• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Man Of Steel: The Tempered Cut

DSM2337 said:
The colour grading work in this is amazing. I didn't play with colours on my edit (being my first one, I didn't want to over complicate my goals), but after seeing this I'm wondering if I missed a trick.

I would love for you to go back if possible and as Masirmso17 mentioned recolor, but in a more natural sense. Something like what they did, but about 20% less. You have a great edit, I just feel that the "Superman-ness" could be more brought out if a bit less desaturated.

revel911 said:
I would love for you to go back if possible and as Masirmso17 mentioned recolor, but in a more natural sense. Something like what they did, but about 20% less. You have a great edit, I just feel that the "Superman-ness" could be more brought out if a bit less desaturated.
Thanks for the positive comments. I'm neck deep in a Pirates edit at the moment, and I'll be playing with some colour grading on that, I have to because the two films I'm merging have different palettes, so after that practice I might just go back to MOS.

^YES! [MENTION=24292]TM2YC[/MENTION] THANK YOU! Finally someone understands that the grading looks horrible...
I've seen this posted on Oliver Harper's Retrospective Reviews on facebook and everyone loved it... :oops:
We've discussed MOS grading in another thread before and we were on the mark there. This is way off.

Yes, it's a bit too colourful, but the theatrical version is way too grey/desaturated, something inbetween would be great.

NewSpock said:
Yes, it's a bit too colourful, but the theatrical version is way too grey/desaturated, something inbetween would be great.
Not only is it too saturated, but the colour grading is OFF. Skin tones look orange, the blue in Superman's suit still doesn't look anything like the set pictures, Zod looks like an orange with a dark blue suit and Amy Adams looks plain ugly in the Daily Planet scene where she's smiling. Shadow highlights are too high there, they accentuate stuff you shouldn't. The sky looks like it could use some improvement as well.

There's a reason I colour graded the shots of the sky in Superman Returns separately from the scenes in the sky where there are planes in view, or Superman himself, or parts of debris, fire, etc... Blue is blue, and blue with loads of red, grey and orange in it doesn't look blue at all. Sometimes you're in luck and you can make the whole scene look good with one grading preset, and sometimes you're going to have to do it the hard way and split it up in a few shots that can be grouped and graded separately.

Kal-El said:
Not only is it too saturated, but the colour grading is OFF. Skin tones look orange, the blue in Superman's suit still doesn't look anything like the set pictures, Zod looks like an orange with a dark blue suit and Amy Adams looks plain ugly in the Daily Planet scene where she's smiling. Shadow highlights are too high there, they accentuate stuff you shouldn't. The sky looks like it could use some improvement as well.

There's a reason I colour graded the shots of the sky in Superman Returns separately from the scenes in the sky where there are planes in view, or Superman himself, or parts of debris, fire, etc... Blue is blue, and blue with loads of red, grey and orange in it doesn't look blue at all. Sometimes you're in luck and you can make the whole scene look good with one grading preset, and sometimes you're going to have to do it the hard way and split it up in a few shots that can be grouped and graded separately.

Well I guess, when you have finished Superman Returns, you can work your grading-skills on Man of Steel to do it the right way.:)

Yeah I noticed the purple beams the first (and only) time I watched it. Amateurs. A shame when an inferior product gets all the attention, when better work has been done already and the general public has no idea.

They've now added a long apology to the bottom of the video :D

we won't defend the color grading because we know it isn't good

we have some regrets. Using the term "restoration"

Hi, everybody. We wanted to quickly thank everyone for their support of our video, as well as make a few important points regarding its reception.

When we watched our colorized shots from the film with Hans Zimmer's powerful score, it gave us chills. Our intention was to share that love with maybe 10,000 like-minded Superman fans. Instead, the video went viral.

When a video goes viral, we tend to assume some maliciousness on part of the creator, as if it was a perfectly executed social networking master plan of self-promotion. The truth is that viral videos only happen one way -- by accident. There's no formula or everyone would do it. A perfect storm of 7-8 unlikely things propelled this video way beyond its intended sphere of influence.

