• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

No Time To Die IMAX 1.78:1 Restoration [1080p] | COMPLETED

teymourb

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I completed this restoration almost a year ago but had never published it so here it is. Original post can be found on Reddit here.
I was aided by a fellow redditor
u/whatudontlikefalafel whom I wish to thank for their advice, suggestions and their own IMAX edit which I took inspiration from.

NTTD.jpg

Purpose
The purpose of this restoration is to partially recreate the theatrical IMAX version of No Time To Die by combining the widescreen 2.39:1 footage from the Blu-ray and the IMAX 1.78:1 sequences from the Open Matte WEB-DL.

Process and restoration quality
The widescreen footage was sourced from a rip copy of my Blu-ray disc. The IMAX footage was sourced from the Open Matte WEB-DL.
The footage was transcoded to DNxHR HQ using Shutter Encoder.
Using DaVinci Resolve, the regular Blu-ray widescreen footage was combined with the Open Matte IMAX 1.78:1 footage. Then the final product was exported to DNxHR HQ from DaVinci Resolve and encoded in Handbrake with the bitrate of the Blu-ray disc. All audio tracks were kept the same as on the disc. The subtitles were modified in order to take into account certain parts with hardcoded russian subtitles. (see more below)
The workflow of this restoration is meant to preserve as much quality as possible at every step and the result is a virtually lossless re-encode of the source footage.

The following is an explanation on the 2 different versions of my restoration NTTD Im and NTTD Sc:

Specific changes between versions Im and Sc
When presented in IMAX 1.43:1 in theatres, NTTD featured 3 aspect ratios (1.43:1, 1.90:1 and 2.39:1). The IMAX 1.90:1 scenes were actually shot in 5/70mm. They were therefore slightly horizontally cropped from 5/70mm's native aspect ratio of 2.20:1. In the Open Matte version, those 1.90:1 scenes are cropped even further to fit the taller 1.78:1 aspect ratio. There are a total of 124 such shots (mostly shots inside the car).

Figure 2: Example of a 5/70mm shot presented in 1.90:1 in IMAX venues

• For NTTD version Im, I have decided to use the cropped shots in 1.78:1 so the aspect ratio is consistent throughout the IMAX sequences.

• For NTTD version Sc, I have decided to keep those shots in the Blu-ray scope 2.39:1 format as an alternative. The quickly alternating aspect ratio may be bothering to some, but I know I enjoy this version better.

Hardcoded Russian Subtitles
One thing to note, I had to find a solution around the hardcoded Russian subtitles during 3 sequences. So I overlaid hardcoded English subtitles inside an opaque black box for these shots. Maybe there's a better solution but I wasn't too satisfied with the attempt at removing them with VFX. Subtitles included in the .mkv files have been adapted to this edit and are different for each version. Funnily enough, this took me almost as much time as the rest of the editing process.

Opening Credits
Also, there's some slight cropping and zooming that I've had to do in the last few shots of the opening credits sequence to make it work. The shrinking text isn't too off-putting in my opinion.

Disclaimer: Please note, I do not condone piracy of any kind, and in order to download a fanedit you must own the source material. Also, fanedits are free and done as a hobby. I make no profit from these edits, nor should they be sold anywhere.

No Time To Die IMAX 1.78:1 versions:
  • No Time To Die - Sc (42 GB)
  • No Time To Die - Im (42 GB)

Feel free to ask any questions about my restoration which isn't clear from my posts.

Timeline-NTTD.png

I have seen a similar restoration to mine done before but I believe there were a few shots missing and also it was only one of the two versions and the quality wasn't as good as I wanted.

Last edited:
As long as they don't fuck up and admit they downloaded the open matte versions illegally like I did, they'll be fine lmao

What is the difference between this edit and the original Russian web-dl?

Also if this edit is permitted, perhaps @bbghost 's Blade Runner 2049 Eye-Max edition should be as well?
The Russian Web-dl has the non-IMAX scenes cropped (left and right) from 2.39:1 to 1.78:1. My restoration keeps the unaltered 2.39:1 scenes (letterboxed) from the Blu-ray as they were shown in IMAX theatres.

The Russian Web-dl has the non-IMAX scenes cropped (left and right) from 2.39:1 to 1.78:1. My restoration keeps the unaltered 2.39:1 scenes (letterboxed) from the Blu-ray as they were shown in IMAX theatres.
What is the Russian Web-dl?

Back
Top Bottom