• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Lucas' Original Prequel Plan

I'd almost forgotten about the hover chair. The plot thickens. Only not in an interesting way.

theslime said:
I'd almost forgotten about the hover chair. The plot thickens. Only not in an interesting way.

nah, the plot doesn't thicken. Bat-shit-crazy-Lucas isn't to be paid any attention after the 1980s.

theslime said:
and we sure as hell don't need a Yoda who fakes a disability. (Is that some kind of Jedi trick? Why not a wheelchair while he's at it.)

Trick it is not! Handicapped parking privileges he receives in the Jedi Temple speeder garage, mmm?

TMBTM said:
Luke is searching for what he thinks is a great warrior, but Yoda tells him that "war not make one great".
According to Yoda a Jedi never uses his power for attack.

true, mask. i went back and listened/watched the scene in which ben tells luke to go to the dayglo-boss system; he says "the master who taught me," not the "warrior who. . . ." in the end, though, yoda's prior warrior status is neither explicitly negated nor affirmed.

re: jedis not attacking, perhaps that's one of those yoda-ish bits of advice that falls into the "do as i say, but not as i once did" category? :oops:

re: lucas's batshit idea of having yoda fight with a saber, couldn't yoda have been so effing powerful that he was beyond light sabers, beyond casting lightning from fingertips (a dark power anyway), that all he had to do was cause an artery to burst inside his opponent's head? not necessarily very cinematic, but it would get the job done.

Yeah, I think we can all agree that, even without being a "great warrior", Yoda could have use the Force against ennemies in a "wise" way without a lightsaber.
Though I don't mind the little scene when he kills a clonetrooper during order 66, with a ligthsaber, because he have to react quickly, it's for defence, it's against an ennemy who does not use the Force and it's a scene that serve the purpose that HE is more powerful than the other Jedi, who did not feel the danger comming.

ssj said:
re: lucas's batshit idea of having yoda fight with a saber, couldn't yoda have been so effing powerful that he was beyond light sabers, beyond casting lightning from fingertips (a dark power anyway), that all he had to do was cause an artery to burst inside his opponent's head? not necessarily very cinematic, but it would get the job done.

This is how I always imagined yoda. Why would he need to jump around like a crazy person. As one of the most powerful jedis, I envisioned him relying much more on the Force, and less on brute strength and swordsmanship.

ThrowgnCpr said:
This is how I always imagined yoda. Why would he need to jump around like a crazy person. As one of the most powerful jedis, I envisioned him relying much more on the Force, and less on brute strength and swordsmanship.

If he can pick up a whole effing spaceship with his force powers, couldn't he easily send light sabers shooting around like arrows? Say, that reminds me of a slasher flick I once saw, can't remember which one...

ThrowgnCpr said:

supreme example of CGI directing (sapping?) creativity.

just for fun:

yoda being so powerful that he uses the force to keep an air bubble coherent in space; uses said bubble to transfer himself from planet to planet. no need for metal vehicles.

but i always felt he was too noble to use mind tricks to pick up chicks, whatever their species. he'd allow himself to fail or succeed based on his regular social/pick-up skills. obviously didn't work out so well later in life, though maybe he just needed some "me" time.

I think it would have been funny if Count Dooku was all ready to start a lightsaber fight, and Yoda just calmly picked some rocks up off the ground with his mind and threw them at Dooku's head.

Wow you could see the different viewpoints of these two folks. I would had liked to see the Jedi turning their back on Anakin thought.
Too bad the prequels where too much blah blah blah.

TomH1138 said:
I think it would have been funny if Count Dooku was all ready to start a lightsaber fight, and Yoda just calmly picked some rocks up off the ground with his mind and threw them at Dooku's head.

Yoda should just be able to use the force to give people a brain hemorrhage. Head splode!

geminigod said:
Yoda should just be able to use the force to give people a brain hemorrhage. Head splode!

Hmm, might be a path to the dark side, yes?

Get me wrong do not, though. Very funny idea it is. Mmm hmm hmm!

Digging up an old thread about the Prequels story that ends up micro-focusing on Street Fightin' Yoda is just too rich not to do it....

ssj said:
the idea of yoda once being a warrior and later settling down for a teaching/guru gig—this works better than the idea of yoda teaching jedi but not having the real life experience to inform his teachings.

in episplode 5, there's mention of yoda being (or having been) a great warrior. no way to unwrite that, though that doesn't mean we should see him fight in the prequels, either.

i just don't get the sense that yoda was merely 1) versed in buddhist wisdom and 2) a drill sergeant for telekinesis. he was once a BAMF warrior, but he's now retired because of age [and/or a sex scandal at the academy].

In my opinion, this is exactly what Lucas was implying.  Don't forget that Yoda and Vader and the Jedi and Sith were very much based on old Asian influences.  Vader's costume is based on samurai armor, Yoda uses Japanese grammar and is actually a Japanese name, the Jedi Temple is basically Shaolin Temple, replete with monks who go renegade (Sith) because they want to rush their training.  "My style is clearly superior to your style!"  "No, your style is weak, old man!"

Picture Yoda as an aged samurai who has achieved a high rank and many followers.  He now has his own dojo, and students come from far and wide to learn his techniques.  Does he run off to fight in wars and seek righteous glory as he would have done years ago?  No.  But if war came to his kingdom, could he take up arms and put down a mighty whoopin despite his age?  Oh you best believe.

We forget that back in '81, there was no defined "Council-Master-Padawan" heirarchy on screen.  We didn't have an association between lightsaber colors changing as you 'went up a level' as a Jedi.  What Lucas was saying could essentially just have been acknowledging that the "Jedi" as we think of them were out there being keepers of the peace.  But the true masters, those on the council, would just be back at the temple, conducting classes and dispensing wisdom.  In that sense, someone like Qui-Gonn would've been a "warrior" whereas Yoda would not.

theslime said:
Also, keep in mind that he's really old both in the PT and the OT, unlike, say, Obi-Wan, who clearly aged a lot in both his appearance and fighting style. Yoda walks around with a freakin' CANE even in the PT, although he obviously doesn't need it (lying bastard). I'm fine with imagining a younger, less scruffy-looking Yoda without a cane, at say 300 years of age (or younger). The 300 year old Yoda could be Sonic, I don't care. But an elderly dwarf with a cane should simply not jump around. It's Lucas trying to have it both ways, he didn't want a younger-looking Yoda because that would be alienating but he wanted the fighter all the same. I call bollocks.

TMBTM said:
theslime said:
and we sure as hell don't need a Yoda who fakes a disability.

I think I can already hear Lucas answer to that:
"You know, theslime. In fact Yoda is indeed old and need a cane to walk. His body is not what it used to be. BUT when, and ONLY when he needs to use his power, then the Force flows into his body and he jumps around like a frog."

(Yeah, I'm good at playing the devil's advocate.)

I think Lucas' reversal on this definitely follows TMBTM's explanation.  It's almost a trope: the old warrior/adventurer who summons up the energy for one last stand.  Just because Yoda is no longer a fighter doesn't mean he's incapable of fighting if required to.  It would just take a lot out of him (similar to fighters in the UFC...those vets don't have as much energy, but they hit hard.)

Fun debate, guys.  Geeks unite.

Back
Top Bottom