• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Length of time to do an edit.

No no, I worded that wrong. I meant I worked for 6 months, in my free time, spread over a year. A few hours a week, I guess.

Well my Back To the Future Edit has took me about 6 weeks and pretty darn addictive its been, at a bit of a loss now its basically finished. I'd say I've spent easily 130-140 hours on it. Hope it shows.....

A fanedit is never finished, only abandoned.

Adabisi said:
A fanedit is never finished, only abandoned.

yeah I can't see me deleting my latest project files anytime soon...  I've still got some extra ideas but I just don't know how to integrate them in without overstuffing it..

Problem Eliminator said:
No no, I worded that wrong. I meant I worked for 6 months, in my free time, spread over a year. A few hours a week, I guess.

I'm pretty sure he understood that and was just making a joke.  See smiley.

I would say my edits have taken between 60-80 hours on average, more if I have to redo a lot of sound design and search for the appropriate sounds. Luckily I’ve already pretty much had a cutlist in my head for my edits before I even start so that speeds up the process a bit. I’ve had a lot of free time this month so I’ve completed three different fan edits in October. All Halloween series related because it seemed fitting given the season.

The crazy thing to me is that my IT edit took over 30 hours to do, but I only ended up removing about 20 minutes. I did one re-compositing shot, added a ton of new music cues and pan-and-scanned every frame for the 16:9 aspect ratio conversion, but since. I thought the running time would be much shorter when I was done than it actually was.

So lets see my rocky edit started in January and is now April I'd say each month I do 6 hours of editing so I'd say ive spent 20hrs on my rock you edit approximately

SonofSinbad said:
So lets see my rocky edit started in January and is now April I'd say each month I do 6 hours of editing so I'd say ive spent 20hrs on my rock you edit approximately

Next step, post editing ;)
Or preventative previews

SonofSinbad said:

Just looked back at this probably around the 50 hour mark now

I find that it can vary wildly how long it takes. Doing my work print for the Stand, I did the first two parts in about 3 months. I did the last two parts in less than a week (with the bulk of that coming on one particularly inspired afternoon).

My IT edit took about 30-40 days to get to a 1.0 and another month of back and forth to get where it is now. 

My Shining (1997) edit is like 4 months and counting. 

In terms of hard hours, I don’t really track that. But that may not be the most useful metric anyway, since few of us (none?) have 20 or 30 hours to throw down in a relatively short period anyway.

Conrad MacIntyre said:
In terms of hard hours, I don’t really track that. But that may not be the most useful metric anyway, since few of us (none?) have 20 or 30 hours to throw down in a relatively short period anyway.

I know its really sad, but as i have nothing to do this week as its school holidays im editing non stop 12pm to around 11pm and maybe even more so id say ive done around already 35 hours on My new edit of Spiderman 3

That could just be normal days of editing for some of you and if it is.      How do you do it.

I think TM2YC’s Blade Runner regrade and Adywan’s Revisited  should be the standard bearers.

Personally I spent at least 4-5 hours of work a week for a full year. Overall at least 250 hours including initial research and experiments, rebuilding the edit from a different source, and blu ray menus and design.

If I had to pin down the time for the editing alone, maybe 100 hours? Most projects probably wouldn't have as many pieces to finish.

Siliconmaster said:
Personally I spent at least 4-5 hours of work a week for a full year. Overall at least 250 hours including initial research and experiments, rebuilding the edit from a different source, and blu ray menus and design.

If I had to pin down the time for the editing alone, maybe 100 hours? Most projects probably wouldn't have as many pieces to finish.

100 hours seems pretty accurate for me as well. I probably spent about 120-130 hours on my Dark Knight edit trying to get everything just right. However, my most recent edit of Halloween (2018) probably only took me about 8 hours to do. So it varies for me but at least 100 hours for my more extensive projects.

SonofSinbad said:
Conrad MacIntyre said:

I know its really sad, but as i have nothing to do this week as its school holidays im editing non stop 12pm to around 11pm and maybe even more so id say ive done around already 35 hours on My new edit of Spiderman 3

That could just be normal days of editing for some of you and if it is.      How do you do it.

I don't think that's sad! Hell, I'd love to have that much time to edit!  :) Okay, maybe not that much but I do find fanediting to be relaxing and it helps so much with my anxiety. I've been working on a free lance editing project for the last month or so and I haven't had any time to fanedit. Definitely missing it.

FanEditing is a long road for me ?
It does all depend on time and skill set and other times... story/plot block and real life stuff.
My Hitman edit took me many hours spread over a few years, it was also my first time editing so I had a big learning curve with it (60+ hours) and still not finished.
My Max Payne edit I lost after years of editing hours (100+ hours) learnt a lot from that one, that hurt.
My other edits mostly have story blocks or missing footage which is needed.
I tend to play around with edit ideas for about 2 or 3 hours a day, unless other things happen.
I always see it as a hobby, so as long as I'm enjoying it, I'm happy. ?

Back
Top Bottom