• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Mortal Engines - The Story of Hester and Tom

I honestly liked your first take on an intro. That was incredibly engaging, while the text intro with images is fairly dry info dump.
maybe it's too late for my input to be taken into account now, but I felt really inspired when I started reading this topic a short while ago.
I Think your text explanation is a sound idea, but why can't it come after your original intro? You could place it over one of the action scenes showing the wheeled cities riding around?

I only watched this movie once and I could tell there was a lot missing that should have been there. it felt like characters were given 'triumphant moments' that would normally be the culmination of a character arc, but they had not had any arc. I'd be interested in seeing a version of this movie that fixes that.

Ah, I see. That puts it in perspective.

I honestly liked your first take on an intro. That was incredibly engaging, while the text intro with images is fairly dry info dump.
Maybe I'll release a second version of Mortal Engines in the future, featuring my original flashback opening scene. I still like it too, but right now I feel that the world of Mortal Engines is so strange that a movie taking place there needs some world building first.

I Think your text explanation is a sound idea, but why can't it come after your original intro? You could place it over one of the action scenes showing the wheeled cities riding around?
I tried it. I also tried putting the text animation between the flashback intro and the chase scene, but neither of those options work in my opinion.

So when I release a second version, there will be no explanation about why cities are on wheels. The flashback opening scenes will take the audience almost casually into a strange world, hoping they will accept it without really understanding it. In short: a version for a smaller audience. My current version aims at the widest possible audience.

And thanks for your feedback, I really appreciate it :)

Last edited:
No. 3 is my favourite, but would personally make the text "The Story of Hester and Tom" shorter on height as it currently looks stretched vertically.

I was matching it to the 'E' s in the main title, but you may be right. I like #3 & #2.

I was matching it to the 'E' s in the main title, but you may be right. I like #3 & #2.
For me it is the "O" shapes that stand out. Great artwork, only things with 1 and 2 are that these cityscapes of London don't exist in the film, might be a bit confusing!

I really like number 4 in many ways, but the white background doesn't work for me. It would be interesting to see that one with a different background.
all of them are cool anyhow. I agree with ParanoidAndroid, when you made the text fit, it was made narrower but not shorter. If Magician wanted the text to match the main title in size, perhaps you could shrink 'the', 'of' and 'and', enabling 'story', 'hester' and 'tom' to have more space. No idea what your brief was so I'm just spitballing.

I thought that, as well but that seemed to be what the Magician wanted.
Yeah well, I did mention London, but I took it for granted that you saw the movie… my bad. (London is on wheels in the movie)

I did a poster myself in the meantime just as backup…

… but I’ll go for ArtisDead’s poster 4. Too bad it doesn’t feature Tom, which contradicts the subtitle a little, but I like it’s wild aggressiveness, it has a lot of raw Hester in it!

@ArtisDead thanks a lot for all the work you put into it! Could you just do me a favor and make the title bigger and the subtitle smaller? Like in poster 3, but without the horizontal squeezing of the subtitle.

I can. I did realize that the cities were on wheels. I have many cool color pictures of London on wheels. I could have done that. See the pm, Magician.

Nice! Guess you shortened the subtitle to keep it from getting too small? Well, why not. It sounds good. You will just have to put a ' between Tom and S (in short: Tom's).

After that, could you also send me the title (with subtitle) as a transparant PNG? That will enable me to update the trailer.

Thanks again, and I promise these were my last requests ;)

I didn't even notice that I changed the subtitle. I can go back and fix it. That font doesn't have an accent.

I actually like the original, as well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom