• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Neglify's 2018 Birthday Scavenger Hunt

"Silence"
Film #17 of Neglify's 2018 Birthday Scavenger Hunt
Item: A film by one of your favourite directors that you haven't seen yet.

An excellent Scorsese film with a powerful message. I just personally didn't think Andrew Garfield or Adam Driver were right for this.

4/5

100% agree. Other directors in his age bracket still working today have gone down in quality quite dramatically. Clint Eastwood hasn't made anything truly great since "Letters From Iwo Jima" in 2006.

"2019: After the Fall of New York"
Film #18 of Neglify's 2018 Birthday Scavenger Hunt
Item: May 18th is National Endangered Species Day; watch a movie featuring an endangered species.

This movie is a prime example of why I love Italian cinema so damn much. Take a look at an American made film that came out the same year in the same genre and probably about the same budget range as this film. It's called Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone and it's stupid as shit.

"2019" though, this flick has a competent director who knows how to utilize a camera and a talented editor who makes everything flow smoothly. Yeah it's a cheesy cheap genre flick, but it's decent as hell. Now I gotta check out more of Sergio Martino's smut.

3.5/5

"Class of 1999"
Film #19 of Neglify's 2018 Birthday Scavenger Hunt
Item: Watch a film that's set in or features a school.

I couldn't stop thinking about how accurate this film was at predicting the future, at least for the Class of 1999 at Columbine High School. I also can't believe this is actually a sequel to this other punk film Class of 1984 and this spawned a sequel, Class of 1999 II - The Substitute, although that film isn't written and directed by master auteur Mark L. Lester, so I don't know if I'll ever cap off the trilogy.

2.5/5

"Gymkata"
Film #20 of Neglify's 2018 Birthday Scavenger Hunt
Item: World Laughter Day is celebrated on the first Sunday in May; watch a film that you think will make you laugh.

Yeah sure I laughed, but I was quite mournful during the film, thinking about how much the director's career took a nosedive. In 1973 Robert Clouse directed the phenomenal "Enter the Dragon" and just 12 short years later he's reduced to so-bad-it's-funny garbage. I guess it's what happens when you literally kill Bruce Lee and desecrate his corpse on film.

2/5

I imagine you already know this (but in case you don't), RLM did a segment on Gymkata at the end of this episode:

Hell yeah, I've put a ton of BoTW flicks on my watchlist. As part of Halloween 2016's challenge, I watched "The New Gladiators", "RobotJox", "Ice Cream Man", "Curse of the Wolf" (a Len Kabasinki film) and the absolutely wonderful "Xtro", all of which I got from RLM. I haven't watched BoTW in quite a while mainly because I know I'd get too anxious to watch so many more trashy terrors.

Stephen-Colbert-Frozen-Jaw-Drop-Gif-On-The-Colbert-Report-Gif.gif

"Peggy Sue Got Married"
Bonus Film of Neglify's 2018 Birthday Scavenger Hunt
Item: A film set in school.

It occurred to me while watching this film that Francis Coppola (as he was billed here) has always been a fan of nostalgia. The Godfather Trilogy spans from ~1900 to ~1980, Apocalypse Now was about a past war, damn near every movie he made in the 80s was displaced in time. He kinda came out of his time travel trip in the mid-90s, or rather, he stopped "browsing through time". But damn, he made some good flicks until that Jack POS. That's the film that killed him legit.

3.5/5

"The Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Stopped Living and Became Mixed-Up Zombies!!?"
Film #21 of Neglify's 2018 Birthday Scavenger Hunt
Item: A movie with five or more words in the title.

The title is astoundingly epic. The film is a boring, baffling mess. Thankfully I had Mystery Science Theater Three Thousand to entertain me.

2/5

And so now I close the book on this wonderful Scavenger Hunt.  Here's a nice recap of the highs...

Best Film Watched - Roman Holiday

Worst Film Watched - The Amityville Curse

Most Ridiculous Film Watched - [Fear and Loathing in] The Star Wars Holiday Special

Best Man Crush - Emilio Estevez (Ranking List)

Best Excuse To Utilize "Bonus Reviews" - filling some gaps in Francis Ford Coppola's filmography 

Best Letterbox'd List Published On My Birthday - 99 Films That Define Neglify

a belated heppi birsdei, mon!
may you be born again every year, phoenix-like.

When will Neglify stop having birthdays? Seems to happen every year or so now. May he continue to have more though.

Back
Top Bottom