• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Matrix Revolutions: The Epic Edition

Wow, this sounds very promising. Congrats on getting it approved geminigod. It's a great feeling when you get that first approval, isn't it? ;)

Considering these are two movies I never really cared for, I'm actually looking forward to seeing your edit to see if it can change my mind. Again, well done.

Geminigod,

Much much better than the originals. First I want to say that it is technically near flawless.

What I like:
1. With the new Oracle being brought in quicker, it does flow with the movie quite a bit more
2. The dance sequence is there, but cut to bare minimum so that it makes sense and the audience can stand it
3. Glad to see Smith not being able to come out of the Matrix and getting rid of Neo having powers out of the matrix.

My one compliant:
I have never been a fan of the first Neo vs Smith fight (CGI wise it's horrid and it runs too long) ..... so personally I would have went directly from the Oracle talking to the Merovingian's place. I think cutting this action sequence also makes the action Sequence at the Merovingian's Manor and the Car chase better.

Iffy about:
1. I have never been a fan of the original ending, always felt it should have ended at Morpheus's scene.
2. I do agree that there is technical end to Neo and Trinity's part in the movie and that feels missing.

Definite 8/10

revel911 said:
My one compliant:
I have never been a fan of the first Neo vs Smith fight (CGI wise it's horrid and it runs too long) ..... so personally I would have went directly from the Oracle talking to the Merovingian's place. I think cutting this action sequence also makes the action Sequence at the Merovingian's Manor and the Car chase better.

I watched this partially earlier too and the same thing almost crossed my mind, except for the fact that up to this point Neo doesn't know he's back (earpiece might've been a bit a vague clue) and at the very least he doesn't know that he's been able to replicate himself.

I did enjoy the edit but I feel the action sequences still could've trimmed a few bits here and there. And I've always liked how other edits have used the dance as a Victory sequence.

Message to the users who made reviews for this fanedit (and all fanedits in general):
please also post them on the fanedit's page.
http://fanedit.org/13852/

Omaru1982 said:
I watched this partially earlier too and the same thing almost crossed my mind, except for the fact that up to this point Neo doesn't know he's back (earpiece might've been a bit a vague clue) and at the very least he doesn't know that he's been able to replicate himself.

I did enjoy the edit but I feel the action sequences still could've trimmed a few bits here and there. And I've always liked how other edits have used the dance as a Victory sequence.

Does he have to know this way? He has been previewed of replicating after Neo flies away. He has two flashbacks of him replicating and most of all, the multiple Neo's attack Morpheus and Neo in the hall. I think you can lose the outside fight scene and it becomes much more about the Oracle sending you on your path.

TMBTM said:
Message to the users who made reviews for this fanedit (and all fanedits in general):
please also post them on the fanedit's page.
http://fanedit.org/13852/

Is there a way to edit that post ..... Accidently kept my forum tags in

For more in-depth thoughts regarding the dance scene and the burly brawl, you can flip to the commentary track on the movie at those parts.

Suffice it to say that in this editor's opinion the story would suffer if the burly brawl were removed, especially if someone has never seen the original movies before. (I believe it is always best to try to think about fanedits from this perspective.) Everything hinges on the rise of Agent Smith moving forward with a certain logical progression and pace. Also I very much wanted Neo to come to his own conclusions about what actions need to be taken rather than just following orders of the Oracle. This was one thing the original versions got right, even though it played out in a convoluted, absurd way.

I removed the most offensive parts of that scene, but I agree there are still a couple shots remaining where the CG isn't perfect or you can tell that it is the stunt double if you look closely. I might have been able to trim it down a little more, but I am personally able to overlook those shots due to my awe over the rest of the amazing technical work the Wachowski brothers achieved in this scene. I liken it to watching less-than-perfect effects on Star Wars ANH. The effects were cutting-edge for their time. Think about everything going on with that scene. It is pretty crazy. From the perspective of the Wachowski brothers having to create that scene, what is most amazing is that the majority of it actually looks good!

