• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

My Favorite Edits After Writing 100+ Reviews

JasonFlippy

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!
Love you people, love this site, love the edits, let's have a great 2024!

-------------

Some small notes:
  • I tried to narrow it down to a Top Ten and it was impossible to choose!
  • The 100+ edits I have watched so far total nearly 11,000 minutes or ~180 hours!
  • Just because your edit isn't listed doesn't mean I didn't like it! I gave out 42 "Perfect 10" ratings in my first 100 reviews.
  • I threw in a review after each listing, in case you haven't seen it yet and want an idea of what it entails. No spoilers!
-------------

(IN ALPHABETICAL ORDER)

1.jpg
11.jpg
12.jpg

@Last Impressions
This fully fixed a movie that I would never have considered re-watching, it's that good. I found so much of the original to be strange and uncompelling but the trimming here kept the story strong and the new ending really solidified it for me. The editor went above and beyond to actually go read Joseph Conrad's "Heart of Darkness" to inform their narrative decisions and it shows. They took a movie that annoyed, bored, and somewhat angered me and made it into something I would watch again any time.

@TM2YC
What can I say about the 2nd Highest Rated Fan Edit on IFDB that hasn't already been said? The quality is amazing, the movie feels fresh and beautiful and new, and there's even SUBTITLES, PEOPLE! The color balance is fantastic, which I really appreciated. Somehow before this I was just never that big of a Blade Runner fan, but I could finally see why this movie is so revered and decorated. Incredible, incredible work and I will be back to this edit time and time again.

@krausfadr
This edit literally saved this movie for me. It was by far the weakest of the Hopkins films, but this elevated it above Red Dragon and close to Silence of the Lambs. Creating an Act-like structure of The Downfall, The Tracking, and The Showdown was masterful! Holding Lecter's first appearance to later keeps him mysterious and scary, the deleted scenes around the "Botticelli murderer" were great, rewriting the Inspector to be smarter, and using the Alternate Ending are just a few of the incredible moves that fixed this former-stinker up into a fantastic crime/horror .

2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

@doggo moon
I absolutely loved it. It was tight, controlled, careful in what it selected and what it didn't, and the new music was so so good. It told the story of "Joker" in one-third the time with three times the emotional punch, and the actual edit work is flawless. Plus I can't even remember what is missing (aside from the Zazie Beetz plotline). It really impressed me, as I'm sure it has many others before me.

@Dawnrazor
Focusing in on Neil and creating a new ending for this absolute classic crime movie was something I wouldn't have ever considered (I thought it was perfect the way it originally was) but I'm telling you when you watch it like this with all the side plots sucked out there's no question that this edit absolutely rocks. The new ending works very well and is extremely satisfying (even though I can't decide which ending I prefer). I have literally nothing negative to say, it was perfect.

@Stromboli Bones
There's a reason this edit is the 7th Highest Ranked Edit on IFDB. By cutting nearly half the runtime from this bloated trilogy and turning it into 5 episodes, you really get the sense of what could have been in the theaters. I really loved how well the episodes played out, and the titles were so well thought out! "A Warm Welcome" worked on three different levels for just that one episode, it was really amazing. I loved how each episode was 1 hour but never felt cut-off too quickly. Most incredibly it took a trilogy that I was so sour about and got me to actually enjoy it, which is nearly a miracle.

5.jpg
13.jpg
6.jpg

@DonkeyKonga
This is 100% the right (read: only) way you should watch this movie! Depending on what cut you have, DK literally edited physical mouth-movement out of a scene to make the nuke removal work, and I never would have noticed if they hadn't specifically mentioned it. And that's just the start of it! All the other edits are tight, the narrative is more fun, there's way less family drama, and the movie is back on my list of "Indiana Jones films that I'll show my kids one day."

@spence
Listen, I am firmly in the camp of "Bill's episode is the best hour of TV I've seen in a decade," but this edit stands perfectly without it (and without the Left Behind story). They exist still in a special Bonus Episode put together by Spence, but this edit really sings as an "Ellie and Joel only" tale. These three movie-episodes, which I'm alternating between calling "Tess, Kathleen, and Ellie" OR "Boston, Kansas City, and Colorado," are perfect the way they are. They tell a clean, clear story mirroring the flow of the game very well, and as a standalone series they're perfectly paced. Even more impressive is deleting almost 4 hours of footage while gaining emotional impact!

