• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Movie you haven't seen in awhile that is much better than you remember...

TheFoxMan

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've found myself watching movies from a little while back and thinking "man...even movies that I wasn't blown away by back in the day are so much better than movies that have come out in the last few years." I don't know if it that I'm older and I have different taste, or if legitimately movies have gotten worse, but I find myself having a new appreciation for older movies. (and by older, I don't mean THAT old).

Examples:

The Perfect Storm: Perfectly (no pun intended) fine movie when I first saw it. Saw it in theaters and never really had any desire to watch it again. Just watched it recently and I was riveted the entire movie. Great acting, great story and I questioned why I didn't like it more when I first saw it.

World War Z: I feel like I was initially let down because I had read the book and there were no similarities at all. I also think the Walking Dead was still really good at that time, so I think I was more critical on zombie movies. I remember thinking the ending was anticlimatic because there were all these amazing set pieces and then we are left with this one on one scenario with Brad Pitt and a few zombies in a research facility. Watched it recently and I couldn't believe I ever thought this movie was sub-par. It is an action packed ride from start to finish. I had completely forgotten about the part where the zombie gets loose on the airplane. INTENSE!!

War of the Worlds: Kind of similar to World War Z - I thought the beginning started off strong and then the movie tapered off - maybe now that I'm older I don't need amazing spectacle to be entertained. I used to think the part in the house with Tim Robbins sucked - on recent watch I thought it was really well done.

Everest: Not that old, but kind of a forgotten, not talked about movie. Just watched this last night and I was on edge the entire time. I wanted the climbers to survive even though I already knew the outcome. Really good flick if no one has seen it.

Anyone else had movies they kind of dismissed at first viewing to find a new appreciation later in life???

Nice topic!
I recently saw Red Rock with Nic Cage. I think I saw it a long time ago but didn't really care for it. In fact, my experience with Cage was limited to the likes of The Rock, Face Off, or National Treasure and didn't appreciate him that much in those action/adventure flicks. But when I took the time to watch Red Rock again, I liked it (even if it's filmed like a 90's tv show) And now I'm building a list of Nic Cage movies I want to see.
I'm sure I've seen a lot of movies at the wrong time or in the wrong 'setting'. Some of them are just not aimed at a younger audience, but sometimes it's just because I was not ready or not in the good mood for them. I think its normal to find new meaning when re-watching a movie.
And I'm sure I'll come back to this thread in the future with movies I don't even expect to mention right now!

I recently watched Oblivion. I saw it in the theater back in 2013 with a bunch of friends, was pretty much underwhelmed by it, which rarely happens for me. I thought it was OK but apparently ok wasn't enough for the 21 year old film student me at the time.

Fast forward 11 years: I watch a digital rental of the movie on Apple TV, and I find myself... actually enjoying it. Who knew?! I'm not sure what changed my mind. Maybe it was the decade plus between viewings, but I think it might be one of my favorite Tom Cruise movies now.

I'm probably gonna end up buying the 4K release of it the next time I'm out.

I think Home Alone is one of the few movies that fits this description for me. I loved it as a kid for the antics, but I rewatched it again a year or two ago and it's actually a really well crafted and heartfelt film. I didn't remember the parts with the old man at all, aside from the kid being scared of him, but it was really a beautiful part of the film.

I recently re-watched Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl.
I hadn't seen it since it was new on DVD. I remember really liking it, but never watched it again, or any sequels.

What a fantastic movie! Goes way harder than I remembered & way harder than I expected for ""modern"" Disney!
All of the characters are charming, all of the locations/sets are amazing, all of the stunts/choreography are excellent & the story is just what I'd want it to be.

I remembered it being good, I didn't remember it being perfect.

I recently watched Oblivion. I saw it in the theater back in 2013 with a bunch of friends, was pretty much underwhelmed by it, which rarely happens for me. I thought it was OK but apparently ok wasn't enough for the 21 year old film student me at the time.

Fast forward 11 years: I watch a digital rental of the movie on Apple TV, and I find myself... actually enjoying it. Who knew?! I'm not sure what changed my mind. Maybe it was the decade plus between viewings, but I think it might be one of my favorite Tom Cruise movies now.

I'm probably gonna end up buying the 4K release of it the next time I'm out.
Good one! This same thing happened to me! I didn’t appreciate it at all when I first saw it. Now I think it’s pretty great - and I love the visual of that floating house with the swimming pool and the storm clouds below it!

I hadn't seen it since it was new on DVD. I remember really liking it, but never watched it again, or any sequels.

What a fantastic movie! Goes way harder than I remembered & way harder than I expected for ""modern"" Disney!
All of the characters are charming, all of the locations/sets are amazing, all of the stunts/choreography are excellent & the story is just what I'd want it to be.

This is a great example! I did really enjoy this one when it first came out, but on recent viewing it really wow’d me. It’s amazing what shooting on location, with actual pirate ships and great choreography can do.

Similarly I recently watched the 4th pirates movie. I think I had seen it one time in a movie theater when it came out and had completely forgotten it. I’m not sure if the budget was chopped in half, but it seems like a much smaller scale movie and it benefits from it. Good choreography, cool locations and sets and a pretty good story. I found it very entertaining!

Now the 5th one…not so much!

I watched Die Hard 4.0 again recently and I was thinking "Man this movie is great! I can't remember why it got so much hate! If this was a James Bond movie instead of Die Hard everyone would have loved it!"
And then my wife who had never seen a Die Hard movie until last year said "I don't think this one as good as the others" so i guess my tastes really have gone downhill 😅

Yes. The sequels are such a letdown but the first one was fantastic, watched it somewhat recently with the wife. Great movie, too bad it became a boring franchise.

Side note: shouldn't this thread be in "Movies"?

Have another one I just watched yesterday!

Cowboys and Aliens - another movie that I felt seemed like a good premise from the trailer. Thought it was fine when I saw it in the theater.

Turned it on pretty close to the beginning yesterday - found myself watching it all the way through and it was a really fun movie. I love the style of shooting it like a western and then it becomes a sci-fi movie.

I recently re-watched Oz the Great and Powerful. It’s a movie that I didn't think twice about since 2013 and honestly, completely forgot existed. The only reason I turned it on was because my son was reading The Wizard of Oz for school so we’ve been going through the different Oz adaptions. When we turned on the film, I found myself pleasantly surprised! I thought the story, score, and visuals were very engaging. I really enjoyed it and wouldn’t mind revisiting it again.

Have another one I just watched yesterday!

Cowboys and Aliens - another movie that I felt seemed like a good premise from the trailer. Thought it was fine when I saw it in the theater.

Turned it on pretty close to the beginning yesterday - found myself watching it all the way through and it was a really fun movie. I love the style of shooting it like a western and then it becomes a sci-fi movie.
This is one I definitely need to revisit. Definitely had mixed feelings on this when I first saw it. Thanks for the suggestion!

Back
Top Bottom