• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Limbo – my 50-minute edit of “Dunkirk”. Only beach survival scenes. No dialogue. All adrenaline.

Gibichung

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TLDR: Limbo presents an intense, monochrome edit of Dunkirk as a non-stop series of events involving only the perspectives of soldiers at the beach. This is NOT a silent film since music, background voices, and sounds of stress still remain. But key dialogue are removed to serve the creative decisions.

full

Background:
Maple Films’ “Finest Hour” is clearly one of the best fanedit supercuts ever made. It just shows you how creative editors themselves contribute meaningful perspectives to the cinema canon. There’s nothing touching that, and I’m not planning on ever getting to that level.

When I revisited Dunkirk, I felt it was a top 3 Nolan movie. It did everything you know Nolan does- the characters longing out of situations, the three-arc intercutting climaxes, the whole time-dilation mindfuckery thing he does- all the greatest hits. He does them very well. Though I thought, what if we kept at a singular point of view? Would it be possible to maintain the suspense and intensity if we just stayed with the characters on the beach? That was where this edit came from. I went the opposite way from the Maple Films’ magnum opus, maximalist dramatic approach- I went with action, high-octane, boots-on-the-sand approach.

Main Changes:
  • Added 1930’s WB logo animation at the beginning.
  • Movie adjusted for monochrome black and white. Small adjustment to emphasize certain tones.
  • Changed beginning text to “Silentina”, a typeface used on silent films.
  • Removed all scenes involving Mark Rylance, the boys, and “The Sea.”
  • Removed most scenes involving Tom Hardy, Jack Lowden, and “The Air.”
  • Removed most of Sir Kenneth Branagh scenes.
  • Removed dialogue. Some key dialogue replaced with intertitles (like in old silent films), which was fun to pull off.
  • In the epilogue as Tommy is reading the newspaper in the train, the movie transitions to color. When Tommy reads Churchill’s remarks, I kept that audio in for effect up until the end.
Final thoughts:
This became a difficult, yet most rewarding fanedit I worked on so far. There were many audio tricks and manipulation I had to learn on the way, but I felt like I did the best I could. At some point I ended up downloading “water stream ASMR” and “ASMR boat sounds” so that I can replicate water coming into bullet holes of the trawler- crazy stuff like that. The challenge of no dialogue truly brought out a lot of creativity throughout the process.

Having said that, I work on all my fanedits on my personal laptop. It’s the only one I have. It’s a small ASUS laptop which I’ve had for almost 7 years now, and let me tell ya. It took me a whole FULL day (actually like 6 hours) to render, encode, and export this edit. It never usually takes that long, but I found out that having adjusted it to black and whites effects, AND the fact that it was a 4K source really put Premiere Pro to work. Limbo was the final straw. I’m getting a new machine.

Poster:
It was hard to narrow down a whole movie into one poster. I didn’t think it was appropriate to focus the poster on a single character even though we do follow one soldier throughout. The movie itself and how it expressed those events were representative of the soldiers as a collective and their shared trauma and experiences. I felt that Nolan really did treat those “characters” more like “subjects” which is totally fine- Dunkirk had tones of feeling a documentary in a lot of ways. To get to the point, I just extracted images I liked from the movie. I took as many striking images I could and slapped them on a grid That was it. No big deal.

Please let me know if you’re interested on providing feedback and maybe pointing out things I missed. Also, Happy Barbenheimer month!

Last edited:
Updated with new poster art. Deleted the old one from the gallery.

I think that poster is incredible.
Yo, thank you and thank you for the review on the listing! All 100% valid by the way and taken well! I appreciate anyone taking time out of your day to watch it,

I did want to add to your feedback that I totally understand why you didn’t prefer having an epilogue, and I struggled with that too. I think an ending when they arrived on the train late at night would’ve suited nicely- it would fit the title of the fanedit better too. “Like where do we go from here?“ ya know? It could’ve ended there for sure.

I wanted an epilogue for this edit because I really loved the juxtaposition of Tommy reading the newspaper (and us having to hear it), then color coming back to their life, and civilians tending to them (they did save them after all)- compared to the rest of the edit. To me visually, with the plane landing and then it coming on fire (and why I kept those pilot POV scenes as well) were just too beautiful to pass up. There are just some images where I’m like, “Yep, that’s why they’re the filmmakers” lol

Again, it’s a good point you bring up. It’s simply a conscious decision for me- a need for me to bring those boys back home where survival is enough. Survival is victory.

