• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. More details on our policies, especially our Own the Source rule are available here. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Favorite Edit of the Year (FEOTY) 2020 Awards are here.

Need help with subpicture timing on reauthored DVD

DoctorM

Well-known member
Faneditor
Messages
473
Reaction score
0
Trophy Points
21
Without going into all the details, here is the situation.

I'm working on an edited and I want to maintain the original DVD's structure as much as possible.

I've demuxed (with vobedit) the video, audio (actually the audio is from another source) and subpictures. I also saved the celltimes with ifoedit.

I edited some of the video, I found the audio delay for the new audio, and tried to mux the whole thing back together with ifoedit.

I then tried using IfoUpdate as the final step to fix any problems but it tells me there's a mismatch in the number of chapters (huh?)

So I re-ripped the celltimes with DVD Decrypter, and then I had to copy and paste the subpicture color tables with ifoedit (whew.)

Anyway, then the subpictures were out of sync so I deleted the vobedit rips and instead used VobSub followed by Idx/SubToSup. (IfoEdit's authoring software really should let you set a delay on subpictures).
Now the subtitles are in sync.

The problem I'm left with is at no point in this process did the subtitles stay on the screen for the correct length of time.
Some do, but longer timed ones turn off before they're suppose to.

Where is this data located? What's causing this, and am I screwed?
A stupid one day edit that I was going to announce as finished today has led to me getting almost no sleep and hours in front of the computer just to author the damn thing.
 

DoctorM

Well-known member
Faneditor
Messages
473
Reaction score
0
Trophy Points
21
Ok, I've narrowed the problem down to the video stream.

Either VobEdit is a bad stream ripper, Womble's Fixing borked it, or the small tweaked section completely throws off the whole disc.

I may need to find a way to edit an mpeg stream without doing the Womble Fixing of it first, which means I can't edit with Womble.
I can't think of a single other way to do that short of using avisynth and re-encoding the whole DVD... and that would be obnoxious.
 

DoctorM

Well-known member
Faneditor
Messages
473
Reaction score
0
Trophy Points
21
Ok if anyone is reading or cares: even though Womble is doing a direct stream copy the video with a tiny tweak that doesn't change the number of frames, it's the problem... now to find a fix.
 

DoctorM

Well-known member
Faneditor
Messages
473
Reaction score
0
Trophy Points
21
Ok for anyone who runs into this.
Womble screws up the video. I used Womble for reference and duplicated all edits in a free program called Cuttermaran.
 
Top Bottom