• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

LFE channel not playing back

You confused me. ​I don't want stereo.

Ignore what I said then. :p It was late. I was verrry tired when I posted that. Your stereo downmixing comment got me side tracked onto a different issue I once had.

Did you find the stereo downmix button? Why do you think that will help? just something related to your audio output settings from Vegas for previewing? Are you editing a 5.1 mix on a computer with stereo speakers that you are previewing on?

That forum post I linked to suggested that the issue may lie with the mystical downmix button accidentally being activated. I am editing 5.1 and previewing through (obviously) stereo heaphones, but the LFE problem is not related to that, as I can hear the LFE channel in another project I'm working on.

I just really want someone to tell me where the damn button is, or if it exists so I can rule it out as the problem. :?

reave said:
That forum post I linked to suggested that the issue may lie with the mystical downmix button accidentally being activated. I am editing 5.1 and previewing through (obviously) stereo heaphones, but the LFE problem is not related to that, as I can hear the LFE channel in another project I'm working on.

I just really want someone to tell me where the damn button is, or if it exists so I can rule it out as the problem. :?

So the stereo downmix button (at least the way my Vegas is configured) is at the top right of my window above the surround master mixer stuff. There is a little white button with an arrow that says "project audio properties" when I scroll over it. Just to the right of that is a button with an orange dot in the middle of a blue box that says "downmix output" when you scroll over it.

If that works, I suspect I was actually correct in my tired statement last night and it is related to the fact that you are listening to a 5.1 audio track on 2.0 speakers. Could be wrong, but I bet the reason you could hear it on a different project is either because that project's audio properties are set to stereo, or you are hearing base coming from a channel other than the LFE channel. In that other project, if you solo just the LFE channel, do you hear anything?

If this does in fact seem to solve the issue, keep in mind that in my experience, the "stereo downmix" button is a poor substitute for an actual 2.0 audio track. It seems to do the same kind of poor downmixing that some hardware does downmixing 5.1 tracks on the fly. (this is why stereo audio tracks are nice when they are included as an additional track). In other words, the audio sounds different between when I select "stereo downmix" vs. changing audio project properties to 2.0. Experiment with this. You may find if you are editing with headphones that you would be better off to switch the audio project properties to stereo initially, and then you can switch it back to 5.1 when closer to a completed stage. It will save the original surround information, but obviously you will not be able to modify the surround information without first switching project properties back. Thus far I have never personally experienced any problems by switching back and forth between the two modes.

I can hear the LFE in the other project when I solo it.

I don't want a stereo downmix, I just want to be able to hear my LFE channel so I can properly mix it. :)

I'll look for that button when I get home. Hopefully that's the problem and i can just undo it.

This is starting to really piss me off.
No settings that I have changed have done anything. I tried replacing the LFE with a new rip of it with no luck. I'm getting closer to the end of this and really have no desire to start from scratch AGAIN.

case closed. hidden audio envelope (set to zero) was hidden...

fixed.gif

Back
Top Bottom