@futon88 with @ArtisDead
My first real screen name was "theprofessional###," so keep that in mind when I say this edit somehow improved one of my favorite movies of all time. Removing tons of creepy 12 year old girl sexual stuff was already a great move (thank you so much for that), but then they went further and picked a brand new soundtrack that actually worked for me. 99% of the time when someone changes the soundtrack I appreciate the effort that went in but my brain can't wrap itself around how different the scene feels. Here every single song was so perfect that I honestly couldn't even remember if it was in the original. I'm also very impressed with the length of the movie given how much was removed. Excellent scene choices really helped me feel like this was Mathilda's movie.

7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg

@krausfadr
Another incredible cut by krausfadr. I loved the extra scenes throughout, highlighting both Commodus's confidence in his rule and his insanity while toning down his ridiculous behavior and making him a much scarier threat. Easily one of the best changes is reordering the Emperor's hug scene to match the deleted scene of Commodus hugging his father's statue. Inspired! Adding back the scenes of political espionage really added some much-needed intelligence to the film.

@PaulisDead2221
This is possibly the most ambitious edit out of the 100+ I've seen, and it really does succeed massively across the board. The classic Hitchcock music and the visual changes are so good at changing the mood that it makes shots go from "funny, quirky reality tv show" to "nightmarish dystopia." It's like I was watching a classic Twilight Zone episode, it was that good. When I first saw it it really inspired me to up my own game. Well worth a watch, even if you don't like the original.

@Wraith
Having seen the trilogy several times, and with a deep love for Unbreakable since it came out, I was blown away by the merging of Split and Glass into the narrative. The time jumps were handled so well that title cards were never needed, and seeing deleted scenes smoothly incorporated into the Unbreakable narrative was really a treat. Make sure you watch the mid-credits and post-credits scenes for the full story, and don't forget to check out the companion piece to UGS called SUG, another fully formed movie made using tons of footage not found in UGS. Both are amazing in their own right.

LASTLY, I know this one is cheating because it's actually 11 different edits but...
10.jpg

@ArtisDead, @Dawnrazor, @FrameSniffer, @futon88, @greenturnedblue
@krausfadr, @Phase3, @theomega, @thepotatoparadox, @Wraith
Original Idea by @It'sOnRandom and greatly expanded on by @Wraith, @spence, and @ArtisDead
I don't think there's anyone on here who doesn't know this massively successful project so I'll just say that like all of you I was blown away. Some of the editing was so complex, the narratives so impossible to resolve, that I can't believe the Red Apple Crew's heads didn't explode doing it. If I had to pick the 3 that MOST IMPROVED their original counterparts, then they would be Death Proof, OUATIH, and Jackie Brown, but honestly they're all incredible. This is such a fun project, and I'm really glad I got to experience it.

Last edited:
@JasonFlippy

Flipper, I laud you for your commitment to watching and reviewing so many edits in the time that you have been a member of our family. You have set an amazing example for all of us to follow.

I really appreciate that you have chosen Mathilda as one of your favorite edits. It is one of my top five favorite edits, as well. The genius behind that edit is @futon88. He credits me because I played a part in the soundtrack and guiding him back to his original intention for the edit, but he deserves the credit. He is, hands down, one of the best Fan editors. I watch his edits and am continually noticing details that I hadn't noticed before. It was a huge honor to be a part of Mathilda.

I also appreciate the massive compliments that you shower upon Red Apple Crew and The Tarantino Tales. You are very generous. @It'sOnRandom may have suggested the idea of editing the Tarantino movies into one hour episodes but the real genius behind the creation and success of that massive project was @Wraith. I watched as he suggested ideas and grew the project. I may have chosen most of the editors and producers and did some artwork but @Wraith and @spence deserve the lion's share of the credit. @spence mentored all of the editors and helped them polish their edits. They are both absolute fanediting legends.

The editors themselves deserve a huge amount of credit. They worked very hard on their own edits and helped each other make their edits as close to perfect as possible.

Thank you for acknowledging this hobby that we all love so much! You are one of our most awesome new family members. I just wanted the credit for those projects to be clear.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for clarifying! I will update the post so that everyone can see right off the bat, and you don't need to thank me for enjoying being here :) it's quickly become one of my favorite places and favorite hobbies! And I appreciate you always chatting, helping me out, pushing me to do new stuff, wouldn't be the same without you.

Wow that's amazing. 100 reviews! Holy cow! Honored that you consider my Indy edit one of your favorite Jason! On to a thousand? :p

Last edited:
I would love to watch every review on here but I'd probably go broke buying source materials haha! Your edit was the first I saw where I felt like you did your own movie quality VFX, it really surprised me because I forgot that people can just *do* that, and I'm still learning After Effects now, so thank you for inspiring me!

