• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Kings...

InfoDroid

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Did anyone catch the premiere of the new series "Kings" last night on NBC? I thought it was pretty awesome. It's a modern / alternate history-like retelling of the King David story. I loved it.

http://www.nbc.com/Kings/

Didn't see it, as I don't watch TV as it airs... but I read a review, and it sounded interesting, possibly along the lines of Carnivàle, one of my favorite shows.

Incidentally, it's been nearly two months since I wished you good health, ID. So, good health! :wink:

Ian McShane....think ill give that a miss.

hes a bad actor.

I actually met him once before I really knew who he is.
Well I didn't really talk to him, but they were filming a scene for Lovejoy I think at a gas station we used to own.
They were calling the show Blood Sport (about horse racing) or something like that. I remember because there was a Van Damme movie by that name.

I gotta admit that I thought he looked creepy but he was really hamming it up with the crew and was making everybody laugh so I have a positive recollection about him.

Okay I looked it up, it wasn't Lovejoy, it was "Dick Francis: Blood Sport" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097199/

Having said all that, I haven't really watched much of his stuff, though I am interested in checking out Deadwood.

zeppelinrox said:
though I am interested in checking out Deadwood.

just imagine Scarface but in the Wild Wild West and you're halfway there.

AvP said:
hes a bad actor.

This was the first time I've seen him in anything, and I thought he was perfectly cast and pretty convincing in this role. It seems to me that if Al Pacino ate Brian Cox, then you'd get Ian McShane.

episode 3 was really good. I enjoyed watching it and look forward to the next episodes.

I thought Ian McShane was very good in Sexy Beast, so I wouldn't mind watching him in Kings. Besides he's in an American TV show so he's got half a chance. I think most of the programs I watch now are from the USA, British TV just doesn't seem to beable to hack it anymore.

Appart from shows involving Sir David Attenborough, of course. :)

This is my new favorite show! Can't wait for it to come on each week... Which means it's almost certainly going to be cancelled.

(See also: Journeyman) :(

so far it looks like it is quite successful. ratings are good.

the last 2 episodes were a bit boring IMHO. Could this show already lose its drive?

I agree, Boon. The last two episodes have gotten sidetracked by subplots being used as the main story. Kinda strange direction they're pulling it in. I liked the whole Princess getting kidnapped thing, but you're right, the rest of it was very boring. :x

ok, after episode 6 I have decided to put the show into the bin...

It's too bad. I really don't know where they're going with it. Virtually NOTHING happened in the last episode. Maybe it would've made a better movie.

Saw the promos for this a year or so back, and was interested then. Didn't start watching until now, in hopes of gleaning something useful for my cut. So far it's been really enjoyable.

The story centers around a young soldier that, against all odds, rescues others held hostage by a rival nation. One of the hostages turns out to be the king's son, so the kid is thrust into the limelight of the capital city and the royal court. It's both based on and loosely inspired by the Biblical account of David and how he rose to become a king of Israel, but, strangely, Christianity isn't a strong theme of the show. While the kingdom instituted freedom of religion upon unification, the state religion doesn't wield a cross or anything else. Biblical tales and symbolism are vague, or obscure, so the underlying inspiration is far more subtle then you might expect.

The one thing that I enjoy the most about this show is just how real it feels. It doesn't have the bathos emotion of a soap opera, or the dramatic intensity of other miniseries. Rather, it just feels like the day-to-day "real" issues that would actually happen in such a situation. This does lead to many episodes being mostly stand-alone with little plot-development, but it's a fair trade-off for an alternative to the writing and presentation of shows such as Lost or BSG.

The show was canceled following the first season, so they aired the final few episodes with various cuts (that can be found on the DVD release) that would have introduced intrigue for a second season. Despite that, it feels like it resolves itself rather well so you can treat it as a miniseries rather than an episodic show.

If anyone else has seen it, feel free to bring up whatever you'd like. I'd enjoy have some conversation about what's going on episode-to-episode.

You can watch it for free online here, starting with the two-part, one-and-a-half hour pilot: Goliath, Parts I and II (Each following episode is 43 minutes)

Man, I need to remember to use the search function. I'm usually good with that. Thought the show would be a bit more "obscure" to be brought up here, since I hadn't read about it anywhere else.

Merge?

Back
Top Bottom