• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

MPEG -4 Movie Editor

Nero might be a kitchen sink at this point BUT it has all it's codecs contained within itself. It doesn't depend on other parts of the system. It has it's own mpeg2 and mpeg4 engine. During the install it lets you choose which components to install, just don't install the ones you don't need. Stick to the main one and the two video editing ones.

Nero's mpg2 and mpg4 engines suck, and it installs a lot of crap on your system. There are a lot better kitchen sinks out there. I would recommend convertXtoDVD over nero.

I've had Nero on my system many times, and every time it either crashes, or refuses to even load up. It's just a load of crap. I can vouch for convertXtoDVD as well. An awesome little program if ever there was one.

Wasn't convertXtoDVD listed on the FFMPEG Hall of Shame for commercial programs that violate the gpl and resell their code? For a place that doesn't support piracy, I am surprised fanedit would endorse such a program from unethical developers. They may have fixed it since then, but it still leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I refuse to use the products of companies that take other peoples code and sell it as their own. At least Nero licenses their software correctly.

wabid said:
Wasn't convertXtoDVD listed on the FFMPEG Hall of Shame for commercial programs that violate the gpl and resell their code? For a place that doesn't support piracy, I am surprised fanedit would endorse such a program from unethical developers. They may have fixed it since then, but it still leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I refuse to use the products of companies that take other peoples code and sell it as their own. At least Nero licenses their software correctly.

I don't know anything about that. My comment wasn't an "official Fanedit.org endorsement." It was simply to point out that if someone is looking for a one-click solution, there are far better applications than Nero.

I don't use any of these applications, but I've tried many of them in the past, including multiple versions of Nero. The encoder is poor, the editing interface is awkward, and it is incredibly bloated (not to mention it is prone to crashing). I don't think it is a good program to suggest to people starting out. Like Womble, it makes some things easy, but it creates its own set of problems.

Back
Top Bottom