• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

No longer recognizing VOB files in music or voice parts of timeline

Mark Moore

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Recently (I first noticed it yesterday while working on my Captain N edit), Womble stopped recognizing VOB files once I moved them from video to either audio (music or voice) in the timeline. If I closed the project and then re-opened it, it would even give me a message that those files were not for use in those fields, and then it would automatically remove them from the timeline. I frequently chop parts of dialogue or music and move them to audio to smooth things over as part of my editing, and Womble's sudden refusal to let me do so affects EVERY edit that I'm currently working on (Captain N, Silk Spectre, and the massive Highlander: Endgame). I need either some way to get Womble to re-allow this or a work-around.

A workaround would be to not edit VOBs but to work with audio and video separately.

work around is demux with PGCdemux and remux with something like Imago MPEG Muxer. I've never encountered this problem with Womble but I don't work with the VOB files as is, I work with MPEGs.

TV's Frink said:
A workaround would be to not edit VOBs but to work with audio and video separately.

True, but with womble, at least when working with muxed MPEGs, you can drag an MPEG onto one of the audio channel timelines and it will use that audio.

Well I was half right despite never using Womble. :p

Gatos said:
True, but with womble, at least when working with muxed MPEGs, you can drag an MPEG onto one of the audio channel timelines and it will use that audio.

That no longer holds true. I had the same issue as the original poster when I was working with some small clips for a quick youtube video. I had to actually use the import option for it to take to the timeline (and then it HAD to be the audio only). The drag option no longer works. No idea if its an oversight bug in newer versions or since it works with direct show filters if something changed with them in ffd show

Either way I have not found a solution. Even going back a version or two (re-install) this "bug" persist. It could possibly be something flagged in registry settings but I have not looked too much into that

tranzor said:
That no longer holds true. I had the same issue as the original poster when I was working with some small clips for a quick youtube video. I had to actually use the import option for it to take to the timeline (and then it HAD to be the audio only). The drag option no longer works. No idea if its an oversight bug in newer versions or since it works with direct show filters if something changed with them in ffd show

Either way I have not found a solution. Even going back a version or two (re-install) this "bug" persist. It could possibly be something flagged in registry settings but I have not looked too much into that

Well I should have qualified my statement. I don't mean just dragging a file from a folder onto the timeline. I open the video in the left side window. Then add it to the timeline. Then I copy and paste onto the audio timeline. But anyway, sucks that you guys are both having that problem. Somehow I've avoided most of the headaches associated with Womble.

I've found a work-around - at least for my Captain N edit. I copy the clip that I want to use for audio, paste it in a new timeline, and convert it to MPEG-1 Audio. I then import it in my project timeline. Works just fine.

I just have to find a solution for my HL: Endgame edit (Silk Spectre should be fine; I think I've used VOB as audio in only one spot so far, so I can easily fix that). If I can't, then I might as well scrap the whole thing, because there's a TON of instances where I've used VOB as audio.

I just find the whole thing annoying. Sometimes you will edit the main film and alter/change what have you. You then need that exact audio to go with it and previous "highlighting" and selecting the clips on video timeline and then pasting them on the audio timeline would work fine (this no longer is allowed). In some cases womble will now not even acknowledge ac3 audio only clips either anymore and wont let you use them. So something is def broken in it somewhere. I might do a total wipe and go way back to the last version that this did not occur (which might have been 3 or 4 versions ago)

Mark Moore said:
I've found a work-around - at least for my Captain N edit. I copy the clip that I want to use for audio, paste it in a new timeline, and convert it to MPEG-1 Audio. I then import it in my project timeline. Works just fine.

I just have to find a solution for my HL: Endgame edit (Silk Spectre should be fine; I think I've used VOB as audio in only one spot so far, so I can easily fix that). If I can't, then I might as well scrap the whole thing, because there's a TON of instances where I've used VOB as audio.

Ok I can now confirm it is a bug or something broken in the very latest version (that being 5.01.105). I completely uninstalled it and cleaned out the program folder. I did not touch the reg keys though they did not seem to have any info. I re-installed the latest version and the same audio error occurred.

So I went through my archive discs and fished out the version right before the latest (5.01.104). I did another clean install removing fully the 105 version. Once I did this and put back on the 104, sure as shit the audio problem no longer occurred. It is working fine like it used to.

hey Mark, if you want version 104 let me know

and wanted to now verify this newest version does indeed fix the audio timeline issue, now it is back like it used to be and you can drag whatever clips onto it

Yeah, I noticed it was fixed while doing my Captain N edit, but I still ended up converting the needed bits of audio to audio format - just to be consistent. I'm working on Silk Spectre and Highlander by using the VOB files in the audio fields.

Back
Top Bottom