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!
Love you people, love this site, love the edits, let's have a great 2024!

@Wraith

LASTLY, I know this one is cheating because it's actually 11 different edits but...
10.jpg
Wow....

Thank you so much for the mentions....Humbled for sure....

funnily enough...I just posted my 100th review...

Can I join in? This seems to be the place to do it (rather than staring another thread)...

You deserve to get way more than just a mention from some random guy for that UGS edit (and judging by the FEOTY polls looks like you will)!

Can I join in? This seems to be the place to do it (rather than staring another thread)...

I would love that! Please drop that list, I'm always looking for some great recommendations too :) congrats on your 100th Review!

I realised there were two edits I thought I had reviewed but had not….and I could not do my list without them….

My goal with reviewing has always been to hopefully inspire people to write their own reviews, so the more of you that want to race me to first place the better ;)

So before my list of 10, here are two which sit above the 10…
I shan’t repeat what’s in my reviews but I’ll make a salient point for each…

Both were game changers for me but in differing ways.

Inspired me to take chances and go beyond the conventional…this is the edit I tell anyone who asks for a “which should I view first”?

Wow! This was the Hobbit edit that dared to trim two thirds away and keep it well paced, innovative choices and solutions and @spence ‘s hallmark score replacement genius! This was the edit that led to my return after a 7 year AWOL…and I watch it more than my own version!

TOP TEN derived from only edits I reviewed.…alphabeticaly

By
@TM2YC
Coz it gave us all back what was already perfection.

Coz it turned this into the genius detective story it was crying out to be…with some subtle vfx to drive home some plot points too!

By
@ranger613

With the religious subplot removed, what remains is a two hr drama about two brothers that revealed something to me I had missed for years…CHARLTON HESTON was a far better actor than I ever realised …until this edit…I then went on a Heston binge….Touch Of Evil…seek it out!!!!

By @TM2YC

P E R F E C T I O N !
This is MY GOTO….
The only reason mine even exists is coz I’m a compulsive tweaker!

By
@ScottCrane

This should not even exist.
Like Pulp Empire, who in their right mind would touch an icon? No one will screw with Citizen Kane…
And here we have a rescoring that is sublime…it just fits….

By
@INIGHTMARES

When this dropped into @ArtisDead and my laps… I really thought that this was going to be quite half baked….I LOVE IT WHEN I’M THIS WRONG!
….Gyorgi Ligeti
…nuff said!

By @ArtisDead and @futon88

Sublime music choices and bold creepiness removal elevates this to new heights…. With trailers with music from Arts encyclopaedic ears and deft weaving from 88…perfection all round!

By
@ParanoidAndroid

Coz he removes the sour bitter taste that an obsessed BBC feels they must inject conflict and embellish their stream of recent biopics with crass shit!
Editing bleach applied with a gorgeous b&w grade to boot! My heroes have been saved !!!

By
@bionicbob

I had long planned this amassing assets for years…but Bob did it better than I ever would have…and was kind enough to “ask”…heck…I’m delighted he made this “just for me…” LOL.
Resurrecting the impossible!
Glorious!
:)

By
@flixcapacitor
….ahhhh so THIS IS HOW I recall the comic…there is no better way to watch this epic!

And now my multi edit cheat add on

By
@subjectzero

A mammoth 22 movie monster that halves the run time and allows sceptics to skip thru season 1 so that they can get to the meat and potatoes that the rest of know is the main course…
What stamina in viewing this to plan it…
Outstanding achievement!

Now I need to review the many edits I realise I’ve watched and not shared thoughts on….

I’ll see you all back here at 200 reviews!!!!
X
W

Last edited:
That's an awesome list. I've only seen Godzilla, Pulp Empire, Blade Runner, and Mathilda but I loved them. Pulp is such an incredible watch for its inventiveness! It almost made my list except I wasn't sure if I would ever watch it again.

I will for sure check out more from your list, probably starting with Batman, Watchmen, and Amadeus!

That's an awesome list. I've only seen Godzilla, Pulp Empire, Blade Runner, and Mathilda but I loved them. Pulp is such an incredible watch for its inventiveness! It almost made my list except I wasn't sure if I would ever watch it again.

I will for sure check out more from your list, probably starting with Batman, Watchmen, and Amadeus!
Second objective fulfilled…
Watch more edits…
Since without, one can’t write more reviews…

Back
Top Bottom