At the end of the day, if I have to choose between story or a couple less-than-perfect looking shots, story will win every time.

LastSurvivor said:
Considering these are two movies I never really cared for, I'm actually looking forward to seeing your edit to see if it can change my mind. Again, well done.

I hope you enjoy, LastSurvivor. I am starting to gather from the feedback I am getting that those who are most enjoying this edit are those who least enjoyed the original. It is definitely a very different storyline that remains more true to the universe as established in Matrix 1.

revel911 said:
Does he have to know this way? He has been previewed of replicating after Neo flies away. He has two flashbacks of him replicating and most of all, the multiple Neo's attack Morpheus and Neo in the hall. I think you can lose the outside fight scene and it becomes much more about the Oracle sending you on your path.

sorry I misinterpreted, I thought you were referring to the Burly Brawl, not the final 'DBZ style one'

THIS REVIEW CONTAINS SPOILERS

I am a huge fan of the matrix movies. The Matrix might have even be the first movie I ever saw on DVD. I eagerly anticipated the sequels and while I was definitely wowed by parts of Reloaded and Revolutions I was ultimately left feeling unsatisfied.

The idea of fanedits of the matrix sequels had always intrigued me. The Matrix Revolutions: The Epic Edition is the first Matrix fanedit I have ever viewed. (Guilty as charged of having the avi of Matrix Dezionized sitting on my harddrive unwatched for over a year). Overrall I was extremely impressed with this fanedit.

VIDEO: 10/10 Excellent picture quality. I watched the edit this past weekend while house sitting for my parents who, now retired, indulged themselves and bought a gigantic widescreen hd tv. The picture looked great on a big screen.

AUDIO: 10/10 No pops or audio drop outs or anything. Seamless audio. Great work.

MENUS: Simple nice looking menu design.

EXTRAS: In the Beginning and The Prologue were a nice refresher. It had been awhile since I had watched any of the Animatrix stuff

THE EDIT:

I didn't read the cutlist or read about any of the changes that were made in this edit before hand. There were some nice small cuts here and there made to The Merovingian scene (before the highway chase). And only as I write this review am I realizing some of the little things that were taken out. So nicely done on trimming the excess fat there.

I was pleasantly surprised to see the removal of The Architect scene with Neo. One of the most ridiculous expository scenes in movie history (Will Ferrell did a great spoof of it for one of the MTV Movie Awards). But suffice it to say I really didn't like that scene in Reloaded and I'm glad it was removed.

Thank you for removing the "I love you too damn much" line (makes me want to puke everytime!)

The Reloaded and Revolutions were "bridged"/connected was creatively done and, in my humble opinion, it worked perfectly.

Managing to remove Smith taking form of one of the unplugged guys (i forget the character's name), trying to sabotage the humans, blinding Neo with the ray gun etc. I always disliked this part and felt Smith should not be part of the real world in the movie and only be in the matrix, that was just my personal preference. And along the same lines I think it was a good choice to take out the scenes where Neo's "powers" spill over into the real world (i.e. being able to stop the sentinels with his mind).

For the few nitpicky, "i would have kept this/removed this" stuff. This is just constructive criticism and only my personal opinion, im sure others may disagree. But at first i was kinda bummed out that you cut the line "where's my puss- heeey!" when he comes back to zion and enters his apartment. I definitely laughed in theaters during that scene. And Link is a bit of comedic relief in the movie. But thats just my opinion.

I'll have to rewatch my Matrix Reloaded DVD to see what Neo actually says but in the edit when Neo says "sorry i took so long, i know you wont understand this i need to take one of the ships" Morpehus asks where and Neo says "the matrix" and it looks off. The audio and Neo's mouth looks out of sync. I realize you must have done some editing to that scene and used previous audio of Neo saying "the matrix" and inserted it in this scene. I sympathize as Im sure it is a tough editing job to replace dialogue like that and make it look good, but it did stick out a bit.

I won't go as far as to say Matrix Revolutions: The Epic Edition will replace my copies of Reloaded and Revolutions just yet. I think I will have to watch some of the other Matrix fanedits before making that decision. But I definitely enjoyed this edit far more than the theatrical versions of reloaded and revolutions! In some point in the future, I plan on watching with geminigod's commentary.

RATING 9/10

Great fanedit. I know a ton of work and planning was involved in this edit. So if you do decide to do another fanedit in the future, I will definitely be watching.

Thanks for the nice review Gatos. I would be curious to hear your thoughts after you have watched some of the other edits. Honestly, it has been so long since I watched the other edits that I am a little fuzzy on the specifics for comparison. Needless to say what I do remember is that none of them worked for me. :)

For those who have watched: Don't forget to rate the movie!

Any idea on when the blu-ray version will be released? I've been meaning to start my edit of the Matrix sequels once I get my extended edtion of Avatar finished (I've been very lazy lately), and really don't even know what I'm going to being doing with it beyond what I did in an edit years ago. Perhaps watching someone else's take will get the juices flowing.

Kevinicus said:
Any idea on when the blu-ray version will be released?

The blu-ray encode is done, but I have been a little lazy in previewing it (a man can only watch his own edit so many times!) and getting it uploaded. Assuming there were no further encoding problems, I'll see if I can't get it up in time for next week's updates.

Here is a screenshot comparison of original frames and filtered frames for the blu-ray encode being released soon (warning: the images may be mild spoilers). These images probably won't look very different to the average eye here in this still form, but it is pretty significant with an HD video clip comparison. When in motion the grain noise really compounds for me. For some movies I can live with a bit of grain, but for a movie like the Matrix the video should be clean and smooth with as much detail as possible. That is what I have attempted to do.

It is most noticeable in certain scenes such as the freeway chase. The downside is there are a couple places where new undesirable artifacts have been introduced via the filtering process. In future edits I would probably do any filtering at the beginning of my workflow instead of the end and possibly limit it to only specific scenes instead of trying to find one universal filter solution for the entire movie. Live and learn. Long story short: The overall video quality on this blu-ray encode is smoother and cleaner than the studio blu-ray source while still also very sharp in detail.

Here are some comparison images. These images are too small to be able to discern much difference, but if you want to look more closely you can right-click on the images and copy the image link to download to your computer:

Original
yuy48a
yuy48a
yuy48a

Filtered
fwh3t5

Original
558vvu

Filtered
xxsk8x
xxsk8x

Original
a7rnrb

Filtered
qa5z5o

Good job on the filtered images I must say. However, I am more old school and want a film to look like a film. I don't like it when a movie has been applied with the dreaded DNR and the results come off a little fake and plastic looking. I totally understand your reasoning, but I prefer the original. Just my 2 cents! ;-)

There is definitely an inevitable tradeoff where too much smoothing starts to make things look like plastic, and not all denoising filters are made equal. Some are downright shite. As with most things video related, I have found the proprietary filters to be far inferior to open source ones.

Colors seem truer in the filtered pics, less tinting and more natural. good job! :)

I can't download Part 79 for the DL DVD. Any help?

EDIT:

And it's working now. I don't know what happened, but i would like to thank god for the moment.

That was quite a ride... Definitely the best version of Burly Brawl here! Thanks for getting rid of Neo Smith-surfing and the bowling noises. Great cuts throughout the highway scene and Merovingian. Shorter and to the point, though I was hoping you'd cut slightly the pinned-to-the-wall guy in the henchmen scene... The way how he tries to struggle free with a fake effort has always ruined the scene for me.

I did not see the source thing coming, but it makes a lot of sense. Also, as I'm used to watching deZIONized, there was still an inordinate amount of Zion for me, but much better than the original. Despite the improvements, I still couldn't care for Zion's last stand and final Smith-fight, but your take makes me wonder whether the saga could be wrapped up right then and there at the source somehow.

The ending... I still prefer deZIONized in this regard. Leaving the fate of Morpheus up to interpretation works a lot better than doing the same for Trinity, I think.

Back
Top Bottom