• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

NIGHTMARE ON ELM ST. Anthology / Volume 1 (2 dvd set 2009)

dr.sapirstein said:
Sorry if some of you are having troubles playing it, I have no idea why.
Yes the original MPG file was rendered on Vegas, and a DVD9 was created/authored with it, then shrunk to a DVD5 using 'DVD-Shrink'. I've tested 2 burned copies (one burned at x4, one at x8) on 2 different players (one being a lame, 30euros DVD player, linked to a regular TV, the other being a BR/DVD Pioneer player linked to a projector), and both played fine, no jitter or anything.
DVD Shrink is a transcoder, not an encoder.
This is why there are frames that look like this:
anoesrunning.jpg

DVD Shrink is fast but you wasted alot of time by doing a 6 pass-VBR encode only to release a DVD that is a huge step down in quality and compatiblility from what you started out with.

When testing the DVDs, does the remote work properly? Fast forwarding, rewinding, and whatnot... I doubt it.
MPC will play it, but it is unable to get the file properties - the menu item is greyed out.
It can read the properties only if I load the .vob files directly.

It would be a good idea to re-encode it properly.
It would save alot of people some hassle.

Okay finished watching last night. Found a few other minor issues. I don't know at least for the first two if its from the Blu-Ray or if its something that happened during the encoding process or what but I thought I'd mention them regardless.

3:00 or so - Pixelation at the top of the screen for a few seconds.
5:23 - Some kind of interference happens at the top of the frame for half a second.
1:23:39-1:23:42 - There's a few dead seconds of black video/no audio between the "Okay Kruger we play in your court" line leading to the overhead shot of the ambulance across the street. More than likely an oversight during the editing process.

Otherwise this is a very solidly well done edit. The finished Nancy going to sleep bit is nicely done and felt right at home in the film. I also liked most of the extended and new scenes added in as well. Most of the stuff is small yet it reminds me a lot of the extended verison of "Wrath Of Khan" in that even the small additions really enhance an already great film. The only thing I felt that didn't work as well for me was the alternate shots used during the infamous telephone tongue scene. The shots used in the theatrical cut to me were far more scarier than the alternate ones used here but that's just my opinion.

Hopefully with these few things fixed up this will be one fantastic fan edit. Great work.

I just had a look and of those 3 items mentioned above, I'd say only the last one at1:23:39 is noticable or distracting.
So it's not as bad as it seems.
I'm currently encoding an avi and I'll upload it today.
Actually, I did upload this to MU before realising that it was transcoded down with DVD Shrink.
Should I delete it or make the links available?

I guess it depends on if it gets re-encoded...

I played the disc 1 SL on two different DVD players and there are video issues with it for sure.

zeppelinrox said:
I just had a look and of those 3 items mentioned above, I'd say only the last one at1:23:39 is noticable or distracting.

I only mentioned the first two on the basis of hopefully they are fixable issues. If not then no biggie. However the drop at 1:23:39 is something that should be fixed.

Thank you very much for your inputs guys, and Mr. Demolition Man: Thank you for the review! I will work on it to fix the glitches and upload the new DVD once it's done, definitely. :)

zeppelinrox said:
My first post clearly asks for no mirrors and no re-encodes, so... it'd be nice not to.

zeppelinrox said:
My first post clearly asks for no mirrors and no re-encodes, so... it'd be nice not to.[/quote]
Oh I hadn't noticed that.
Sorry man.
Though I'm not sure why sending the origs to MU would be an issue :-?

Though I'm not sure why sending the origs to MU would be an issue

That's how one keeps a hosting account (and links, and future uploads) alive, that's how it works. ;) Thanks for understanding.
BTW,The new version of the DVD is currently uploading. I've fixed the black drop at 1.23.39, and all issues of playback problems/bitrate limits are now fixed.
Sorry for the previous glitches you guys.

You know that RS had reduced the limite from 90 days to 60, before they delete files that haven't been downloaded, right?
That's why boon has been goin like crazy copying stuff over from RS to MU.

zeppelinrox said:
You know that RS had reduced the limite from 90 days to 60, before they delete files that haven't been downloaded, right?

