• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Movies That Made You Cry

Good bump.

My crying at the movies seems to increase as I get older. In the five years (ah!!) since I made this thread, I've cried during these movies (ordered by volume of tears):

Her
Interstellar
Manchester by the Sea
12 Years a Slave
The Force Awakens
La La Land
Inside Out
Logan
Creed

and that's just off the top of my head (there are surely many more that I'm forgetting).

I was going to list some movies that made me cry because they were so bad, but I assume that joke has been made at least twice in this thread already.

I can honestly say that I did not cry during 12 years a slave, her or The Force Awakens.
I wish.

DominicCobb said:

Yep, me too. The scenes where the Doctor gives Rocky the bad news, Rocky sitting in the graveyard and Rocky struggling up the famous steps, all had my lip wobbling :D . Stallone's best performance by some margin IMO.

Ranked in order of amount of liquid produced by the tear ducts:

Dear Zachary
E.T.
Son of Saul
Osama
Inside Out
Logan
Marley and Me
Anomalisa
The Wrath of Khan
Her
Furious 7
That one scene in Interstellar
The Force Awakens

Honorable mention for Watership Down which traumatised me beyond the point of emotional reasoning or ability to produce tears.

EDIT: Added Furious 7. Spent the whole movie laughing at the absurd action and dialogue, theeeen the last 5-10 minutes happen and the floodgates opened.

I should make a list of movies that don't make me cry. That might be easier.

Recently I got seriously choked up during Logan.

ThrowgnCpr said:
I should make a list of movies that don't make me cry. That might be easier.

Recently I got seriously choked up during Logan.

I can't wait to see Logan Noir. I start to tear up any time I think about those scenes in Logan though, so I dunno if I'll be able to cope with seeing it again.

One of the only movies to ever get me to cry is the 1995 version of The Little Princess. I nearly lose it every time I watch that movie. I remember reading the book later and being disappointed because the ending was completely different.

I can remember first bawling my eyes out as a child to one of the old Lassie films, and E.T of course... I managed to harden up a bit through my teens but I'm worse than ever now..

The last film to really get me was 'Train to Busan' I was a quivering wreck at the end of that at the singing scene, a Korean zombie film reducing me to an emotional wreck was not something I expected!! 

This scene from the Elephant Man stands out above all others for me though, no emotive music just wonderfully acted, impossible to watch without being moved to tears.

Other films that bring a tear to my eye

The Iron Giant (Superman and him reassembling at the end)
Gattaca (The End) The score can reduce me to tears just on its own
Back to the Future (Marty and Doc's embrace 'Everything will be fine' with that stirring Silvestri score just before the storm)
War for the Planet of the Apes (that ending)
Rocky I, Rocky Balboa and Creed 
First Blood (I don't care what anyone says Stallone's acting was great in that final scene)
Chappie (embarrassing but it got me in parts, don't understand the hate for that film)
Philomena
Green Mile/Shawshank (of course)
Midnight Run (the final scene)
Thelma and Louise (probably my favourite movie ending ever)
Spiderman 2 (final scene) my favourite superhero film ever
Into the Wild
Brassed Off
Gallipoli
The Crying Game
Slumdog Millionaire
Toy Story 3
Perfect Sense (very underrated)
Superman (that JW score and Christopher Reeve's passing who could not)
Basically I'm a total wuss :D :blush:

Oh and Indiana Jones and TKOCS for entirely different reasons

I never cry at movies. Normally it's books that get me, for whatever reason ( possibly because my imagination conjures things to the extreme). However, there is the occasional exception.

When I was younger, just about any movie that involved an animal death would make me cry. ( the horse in Neverending Story, for example). But the only modern examples I can think of:

When Marnie was there
I didn't like this the first time I watched it, but the second time I found it really tough to watch the entire film knowing exactly where it was leading. By the end I couldn't contain myself, and I had tears streaming down my face.

Ben Hur
A very recent example, since I only watched this the other day. There's some very emotional scenes, and I really found it an engaging film. But the scene that really got me was when Ben Hur and his love interest ( I'm terrible with names) have their argument outside in the dark, and she's begging him not to pursue revenge. You can really see the conflict in him, and it just got me.

And then to a lesser extent, I welled up during Toy Story 3 ( you know what scene) and I Am Legend 
dog death

Logan, Avengers - Infinity War, Toy Story 3 made me cry like a bitch and Baby Driver made me well up a little bit. I also cried during the Matrix, but that was from unrelated testicular pain

That one episode of Doctor Who, with Van Gogh

Adrift starring Shailene Woodley. I had absolutely no knowledge of the real-life events that inspired the movie, so the twist at the end of the movie really got me. And to rub salt in the wound, we see what actually happened to her boyfriend (within the film's canon, not real-life), and it's so obvious.

I really cannot handle films that deal with people losing their partners. That's my weak spot.

* Terminator 2
* Old Yeller
* Bambi
* The Force Awakens
* Star Trek II: Wrath of Khan
* Land Before Time
* Logan
* Toy Story 3
* Coco

When I was a child, The Bear made me cry. Aurore is the only film I recall crying over as an adult.

Logan. The Doctor Who episodes Vincent and the Doctor, The Girl Who Waited and Amy & Rory's last outing in the series. The majority of Disney/Pixar's best movies would get me teary-eyed sometimes.

The older I get the lower my tear tolerance is. I don't usually sob and heave and get really swept away, but tears will flow for stuff that doesn't even logically make sense to cry at, including most Doctor Who episodes, the Bumblebee trailer, the good episodes of the CW and Netflix superhero shows, Legion, lots of animated movies, it's ridiculous. 

Edit: forgot reality cooking competition shows

Now if I tell my wife an episode of a show is good she'll look at me almost mockingly and ask "did you cry?", And not gonna lie lately the answers usually yes. But man, she's right there crying with me if she watches too, she has no room to mock. We're a mess. I don't know if it's a normal getting old symptom or if it's a new parent thing, lacking sleep or what.

Zamros said:
That one episode of Doctor Who, with Van Gogh

Definitely.  Also Toy Story 3, and An Imitation of Life.  The end of Wrath of Khan gets to me now.  I can't recall having as strong a reaction to anything else.

Welp. I can now add the film adaptation of George Orwell's 1984 to this list.

Watched it for the first time last night and I'm still decompressing.

Back
Top Bottom