Man of Steel is a very dark movie and the footage you see is actually 90% genuine but, at the end of the day, this is a comedy video and no one should be taking it so seriously. If the title didn't give it away, the fact we stop our comparisons every 5 seconds for a dumb joke should have. It's not a lesson on color grading. It's not a hit piece against DC. It's not, 'Look at us, we 'fixed' the movie." It's not an insider expose on the inner workings of corporate filmmaking.

It's a 3 minute youtube video intended to get a few laughs and maybe shed some light on the importance of color grading for those outside of film & video production. We also think it makes some important points about Superman and Man of Steel.

We're video editors and motion graphics designers, not professional film colorists. We stand by the editing, graphics, & points we make as being pretty solid for something that largely came together in a couple days. However, we won't defend the color grading because we know it isn't good. We're amateur colorists and it's impossible to put back color once it's gone. It's just an approximation. Plus, a film isn't just a collection of pretty shots, it's is a 2-hour experience and decisions like tone & color grading should only be considered in that context.

Given the widespread distribution of the video, we have some regrets. Using the term "restoration" implies there was something wrong with the film, which is unfair. We also deeply regret if the video offended anyone involved in the production of these films because we love DC movies and will be first in line for every single one of their upcoming films. We just hope they have more color.

The video received exponentially more attention than it probably deserved and was not designed to stand up to the level of scrutiny it is receiving. When you put a video on the internet, that is your choice. We both deserve and invite the criticism along with the goodwill. However, no one in their right mind would ever anticipate their fist youtube video getting a million views in one day.

Don't mistake a goofy entertainment video for something more. It's a silly and slightly misleading opinion piece that's being analyzed through a lens of legitimacy it does not deserve or warrant. The fact that this video is so popular should serve as a testament to Man of Steel, not to us.

It's a great time to be alive for comic fans. No one wants these movies to be great more than us and DC has some incredible things in store for us over the next few years.

Hahahahahahahahahaha.....
My God, seriously??
Talk about trying to turn the blame away from yourself.

DSM2337 said:
DM if you'd like a dlc, it isn't listed elsewhere yet (pending).

I hope the time between a post on .org .and the availability of a dlc (for those who own the original source, mind you) will be as short as possible, otherwise teasing with fanedits not actually available is kinda unnerving :p

BillyG said:
I hope the time between a post on .org .and the availability of a dlc (for those who own the original source, mind you) will be as short as possible, otherwise teasing with fanedits not actually available is kinda unnerving :p
.info still hasn't listed it, I sent in the details before it was listed on FEDB. I'm sure they'll get around to it when they can.

Until then, send me a private message if you want the DLCs.

It transpires that my splitting of the files has caused some problems for a few people. My apologies.

I've redone the split, hopefully in a more JDownloader friendly way (other brands are available).

So new DLCs available for DVD (5Gb), MOV (10Gb) and BR (18Gb). PM me if you would like them.

BillyG said:
Thanks for the DLC, any half-decent packer should be able to assemble .001 and so on files. I filed a feature request / bug report in the jdownloader forum, feel free to +1 it so it gets fixed faster (or at all): https://board.jdownloader.org/showthread.php?t=63863
Thanks. As said, JDownloader is asking for a password even though I never set one. But if you use 7zip or WinRAR or something similar then no password required. And it is now on .info. Yay!

Really excited to check this out and compare/contrast with Snyder's version! I really liked the comprehensive list of changes, allowed to grasp what you are going for. Looking forward to watching and providing a review.

I became aware a short while back (while sound mixing my Pirates edit) that I made a small boo-boo when mixing the sound for this Man Of Steel edit. Long story short, I crossed the streams (dialogue and sub) so the resulting output always felt a little, conflicted.

Whilst making the correction I decided to make a small editorial change too. The drone scene that played after the defeat of Zod has now been moved to a mid-credit scene. I believe someone else did this with their edit, so I borrowed the idea 'cause I liked it so much, however I can't recall who it was, so thank you mystery editor, whoever you are.

I did send the revisions to the usual place a while back, and I'm happy to see it is these versions on the new site, so if anyone was downloading for keepsies, you may want to go get 'em again.

Back
Top Bottom