Yes but despite this, I'm sticking to Rapidshare. One just has to make sure his links are downloaded at least once every 60 days, not a problem.

dr.sapirstein said:
zeppelinrox said:

Yes but despite this, I'm sticking to Rapidshare. One just has to make sure his links are downloaded at least once every 60 days, not a problem.
yes, it is easy to take care of a few files. My problem is that I have quite a lot to take care of. I will stick to RS as well.

a new and according to Dr Sapirstein "flawless" DVD version is now available on fanedit.info.

Watched this and the video is indeed fixed, good job Dr. S!!!!!

Wow, this sounds fantastic- but please tell me you replaced that terrible rock song in the end credits! I watched the original again last night with my lady (she's a massive Freddy fan, so I will DEFINITELY be grabbing this for her) and, man, does that song blow! We've been trying for a while to get a copy of the Elite Laserdisc (Yes kids, I have a Laserdisc player) so we can see all of the deleted scenes/extra footage- but it's rather pricey. It will be even better to see them re-instated in all their proper glory. Thanks for your hard work on this project! I'll make sure to post feedback after watching.

it's really and purely an EE, so there was nothing replaced.

boon23 said:
it's really and purely an EE, so there was nothing replaced.

From the sound of things he used an alternate ending? one where Freddy doesn't trap everyone in the car. I have yet to watch this but it sounds ingenious, making one of the two really good Freddy films into something better.

Maybe next someone can fan edit Freddy's revenge to remove all the homoeroticism. That's the only unwatched dvd in my box set :/

THE NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET ANTHOLOGY, VOLUME 1 Extended Edition Review by Mollo

Contains Spoilers!!!!!

I was impressed by A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984) on release and was convinced enough to see the next two instalments in the cinema.

That said on re-watching the original theatrical release a while ago and then this Extended FanEdit by Dr. Sapirstein I was surprised at how dated this movie has become.

Still some imagery is fresh and striking such as Freddy appearing above Nancy Thompson's bed and Tina's enclosed in a translucent body-bag being dragged by an invisible hand.

The acting over-all is pretty amateurish but Ronee Blakley as Nancy's mother wins hands down as the worst actor in the production.

So to Dr. Sapirstein's THE NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET ANTHOLOGY, VOLUME 1 Extended Edition.

The editing is seamless and the cross-fades used to intertwine theatrical and deleted footage works excellently. It is a shame that the quality of the deleted material is so degraded. Most of the deleted material is pretty inconsequential and it is clear why these moments were removed.

I did notice a little audio gap when Tina walks into an alley and picks up some worms. The metal bin-lid moves yet no sound effect is added to complete the effect. The sound work on the whole is very well done.

A problem arises during the first killing involving Tina being cut open by invisible knives. Two shots of Freddy looking-on are inserted. They seem alien to the action portrayed on screen, as Freddy is supposedly killing his victim yet is seen standing to the side watching as well. If these shots of Freddy were in the original pre-theatrical cut it is clear why they were removed. Without those two inserts the scene is unquestionably more terrifying and focused.

Most of the added footage extends trimmed theatrical scenes but the death of Johnny Depp has a remarkable moment that I had never seen before. I am unclear as to why this moment was cut as it is chilling and disturbing. Maybe the consensus was that this moment went to far and made the scene comical.

I remember finding the ending of the theatrical cut a brilliant surprise. It was news to me that Wes Craven was "forced" to add the twist ending yet I find the dream-like ending of Dr. Sapirstein's Extended Edition a little of an anti-climax. Maybe seeing the killing of synthetic Ronee Blakley was just too damn enjoyable.

So this is an excellent extended edition and is presented very well. Dr. Sapirstein's formula for using degraded footage by way of cross-fades should become the standard for presenting such works.

I highly recommend this to any A Nightmare on Elm Street fan.

9/10

anyone know where to get disc 2? cause it's kaput. i dled the file thinking it'd be on there. but nothing.

steelio2006 said:
anyone know where to get disc 2? cause it's kaput. i dled the file thinking it'd be on there. but nothing.

Disc 2 can't be found here because it contains officially released material as I recall. As to where to get it that is quite a paradox. :wink:

i saw on A Nightmare on Elm Street message board a post for this. And it had a link for RS for disc 2.

Back
Top Bottom