, especially ones that aren’t typically discussed as a way to motivate people to check them out. Our biggest gripe with most podcasts is how off topic a lot of them get and we want to keep ours focused while also maintaining an organic conversation/celebration of the films, even if they weren’t the best.

We’ve kicked around a few potentials:

-A Touch of Noir
-Pickup on Noir Street
-Coffee and Crime (I’m feeling like this one screams true crime podcast though)
-Sweet Smell of Noir

Open to suggestions on titles and other items you’d be interested in hearing about. Looking forward to some comments!

I'm excited to watch Blast of Silence (1961) this upcoming holiday season. Criterion just released it on bluray and it was promptly on my doorstep yesterday. Between that and watching Christmas Holiday (1944), this should be a dark and grimy double feature (both of which will be my first time checking them out).

Has anybody seen a noir worth recommending lately?

Back
Top Bottom