This sounds awesome but holy SHIT that poster has sold me! Those screenshots look so beautiful in black and white and judging from the aspect ratio of them you're using the imax/open matte version? Yes PLEASE!

Is this in the 4:3 imax ratio or is it the 16:9 home release version? Because if you could find a 4:3 source it would look sooooooo cool with the black and white

Last edited:
Is this in the 4:3 imax ratio or is it the 16:9 home release version? Because if you could find a 4:3 source it would look sooooooo cool with the black and white
Sorry just seeing this post now so sorry for the delay hahaa

90% of this fanedit is the 1.78 : 1 IMAX blu-ray aspect ratio. I wanted all the scenes to be in that format because that was the original source and has the most information on screen.

However, the dialogue scenes inside the trawler ship and on the train were shot in 2.39:1. So those I can't help but keep it in that aspect ratio. But of course you already knew all this, just wanted to clarify!

However, the dialogue scenes inside the trawler ship and on the train were shot in 2.39:1. So those I can't help but keep it in that aspect ratio. But of course you already knew all this, just wanted to clarify!
I think you should probably crop the non 16:9 shots to make them 16:9 because the changing the letterboxes just seems too modern for a movie that’s supposed to be all about atmosphere. Although! Here’s an idea: when they’re pinned down in the boat crop it to 1:1 to make it feel claustrophobic. Or if that won’t turn out well, keep only that part in 2.39:1

I think you should probably crop the non 16:9 shots to make them 16:9 because the changing the letterboxes just seems too modern for a movie that’s supposed to be all about atmosphere. Although! Here’s an idea: when they’re pinned down in the boat crop it to 1:1 to make it feel claustrophobic. Or if that won’t turn out well, keep only that part in 2.39:1

I understand what you mean. When I do crop and re-frame the train scenes, I just lose too much resolution and information so I kept it as it is. Inside the trawler ship at 2.39 does give a claustrophobic feeling so it's nice to keep that at least.

I re-ran the export again through all of last night on the ol' laptop. This time, I made sure that the master mix wasn't set higher than it should (it was up by +5 db for some reason before), and I exported in 512 kbps, 48 kHz, Stereo instead of 5.1 to hopefully mitigate some audio issues. Interestingly enough, that may sound counter-intuitive, but it ended up sounding less compressed for me (unfortunately, this was the compromise I got for now until I get better encoding performance with a better machine in the future). All this may not make much of a difference unfortunately. Also, I made sure to remove the audio pops in those two instances from @futon88 's review.

AND... all of Tom Hardy's scenes in the end are now in black and white. It was too good of a suggestion to pass up. He never made it home. It just made sense to keep him in "Limbo", if you will. It kind of reminded me of Oppenheimer when it cuts back in forth from b/w to color. So, thank you for that suggestion!

I rarely re-export something that I've already done and submitted. But if it's technical only and not necessarily creative, I'll try to accommodate as best I can. This new version can be found in the same links, if you're curious! Thanks again.

Last edited:
I'll definitely check it out! And yeah, I think I higher bitrate will trump more channels in this instance. Thanks for taking the time to do that.

UPDATE: I gave the new version a listen. It sounds great.

Last edited:
AND... all of Tom Hardy's scenes in the end are now in black and white. It was too good of a suggestion to pass up. He never made it home. It just made sense to keep him in "Limbo", if you will. It kind of reminded me of Oppenheimer when it cuts back in forth from b/w to color. So, thank you for that suggestion!
And thank you for putting it in! I just looked at it and it looks perfect! I may be tooting my own horn here but the weight of when you realize what the black and white represented (the people who didn't make it home) hits so perfectly when you see all the other people in color and Tom Hardy still in black and white :,)

I'm downloading it now to see if the audio sounds better!

And thank you for putting it in! I just looked at it and it looks perfect! I may be tooting my own horn here but the weight of when you realize what the black and white represented (the people who didn't make it home) hits so perfectly when you see all the other people in color and Tom Hardy still in black and white :,)

I'm downloading it now to see if the audio sounds better!
Toot all the way!!

I hope not!

After it was already submitted, I went to update the details of the listing with special thanks to some of our peers and things like that. It’s currently back under moderator review again.

I think thats what happens when you update information. It’s taken out of the listing until it gets reapproved, unfortunately.

Physical media artwork insert

sry7q1w3bzoc1.jpg

wib9ipp2bzoc1.jpg
f00ikae3bzoc1.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom