• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

matching different audio sources

daedal

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
How to match more closely audio from a source that is 5 years old with one that is 40 years old? is it possible or warranted?

I am contemplating various project ideas and would like to use more than one movie for my next edit. By analyzing my options, I noticed that I will encounter some issues regarding the audio of different sources. Some older movies have what I would describe as thinner audio when it comes to dialogues. Sometimes they are noisier too. More recent movies have richer, deeper even boomier audio.
For my personal taste, I would glance over it, but I'm sure that something can be done to bring them closer.

I'm looking for tutorials, but I feel like I'm going to search for days before I find one to help me. It feels insurmountable because I don't know the proper words to describe a technique I'm not even sure exists.

How do you solve such problems when you are working with multiple movies?

Izotope ozone, turn the maximizer off for film audio. only use it for music mastering.

Last edited:
What I would do, assuming I have multiple source audios in surround is pick the one I wish to use as a reference one, and then measure the ITU BS.1770 loudness of centre channel only, for each movie. I would do this in Adobe Audition for example.
From there, dot down the values it would take for them to match, and apply that value to the whole surround track with all channels, to match the reference one.
The ITU loudness will match the perceived loudness of each track, and normalise according to that calculation. It would not be the same as for example measuring the max peaks and normalise according to that, which would be a wrong way to go, in my opinion, and in experience.

Izotope ozone, turn the maximizer off for film audio only use it for music.
Cool I'll check this out. can you tell me why it would not work for dialogues?
What I would do, assuming I have multiple source audios in surround is pick the one I wish to use as a reference one, and then measure the ITU BS.1770 loudness of centre channel only, for each movie. I would do this in Adobe Audition for example.
From there, dot down the values it would take for them to match, and apply that value to the whole surround track with all channels, to match the reference one.
The ITU loudness will match the perceived loudness of each track, and normalise according to that calculation. It would not be the same as for example measuring the max peaks and normalise according to that, which would be a wrong way to go, in my opinion, and in experience.
OK thanks! those are audio concepts I am not familiar with. I'll have to investigate on the matter. When you say, ''dot down the values'' do you mean finding the difference between the two and raise the lower one (given the louder one is my reference) ?

By doting down the values, I meant making a note of the difference in decibels that would take to bring lower one to level of the louder, if the louder is the one you use for reference. If you happen to consider adobe audition, for this, the match loudness will clearly show you how many decibels it took to change the track. It will match it to selected level of LUFS, but it will tell you what it did.

So let us say you pulled centre channel into separate mono track from both of your sources. Then you import both monos into Match Loudness panel and analyse. It will tell you the LUFS level for both. You then choose to level the lower one to the LUFS level of the louder one. When it's done it will clearly tell you how much is the difference. From there you just make a note or memorise the difference, and apply that to the whole 5.1 track of the lower one. That should bring both tracks to the level where percieved loudness will be matched, based on the dialogue channel. Of course the rest of the soundtrack in surround might make one or the other louder in certain scenes, but that is supposed to be the case, as mixes can differ. The important thing for me at least is that I do not feel like dialogue does not sound on the same level.

If you would like, I can level up those tracks for you tonight, if I have enough time left, or tomorrow, if that would help and save you some time. At this point I think I would be doing it eyes closed, so it's kinda meh for me...

thank you very much! this is useful and clear enough I think, for me to try it by myself. I'll remember your kind offer if something goes wrong or if I have other questions. But It's the kind of thing I wish to learn to do by myself.
Thanks again!

Reactions: Mnm
I'm sorry, I must have misread you. Izotope ozone, I'll definitely try it.

Back
Top Bottom