• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Looper

ThrowgnCpr said:
what exactly is a guy flick anyway? ASPLOSIONS AND BOOBS? I don't think Adjustment Bureau was trying to disguise anything. It was a good film, whether or not it has a romantic theme pinning it together. And comparing this to Twilight is just insulting.

I didn't mean anything extreme by "guy flick", I just meant a good action film. It doesn't have a romantic theme pinning it together, the whole point of the film is that their love is strong enough to a)get them together despite the forces against them, and b)keep them together despite the forces against them. If that doesn't spell out chick flick to you then I don't know what does.

I just watched the trailer again and you're right. It doesn't exactly disguise the fact that there's a romantic angle, but they add in this mysterious group and some semi sci-fi-ish stuff that makes it look kinda cool, but deep down all it is a movie about finding your true love and doing everything you can to find and hold on to her. It's like it's 90% chick flick and 10% guy flick.

And I wasn't comparing it to Twilight, I was merely saying that advertising The Adjustment Bureau as anything but a chick flick would like advertising Twilight as a bad ass vampire movie. I was comparing advertising techniques, not the films themselves.

I'm sorry, I'm not trying to start anything here I'm just trying to prove my point.

Way to derail the thread Frantic :p ;)

I saw this just today actually.

Oddly enough, when I first saw the trailer, I had very bizarre feelings about it. Like, it looked promising, but there was this aching feeling in the back of my mind that this was going to be a huge letdown. And when it first started, I didn't know why, as the film sets up its future excellently and once Bruce Willis enters the film, you honestly don't know who you want to root for because both Willlis and Joseph Gordon-Levitt have reasons for doing what they're doing. However, once it gets to the ending, their stories end up being very emotionally unsatisfying, and since you're not invested emotionally, then the clusterf**k time paradox at the end kinda make you got "what the hell?"

I think the best way to fix this movie would be trying to put more focus on Levitt and Willis' characters. When the two talk to each other in the diner, Willis talks about how now that his past is changing, his future memories get very cloudy and harder to remember. In fact, when Levitt first sees Emily Blunt's character, Willis really is struggling to remember his wife because Blunt's character is hampering his memories. I would like to see new bits of Willis not remembering what his wife's face looks like, but knowing she's still there, and when Levittt shoots himself to kill both versions of himself, maybe have Willis life flash backwards, with each bit of his life being overtaken by a gray cloud, before he eventually disappears. I think that would be an ending that you'd be far more invested in.

Saw it tonight with my new-found New Zealand friends. Thought it was spectacular!

Neglify said:
with my new-found New Zealand friends.

they were kind of pale for maoris. ;-)

ssj said:
they were kind of pale for maoris. ;-)

I cannot argue against this. We are indeed pale for maoris.

Agree with Neg. This was some of the best fun I've had at the movies in ages. Loved the direction, loved the characters, loved the sci fi and the plot development...

Just loved it.

All hail New Zealand.

all right, then! i'm no longer ambivalent about seeing this.

as soon as i get a pinch o' time. . . .

njvc said:
I cannot argue against this. We are indeed pale for maoris.

daz ok. on my end, i look exactly like my avatar.

all hail. . . people with facial hair. :-D

I look nothing like my avatar. Except that I'm white.

your belly button ain't red?

Just came back from the film, and I greatly enjoyed it.

It is a very dark movie (especially from a parent's point of view) , much darker and more complex than the trailers suggested. But very, very smart and engaging and refreshingly adult. I would highly recommend it if you are looking for some intelligent character driven science fiction. Thumbs Up!

Finally! A true Sci-Fi movie, gritty, dark, complex and interesting

not everything makes complete sense in the timetravel but the script omits some of the big issues in order to present a very interesting connection between the two characters.

What looked like a run down the mill action movie turned into a fantastic surprise

Sunarep said:
Finally! A true Sci-Fi movie, gritty, dark, complex and interesting

not everything makes complete sense in the timetravel but the script omits some of the big issues in order to present a very interesting connection between the two characters.

What looked like a run down the mill action movie turned into a fantastic surprise

There are plotholes galore time-travel wise - but I like the semi nod to the audience about this....Willis speaking to Gordon-Levitt on this - something about "Makes no sense, we'd be here all day with straws and diagrams trying to work it out."

Other than that, I really enjoyed it. Didn't feel low budget.

just read this article

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=68250

I recorded a commentary track to be downloaded, put on an ipod and listened to in the theater as you’re watching Looper. This is an odd thing I tried with Bloom, and have gotten a few requests for it again, so here it is. It is totally different from the commentary track that will be on the Blu/DVD, a bit more technical and detailed. Needless to say, this is NOT to be listened to on a first viewing, or before you’ve seen the film. Also, please work it so that a glowing screening is never out of your pocket during the movie.

Listen to the introduction before heading to the theater, it has instructions. And lemme know how it works.

this seems like a great idea, if i like a film i'll see it a couple of times at the cinema so it'll be nice to have an alternative viewing second time around

hope this catches on

I saw this today and greatly enjoyed it. Plot holes? Yes. But the ride is fun, and the story satisfying IMO. The only confusion I had, and it could have been because I had to step out of the theater for a split second, was the second appearance of Willis in the past. It was the only time they really referenced multiple timelines and it threw me off.

Other then that, enjoyable.

(Even if it wasn't surprising what boy they were looking for).

I didn't expect the tk stuff, & the guns were ridiculous. That's all the bad i can think of and its not that bad at all.
The makeup was good, the world was believable, the timeliness were a hoot, the kid actor delivered a spectacular performance, the love subplot was subtle and made sense, it was gritty and campy and powerful at all the right times and it was just a fun, morally interesting, surprisingly good movie. Reminded me a little of Blade Runner, and i came out of the theater thinking "they don't make em like that anymore".

Wow, just saw the film on blu ray and the multitude of deleted scenes and I know for a certainty that this movie would be even better with most of them added back in. An actual point to Kid Blue, some deeper understanding of time travel, better old Joe character development. If I had the time/talent, this would be my New Years gift to the universe.

Back
Top Bottom