• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Making my own names and posters for other people's edits

gleem

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Is this something anyone else does? When I find a cool looking edit but it has a name that doesn't sound real or uses fan art for the poster I'll make a whole new name and poster just so it looks official in my collection. I want to post them for other people to use because I'm really proud of them but I'm worried some people might see it as disrespectful to rebrand someone else's edit

Shit I just love making posters. If anyone wants a poster made for their edit just ask! I've made like 20 of them for my collected edits just for fun. I'll post them if you guys want to see them

Out of curiosity - any examples?

I guess making posters is fine, I'd be happy to see one for any of my edits but changing titles, well, that's different thing and certainly may be seen as disrespectful.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity - any examples?

I guess making posters is fine, I'd be happy to see one for any of my edits but changing titles, well, that's different thing and certainly may be seen as disrespectful.

Looking back I only ever renamed three of them. The first was the Superman 3 Ultimate Lester Cut which I only renamed because in my collection there was no Superman 2, only Superman The Epic Cut. I called that Superman vs The Computer. The other was The Spider-Man 3 Bilups Cut which I only renamed because I kept forgetting what it changed. I called that the Antivenom Cut. The last one was Triggered Puppy's HBO Watchmen edit which I titled Watchmen: Nothing Ever Ends based on the first ads for the show. Oh and I also renamed Wakeupkeo's Blade Runner Black Lotus to Blade Runner 2032: Black Lotus so that it fits in with my collection of Blade Runner 2049 prequels.

The other times I made posters for edits that weren't my own were for edits that didn't have posters like Superman Lives, Berserk Anti-Cheese Cuts, and The Walking Dead Abridged. And then a couple other of them are for edits that are multi-part but don't have unique posters for each part like Northwest Passage and Wraith's Picard duology

Here's the album:

I would be very careful with this. Best thing to do is reach out to the editor and work it out. There are a couple there that may not cause the best reaction.

I think most of your art displays style and pizazz. Keep up the good work. I do a lot of the posters here. We are all editing someone else's work whether it be the actual edit or the art. However, it's much better optics to respect the editor and get their permission before posting your interpretation of their art publicly.

I recommend that when you see an "in the works" project that catches your attention, reach out to the editor. I learned the hard way to not post anything publicly until you have shared it with the editor first. That being said, you should reach out to those editors whose art you just posted.

I would be very careful with this. Best thing to do is reach out to the editor and work it out. There are a couple there that may not cause the best reaction.

I think most of your art displays style and pizazz. Keep up the good work. I do a lot of the posters here. We are all editing someone else's work whether it be the actual edit or the art. However, it's much better optics to respect the editor and get their permission before posting your interpretation of their art publicly.

I recommend that when you see an "in the works" project that catches your attention, reach out to the editor. I learned the hard way to not post anything publicly until you have shared it with the editor first. That being said, you should reach out to those editors whose art you just posted.
I feel like I should specify that I NEVER share this unless I'm like directly sending it to the creator as fan art because thats what this is: fan art. This is all just art that I make for myself for my personal collection. I don't share my library with anyone, and I for sure would never try to pass anything off as my own. Dear God no.

God this is embarrassing. I thought I would just share how I like to make my own posters for my favorite edits but it sounded like I was rebranding them and taking credit.

I do this with my steam game library too, this is just what I do for fun. I make new posters for my favorite games and sometimes I even rebrand them like making Bulletstorm a Duke Nukem game making and Superhot: Mind Control Delete into Superhot 2 https://www.steamgriddb.com/profile/76561198081596330

Last edited:
God this is embarrassing. I thought I would just share how I like to make my own posters for my favorite edits but it sounded like I was rebranding them and taking credit
Nah. I don't see it as you taking credit at all. Making your own posters is your business. You do what you do. As long as it's for your own entertainment, it's all fanart in my eyes anyway. But yeah, I'd reach out to those editors who you already have shown. Personally I'd be flattered!

Nah. I don't see it as you taking credit at all. Making your own posters is your business. You do what you do. As long as it's for your own entertainment, it's all fanart in my eyes anyway. But yeah, I'd reach out to those editors who you already have shown. Personally I'd be flattered!
Exactly, very well put, Agatha!

I love your Watchmen poster! And most of the others, as well. As @Gibichung (I says, Agatha) said, You can do whatever you like for your private collection. Don't stop. You are obviously very talented!

@gleem the majority of the posters you submitted to the gallery were not accepted because they are not representative of the IFDb edits.

I love your Watchmen poster! And most of the others, as well. As @Gibichung (I says, Agatha) said, You can do whatever you like for your private collection. Don't stop. You are obviously very talented!
yeah I added them because I was about to post them on here and that was because I thought imgur image inserts are broken but then I thought I should probably post it in an imgur gallery so the post isn’t a mile long

Back
Top Bottom