• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol - The IMAX Experience

spence

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I made this for my own personal use a while back since seeing this movie in IMAX was one of the most impressive theater experiences I've ever had, and I'm a sucker for IMAX/Open Matte movies. This takes multiple sources, including a German Open Matte HDTV broadcast and the official opening credits by the company that made them, and blends them together to replicate as best as possible what I remember that experience to be.

I don't have access to the 1:43:1 ratio footage, but even opening up from letterbox to 1:85:1 gives the same effect.

Some things I had to do:
- Mask out some spots where German subtitles were hardcoded into the footage. This was harder than it sounds.
- Added the transitions from letterbox to open matte where appropriate (opening credits, Burj climb)

This is about as close to seeing the IMAX version of the film as most people will get. It also perfectly syncs to the blu-ray. I have not included any subtitles or other audio tracks, but any can be used with it and it should all sync perfectly.

Last edited:
Ghost Protocol is up there with my favorites. I think it's gotten lost below the gritty weight of McQuarrie's more serious outings. Mind you, I've been very pleased with those too, I just wish Brad Bird had been given a second crack at it.

Ghost Protocol has the feel of a live action Incredibles movie. It's a ton of fun.

Exactly. All of the skills he developed working with animation transferred over beautifully. It was too bad about Tomorrowland. I don't think anyone could have made something decent of that (though there are flashes of brilliance).

Here are a few previews:

This is the transition from scope to IMAX for the Opening Credits.

And here is the transition on the Dubai climbing scene:

There's a lot of other scenes that are in IMAX, but those are the two that have an active transition. Here's some screenshots from the IMAX portion:

Looks great! I’m planning on rewatching 1, 4-6 in prep for Dead Reckoning, so I think I’ll throw this on for 4!

Looks great! I’m planning on rewatching 1, 4-6 in prep for Dead Reckoning, so I think I’ll throw this on for 4!
Skipping #2 I get, but why no love for J.J. Abrams' feature length adaptation of Alias? :p It's got running, awkward tech briefings, more running, flashbacks, awkward meet-cute social encounters, even more running...What more do you want?

Skipping #2 I get, but why no love for J.J. Abrams' feature length adaptation of Alias? :p It's got running, awkward tech briefings, more running, flashbacks, awkward meet-cute social encounters, even more running...What more do you want?
Actually I think 3 is the worst of em. It’s been awhile since I saw 2 theatrical (I did watch the Spence Edit fairly recently), and I’ve watched almost every Woo movie since, so I’m actually going to add it to my marathon. Thanks for the suggestion!

Originally my marathon was just including ones I found relevant. 1 because of Kitcher and 4-6 because of the new, updated style and recurring characters.

Yeah, I was being cheeky. Number 3 is pretty mediocre. However, if you're looking for continuity of experience, #3 is required viewing for introducing Julia, who makes an appearance in 4 and 6.

Yeah I know, but 3 is just so boring and bad action. At least 2 has the Woo flavor, even if there was trouble in the editing room.

The @spence edit of 2 is essential. Why doesn't anyone like 3? I only remember Phillip Seymour Hoffman but he was very good.
I like 3 a lot. Great villain, killer opening scene, some nice emotional beats. Last 30 minutes are great.

There aren't any bad MI movies, just different flavors of great. It's the most consistent franchise ever.

Why doesn't anyone like 3? I only remember Phillip Seymour Hoffman but he was very good.
Besides Hoffman, I find the film very boring. I don’t care for the flash forward opening, I think the action editing is very bad, and the story just doesn’t grasp my attention.

Besides Hoffman, I find the film very boring. I don’t care for the flash forward opening, I think the action editing is very bad, and the story just doesn’t grasp my attention.
I think the flash forward is pretty genius, personally.

Actually I think 3 is the worst of em. It’s been awhile since I saw 2 theatrical (I did watch the Spence Edit fairly recently), and I’ve watched almost every Woo movie since, so I’m actually going to add it to my marathon. Thanks for the suggestion!

A friend of mine said the same thing to me recently. 2 is the biggest offender for me, then 3.

I'm about to finish a rewatch but now this is going to force me to go back and look at this one. lol Can't wait!

I recently rewatched 2 and it rocks. The first three films are very much more the director’s films stylistically rather than part of a franchise. It’s De Palma making a spy thriller, John Woo making a kickass action film, and JJ Abrams doing… something. Then from 4 on the franchise really creates it’s own atmosphere and standards of how a MI film should be.

3 is JJ doing what he does best: vaguely setting something up with a general story and style and then letting someone else fill in the blanks later

Back
Top Bottom